Apparently, we have a syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
Adult Baby Syndrome -- Pate and Gabbard 160 (11): 1932 -- Am J Psychiatry

I came across this about twenty minutes ago. I think the patient was getting something sexual out of the sessions.

Note the number of times that the authors state that most sufferers of this syndrome do not consider themselves patients. I don't know enough about psychiatry to know whether such an assertion has negative connotations (as in, "poor them") or is just a statement of fact. I'm also not sure what the psychiatrists would consider a positive outcome. Getting rid of our desire? Helping us live a normal life with our syndrome?

Overall, this case was a very poor example of the typical *BDL, and I hate to think what site the researcher found (from the description and the fact that you could buy diapers there, I'm guessing DPF). I might email the researcher.

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
tl;dr. I think I've seen it before though, and I doubt it's a syndrome for most people. Might be for Deeker though.

PostTenebrasLux

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
I've read this article several times. There are a few more like it, but as far as I can tell, this has been the most recent appearance of AB/DLs or infantilism in psychological literature. In all of the literature I've gone through (not a great deal, but more than we'd expect to have existed...), the general theme seems to be that the infantilists should receive treatment so they might change and have normal desires.

I'd like to say more, but I keep writing things and deleting. I need to think about this for a while. I get pretty worked up about this...

Damn straight. Why articles like this are published, I'm not sure... Do people expect this case to generalize somehow? Complete BS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Korey

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
Most complicated issue for us to solve. If I say, "I don't have a disorder," a doctor could easily say that "denial" or "acceptance", is part of the syndrome.

But then again, it is a disorder sooooo w.e

amirite?

dinorider

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
No I don't. Fetishes (including BDSM and others) were recently removed from the list of psychological disorders in Sweden :D

JustInCase

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Wow, very interesting article. It said that he works in law enforcment that could meen he's a cop. It's obvious that he didn't want "treatment" (how can you treat a fetish?) but was just looking for someone that he could share his desires with face to face. Kinda weird that he went dressed as a baby, he must have enjoyed everyone seeing him.

BabyMullet

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
In the 1930 there was a lot of work done by Freud, and his student (nother European name, Riech or Reich, I know I have the spelling wrong.) were freakin obsessed with sexual orgasms and how that would react to society. While they have good thoughts to put on the table, it's like a pair of blinders to the field of psychology to focus on one person only.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
O my good heavens. Sometimes anything can be a disorder, if it is constitutes a problem. If the thing doesn't harm your functioning, it isn't an illness. Guess what, I look at pRon sometimes!! It's true!! But as it doesn't interfere with relationships, finances, the law, and so forth, it isn't a problem, therefore not a disorder.

kudos to harris for the citation, though. When people say "I heard somewhere" about interesting stuff it irks me. Citations make me happy.

Corri

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Incontinent, Carer
The DSM IV and Future DSM V (Diagnostic Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) Lists paraphlitic infantilism requiring treatment as only a disorder when it greatly hinders the life of the patient for more then three or four weeks. Then again all "disorders" MUST follow this trait. It is also classified as a fetish, and fetishes are never a disorder.

I cant recall infatilisim ever hindering my life... so I think I'm alright.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I've seen this article several times as well. I wonder when it was actually written, as it seems very dated. I also wondered if the "patient" didn't have a lot more problems than just the occasional diaper wearing. One can slip into a fantasy state of being. I wondered about Diaberpants who wants to live his life full time as a baby.

When I was taken to a shrink by my mom years ago, he didn't dwell very much on my infantilism, but was much more concerned with "other" things that were affecting my ability to live in the real world. He thought I would outgrow the infantilism which I didn't. I didn't outgrow my other problems. I just learned how to live with them. I tend to think the whole article is somewhat bogus, but I could be wrong.

WildThing121675

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Carer
Shrinks don't always understand things. I went to one for a while after being diagnosed with Asperger's and I mentioned the AB thing to her. I told her that I thought it was an after-effect of having to wear diapers for a few years.

I have read that article once before, and found it kind of fascinating and I loved how that shrink jumped to conclusions.

WildThing121675

K

kitty0230

i read this before on the old tbdl, on another note, I have told a psych about this and they don't see anything wrong with it, which disapointed my parents, so not all shrinks have a problem with it

Role
Other
The thing about this patient, though, is that he's actually "suffering" from a mental condition. He feels trapped as an "adult baby" and it's consuming his life.

Nearly all AB/DL's don't fit these criteria. Rather, it's more in line with it being a 'fetish' whether sexual or a 'lifestyle' if not (and, both, of course are possible).

I've seen this article several times as well. I wonder when it was actually written, as it seems very dated. I also wondered if the "patient" didn't have a lot more problems than just the occasional diaper wearing. One can slip into a fantasy state of being. I wondered about Diaberpants who wants to live his life full time as a baby.

When I was taken to a shrink by my mom years ago, he didn't dwell very much on my infantilism, but was much more concerned with "other" things that were affecting my ability to live in the real world. He thought I would outgrow the infantilism which I didn't. I didn't outgrow my other problems. I just learned how to live with them. I tend to think the whole article is somewhat bogus, but I could be wrong.
Published in 2003, usually means written no later than 2002, and probably not before 2000.

Last edited by a moderator:

PostTenebrasLux

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Wow--did BitterGray come here? I hope he still does. I always kind of figured that if I had to share this with someone, I'd inevitably do a poor job verbally, and would direct the person to BitterGray's site.

i read this before on the old tbdl, on another note, I have told a psych about this and they don't see anything wrong with it, which disapointed my parents, so not all shrinks have a problem with it
Catty0320 -

Glad to hear your psych didn't have any problem with this. I've been to a couple (my own choice--nobody made me see them), but have never brought up infantilism. The most recent one knew I was holding something back, but I stopped going. Maybe sometime I'll head back...not sure if it'd help.

Maybe that'd be a good topic; if being AB/DL is a 'problem', how helpful is counseling? I wonder if folks here on ADISC have benefited in one way or another from talking about it with the professionals. My general hunch is that currently, the best 'treatment' for our syndrome is participation in forums like this one (are there other ADISCs?).

mizzycub

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I have read this article before. I am glad about when it was written, if this had been a modern view it wouldn't have been nice. It gives a really bad view of infantilism - an extreme case and badly dealt with. I'd say the syndrome he has is probably one of adiction, and this is what he has latched on to. *BDL itself is not considered an illness unless it impacts on operating outside of it itself. Until it effects that stuff, it isn't a major problem.

I would say that the extreme case combined with old fashioned views mean that this article isn't so good. Also, people have mentioned the freudian aspects of it. So much of Freud now is considered inaccurate, or at least not as accurate as it could be, that other models are better.

DLGrif

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Infantilism has certainly made my life more difficult, but only because I place absurd goals on myself, and it so distracts me.

jter42

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Other
how can they make a conclusion from one guy...? *no i didnt read the entire article the beginning was boring enough >.<*

Status
Not open for further replies.