Anyone Here Use Vinyl Music?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Secret

Im wondering if anyone here uses vinyl instead of MP3s and CDs. from 12's to 45's whats your collection like how big or how small and what player you use for it.

Yes the giant picture was very necessary!

WhiteWolf

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
  2. Private
I use to use vinyl... then the player broke. My collection is truly mine, its my grandmothers and mainly includes about 20 albums of vicente fernandez and about 15 or so other mexican singers.

Hello_Kitty

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Other
o0o0oh I'm always scoping GoodWill for records.
Give me tomorrow and I'll list my stash in the morning ^_^

angelabauer

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
Oh yes, my husband Don had a big vinyl and even some 78 records when we met. He had a really good turntable, which unfortunately did not have 78. Often we would listen to those albums.

My folks and grandparents always were playing albums as I grew up, everything from classical through jazz and big band then rock. About 2000 Don bought Diamond Cut software that reduces clicks and so on when converting old records to CD. Along with that software Don bought a really great turntable which was reconditioned after being sold by a radio station converting to only CD. This does have 78. The turntables of my folks and grandparents gave up ages ago. They gave us all those albums. Don has been restoring them on CD. All my relatives love the restored CD.

Even with the clicks Don and I really prefer listening to the original vinyl.

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
One of the greatest resources for unusual vinyl has been the "FREE SHIT" bin at college radio stations.

I use vinyl tons. While I don't often listen to music on vinyl, I often like vinyl for sampling -- it's great to be able to pull a really (intentional) horrible quality sound sample from a vinyl track and sequence it for whatever, whether it be for making loops or samples.

quattrus

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Carer
I have a vinyl collection that I inherited from relatives that spaces from classical music to rock from the seventies/eighties, to some pop 45s from the sixties, and I even have some ceramic 78 rpm records, these ones mainly with classical music. Tbh, I haven't been listening to them in quite a while...

For 33 and 45 rpms I have a Technics turntable bought by my dad 30 years ago, and for the ceramic 78 rpms a cheaper one that is something like 40/50 years old but still working perfectly.

S

Secret

I found like half of my collection in a house that was being torn down, which consisted of The Beats, Bruce springstien, ELO, Hendrix, The doors, Led zepplin and some original Rolling Stones stuff. And the other half I either bought at goodwill or at a dedicated record store.

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Other
I have a fairly good collection of vinyl (about 100 or so albums) and a working Technics SL-B2 turntable (recently cleaned the controls and replaced the belt). I also have almost all the Beatles' albums on vinyl. Sometimes it's just fun to listen to music on a record player...it's just a different feeling, and the impurities in the sound quality add to it in a nice way IMO.

Oh and ELO....kicks ass :D

A

Asher

One of the greatest resources for unusual vinyl has been the "FREE SHIT" bin at college radio stations.

I use vinyl tons. While I don't often listen to music on vinyl, I often like vinyl for sampling -- it's great to be able to pull a really (intentional) horrible quality sound sample from a vinyl track and sequence it for whatever, whether it be for making loops or samples.

Dawes, do you DJ? : )

I listen to vinyls and use them for my DJ sets for the same reasons Dawes has listed above.

- Asher

Altric

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
I have my own little collection of vinyl. Vinyl is the ONLY way to listen to '80s heavy metal (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, etc...).

I have 2 Technics SL-1200s that I use regularly which I have integrated into my computer and surround system.

On the note of college radio station vinyl...I volunteered at a college radio station, and since I actually knew what vinyl was and listened to it, I was given 4 large boxes of records that they were going to get rid of. That's also how I got the Technics units. They didn't want to pay the money to buy a new needle stylus for each of them and $10 in replacement parts for the one. It cost me $60 total for 2 new needle stylii and the replacement knobs. So I look at it as paying the sixty bucks for 2 turntables that new would cost upwards of $500 each!

kite

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Carer
love my black crack :)
some of my prized pieces are afrikka bambataa - planet rock, Red Hot Chili Peppers - Higher Ground (w/ remixes <3), some ELO, Metallica black album on heavy weight vinyl (reprint), ect. playing on my Numark TT-X through my Tascam X9. love switching on the fly between my vinyl and time coded vinyl to play my mp3's.

S

Secret

love my black crack :)
some of my prized pieces are afrikka bambataa - planet rock, Red Hot Chili Peppers - Higher Ground (w/ remixes <3), some ELO, Metallica black album on heavy weight vinyl (reprint), ect. playing on my Numark TT-X through my Tascam X9. love switching on the fly between my vinyl and time coded vinyl to play my mp3's.
Ooooh Afrika Bambattaa - planet rock is my favorite especialy on vinyl!

Dash

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Well I upgraded my Numark TT's to a pair of Stanton STR8-150s last Christmas, hoping I could get into Vinyl mixing a bit more. Now they're in their flight cases in my cupboard cos I have nowhere to put them, seeing as my CDJs take up most of my desk space.

By the by, I LOVE VINYL! I have all my dad's old stuff as well as my own - the first ever Now That's What I Call Music! is in there somewhere.

But most of my collection is funky house, electro house, a bit of hard house, some RnB and a few rock classics (99 Problems, Walk This Way, Rapper's Delight, stuff like that.)

My all-time fav within my vinyl repertoire has to be the original press of EYEBALL by Sunburst... aka the Eyeball Paul Theme from Kevin & Perry: Go Large.

Anyone else collect/just so happen to own some rare stuff on vinyl?

Kovy

is back, baby!
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
Not often, but I have a bunch of U2 albums on vinyl, one of them being somewhat rare. My collection:

Boy
October
War*
The Unforgettable Fire
The Joshua Tree
Rattle and Hum
Zooropa*

* means it is framed in my bedroom. Being an original edition, the Zooropa album, which I was born to, is the rare one.

skinnypuppy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I have something like 300 vinyl records of all sorts, having been the dumping ground of my extended family's collections.
folk
pop of the 70's and 80's
some classical and show tunes

I'm hoping to get a way to convert them to mp3, but a USB turntable costs about a hundred bucks :(

S

secretdl26

My dad introduced to vinyl with some of his old records (Neil Young "Harvest Moon" and Jethro Tull "Aqualung"), and I do like to listen to vinyl now and then. My friend's parents (who were stereotypical mid-70s hippies) have an amazing collection of original vinyl; all of the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, The Who; name any classic band from 1965 onward and they have it. I am so jealous! However, my friend's into heavy metal and is jaded towards the amazing collection of vinyl he has in his basement.

Gingy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Sissy
No... Most bands I listen to don't do that... They're pretty digital, but I do have a large FLAC collection (~30-40 Mb per song), and my neighbors threw out a really nice stereo tube amplifier last year. They said it was broken... They're dumb... It just needed new power tubes! When I run this stuff into a pair of old Bose speakers, it sounds amazing.

PurpleGecko

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
The only time I ever buy vinyl is when it includes rare singles or B-sides that aren't available on CD format...thus, I have a lot of 7"s, but barely any actual albums.

Status
Not open for further replies.