Anyone know how to make a good baby bouncer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGnome

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
I was wondering if anyone here knows where to buy or make an adult baby bouncer? It's basically attached to the ceiling and bouncy like rope attached. I found a picture of one but they didn't say how to make or where to buy it. Especially velcro diaper looking seat. I attached the pic of the baby bouncer design I really liked! I been wanting one for a long time!

Attachments

• 74e4a22a-948b-435d-9313-304138c9f084.jpg
    74e4a22a-948b-435d-9313-304138c9f084.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: ronnieM
There were picks of someone who used a garage door spring to make a bouncer a few years ago. I think it just used a standard climbing/fall harness for the interface to the user.

Reactions: MrGnome
They do look like fun. A couple of things to consider, in case you go the DIY route: (I guess these are pretty common-sense, so...no offense intended, just to be clear!)

*) While the weight of a baby/toddler is unlikely to threaten the average ceiling joist or beam or door frame, the weight of an adult--especially a bouncing adult--is another matter entirely. It might be necessary to get up into the attic and construct some beefy attach point for your jumper. A beam across multiple ceiling joists, for instance.
*) It probably goes without saying that garage door springs are best for garages. And, like their smaller trampoline counterparts, they can detonate violently and fling shrapnel everywhere if they're overstressed. If I was going to build any sort of a jumper with these, I'd make sleeves for them out of some really tough fabric. Because eye patches look better on pirates than on big babies!

And this is a random thought, but: What about bungie-jumping cords? I don't know how available they are, how expensive they are, or if working with them is at all straightforward, so they may be more trouble than they're worth. Still... I can't help but be a little more drawn to big bungies than the big springs.

For some reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: WillFord384, TyphaHare and MrGnome
Bungee jumping codrs cords are a bit too stretch, they go between 3 and 4 times their unstretched length. Even regular bungee shock cord stretches about double it's length.

willnotwill said:
Bungee jumping codrs cords are a bit too stretch, they go between 3 and 4 times their unstretched length. Even regular bungee shock cord stretches about double it's length.
Aw, come on. High ceiling and a ladder. Fixed! :) Or maybe doubling or tripling the cord? (But I see what you mean.)

Anyway... Just drawing attention to the fact that these are more of an engineering feat than they might seem. Bruised bottoms, heads, assorted welts, and other more serious injuries are totally possible. I'd be very hesitant to follow somebody's "Instructable" (or similar) for one of these.

Last edited:
Cottontail said:
especially a bouncing adult
This can't be emphasized enough. The difference between a static load and a dynamic load is pretty significant. The springs or cords will smooth it out somewhat, but you're still going to be putting a lot of force on the ceiling joists.

As you said, making one of these that isn't going to destroy you or your house isn't as trivial as it looks.

Personally if I were to attempt it, I'd probably build some kind of free standing frame from 4x4s in the basement..

Reactions: TyphaHare, MrGnome and Sheepies
Honestly if I were to attempt this I would say use a nice big strong tree instead if you've got one. If the branch breaks, no biggie. Maybe some boo boos. But if the support beam in your house breaks that's a disaster waiting to happen. OR, consider having a custom frame made

I`d strongly suggest you mount it outside. Internal structure of celing/roof is not designed to take any heavy or shock loads.
I'm not a Structual Engineer but I have experience in being in the State Emergency Service (I live in South Australia) and going to jobs where there are collapsed celings or unstable walls.

From what Cottontail said, springs don't sound safe either.

And wear a helmet the first time :LOL:

Reactions: sissybaby34
Cottontail said:
They do look like fun. A couple of things to consider, in case you go the DIY route: (I guess these are pretty common-sense, so...no offense intended, just to be clear!)

*) While the weight of a baby/toddler is unlikely to threaten the average ceiling joist or beam or door frame, the weight of an adult--especially a bouncing adult--is another matter entirely. It might be necessary to get up into the attic and construct some beefy attach point for your jumper. A beam across multiple ceiling joists, for instance.
*) It probably goes without saying that garage door springs are best for garages. And, like their smaller trampoline counterparts, they can detonate violently and fling shrapnel everywhere if they're overstressed. If I was going to build any sort of a jumper with these, I'd make sleeves for them out of some really tough fabric. Because eye patches look better on pirates than on big babies!

And this is a random thought, but: What about bungie-jumping cords? I don't know how available they are, how expensive they are, or if working with them is at all straightforward, so they may be more trouble than they're worth. Still... I can't help but be a little more drawn to big bungies than the big springs.

For some reason.
Yes that could be a problem! I don't want to rip a hole in my roof! Yes I agree bungie-jumping cords would be better. What I really like about the design in the pic I attached, is the the seat. I think it's just a velcro cloth diaper cover attached to bungie thing? I wish the person who uploaded the photo explained the materials they used to make it. It just looks so comfy I just wanna slip right into it! Ive seen other designs and though they were bit ugly or too low to the floor.

I also heard bouncing motions helps people with anxiety and other conditions like aspergers. My wife has aspergers and I have social anxiety. But besides the fetish I think it's very relaxing healthy activity going bounceys!

willnotwill said:
Making knots in the cord might shorten it, but might have to make alot of them haha.

Sheepies said:
Honestly if I were to attempt this I would say use a nice big strong tree instead if you've got one. If the branch breaks, no biggie. Maybe some boo boos. But if the support beam in your house breaks that's a disaster waiting to happen. OR, consider having a custom frame made
I would love to do it outside, but have wait till I get more land with more privacy. Neighbors pretty much ruin everything!

Reactions: Sheepies
mmm... this topic again. :) [not complaining - my jumper(s) make me very happy]

So here are a few videos of interest, from the tube of you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDkafZhvfcs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV8FeXge28c

Outside is your best bet. Indoor installation *is* possible and I've done it -- I live in a cold climate so you know very well I'm not doing much outside in the snow -- but unless you own your home and don't mind some structural alterations, go outside. I've used solid trees, a not-currently-used-for-trains railroad bridge, and some weird beam thing that was attached to my deck at a place I rented for a while.

You've got a few options for bounce. Metal springs and bungees. They feel *very* different from each other. Both have safety considerations. I prefer metal springs, so I have more to say about them.

BUNGEE CORDS -- noteworthy bits: The fabric/cloth-wrapped ones will be safer than bare rubber, because the fabric will stop the stretch at a certain length. If you're "bottoming out" often (reaching the fabric-enforced limit) then you DEFINITELY need more bungees. They come in varying diameters with varying "bounciness" so there's no definite rule for how many you need. I have a set of *eight* together that work for me. If you buy "tie-downs," you DO NOT want to use the original hooks that come on them -- the cord itself pulls through them very easily. Buy bungee cords 3x longer than you think you need, and loop them back and forth so there are three sections next to each other. This reduces the stress on the actual ends. Bungees' benefit is that the length is infinitely adjustable, so there really isn't much to discuss -- measure the length you need, multiply by how many you think it'll take for your weight, and buy the fabric ones in case your math is wrong, you'll just end up with rope instead of pain.

I *greatly* prefer the bounce of metal springs, but there's a bit more to consider, because they come in specific lengths and because, with few exceptions, they don't have any built-in stretch limit.

If you've chosen to install indoors, you don't have much for traveling distance. You want short springs. If you use trampoline springs, take your weight, divide by 40, and use that number *next to each other*. If you want longer travel, double them in length. (examples: I'm 120 lbs, I need 3 springs. If I want to travel further, I need 6 springs -- three strings of two each).

If you're outdoors, or in a place with a *very* high ceiling, garage door extension springs are a very viable option. They are rated by the weight of the door - buy a set that matches your weight, or the next size up. You will be using two of them, side-by-side, see videos.

IMPORTANT SAFETY BITS: the springs (usually) come with a piece of steel cable and some fittings. The idea is to run this piece of cable down through the center of the spring and secure it on both ends. This takes care of two safety-related issues: one, it limits how far you can stretch the spring, so you won't break it if you have a particularly heavy dinner, and two, if you do manage to break one, the cable keeps the loose end in check. In practice, I often replace the cable with heavy rope.

For hardware, head to any hardware store and pick up some "carabiner" clips, rated AT LEAST twice your weight... If it doesn't have the weight rating written on it (or the package), don't buy it. If it says "NOT FOR CLIMBING" then run far far away.

Attachment -- my favorite "easy" attachment point was the railroad bridge. I simply looped a piece of heavy chain over one of the ties and carabiner'ed a spring to each end of it.

SEAT/HARNESS: As another mentioned, you CAN use a climbing harness. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoiIUHwPsqg was fun... but as you might note, it's not much like an actual jumper. By far the best readily-available jumper-style seat out there is the "Airy Fairy" swing. They're a bit spendy sometimes, but if you watch the bay of E long enough they usually pop up in the $50 range, sometimes even cheaper on the list from ol' Craig. Other options... if you're small, you can try to find the special needs version of the Merry Muscles, works up to a 30" waist or so. I made an enlarged version which I initially offered to make more of but I could never really find time to make that work -- if you're good with a sewing machine, I can send you that drawing. HABA has some other largish-looking "baby" swings I haven't tried yet. Lastly, and this appears in one or two of the videos I posted, if you get one of the frame-type backpack carriers with a "square" seat, you can sometimes remove the seat from the frame and that works rather well.

If you search the forum, this topic has been brought up a few times. I'm always willing to discuss as well.

DON'T BE SCARED. I point out all of the safety things I've encountered, and how I've deal with them, and that can sound daunting, but, in the end, think about it -- you're deliberately jumping in a harness that lifts you up but each time lowers you enough to touch the floor. You can't possibly fall any further than you're already deliberately jumping, because the floor is there. If you hang your springs with two clips from two eye bolts and each is rated to twice your weight, you've got a safety margin of 400% -- the springs aren't coming down. The cable through the middle means that you won't over-stretch them, and if one does break, the cable will catch the end, so it's not going to slingshot at you. The worst /likely/ failure is you falling, a few feet - the height you were jumping anyway. I've had it happen, it's how I learned what works and what doesn't. I'm still here, still in excellent health, and still jumping.

Reactions: WillFord384
How high between where your springs were attached and the ground?
If it says "NOT FOR CLIMBING" then run far far away.
I had a tube of Coppertone sunscreen that had a cheesy plastic carabiner attached to it. It was marked "not for climbing." Yeah, I always want to put my weight on a piece of plastic that came with a bottle of sunscreen.

Last edited:
For me, between 15 and 20 feet seems to work well. I am using two sets of 140lb garage door springs.

The "not for climbing" carabiners I had in mind are the ones people use for keychains -- they're metal, but cheap flimsy metal that would never hold a person up.

Reactions: DiaperDiva
Great post and thanks for the advice on building the bouncer. I've been making some prototypes and have not had much luck. Still working out the right pattern and fabric combination. What are you using as the fabric for your seats?

Anotherarp said:
Great post and thanks for the advice on building the bouncer. I've been making some prototypes and have not had much luck. Still working out the right pattern and fabric combination. What are you using as the fabric for your seats?
If you have a Joann or other fabric/craft/sewing store near you, go in and browse through the fabric and pick out something you like. Be realistic about the thickness.

Their (ie, Joann's) "outdoor fabric" is what I most often use for carriers. I've made jumpers out of everything. My best one so far (the fully enlarged merry muscles) was at walmart, disguised as a fabric tablecloth.

They are all two layers. This isn't strictly necessary if you're using heavy enough fabric, but I like to hide my seams, so by using two layers "back to back" I can keep all of the ugliness enclosed.

Squat rack, 4 extremely heavy duty resistance bands, 4 carabiners, leather belt with strong buckle and a pair of oversized cloth diapers to sew the belt into.

Plus with this set up you can get ripped when you’re not being little.

Rarity said:
Squat rack, 4 extremely heavy duty resistance bands, 4 carabiners, leather belt with strong buckle and a pair of oversized cloth diapers to sew the belt into.

Plus with this set up you can get ripped when you’re not being little.

Yeah, I have a power rack from Rogue and I've hung from it lots of times, not to mention that I trust it to catch the barbell in any failed squats or bench presses. So if I attempt to create a bouncer it will certainly be based on this rack.

Come to think of it, I already have a set of these bands:

xx1731-lg_1.jpg

Reactions: Rarity
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back