Anyone have the problem saying the word " diaper "

MojoMo said:
It's not like "Diapers is just a word, get over it" works for everyone. I've made it a point to try and destigmatize the word in my life so that if it comes up with people, its doesn't hurt to hear. . . You clearly have owned the word for a long time as well, but not everybody is at or will reach that point, and for people truly suffering from IC, the word carries meaning that really hurts. For many people struggling with long term IC, it carries a connotation of helplessness, infantilism, feebleness, invalid-ness, less-than-fully-human-ness. It can be painful to hear for many, and the sting, if you're not already into diapers, is always kind of in the back of your mind.

That's one reason why "diaper" is such a hard word for so many. Its useful. Its convenient, evocative, descriptive, clear, and to the point. But it also comes with all of these other "riders". Extra implicit meanings that can feel degrading. Struggles with using the word have nothing to do with America being dominantly Evangelical or what have you, which itself is barely even true, if at all. If a person struggles to use the word diaper, its often because they are struggling to come to terms with what it says about them. . .

Again, I understand that this is not the Incontinence Forum, but the post you responded to specifically mentioned incontinence which necessitated 24/7 wearing. . .There are real people out there who struggle with IC problems, who do not want it, who come here specifically looking for support and a community that understands them. Finding active incontinence support groups is surprisingly difficult online. Then they wind up on other parts of the site in an attempt to feel like the diapers they are stuck with for whatever reason can or should be normalized, or just because they feel their question/discussion topic better fits the Diaper Talk Forum than anywhere else. We are not delicate little flowers whose emotional needs should be protected at all costs, but we do read and respond to these types of posts as well. I myself ended up here because I saw the post and it sounded like someone might be struggling with feelings that wearing diapers is degrading, and can't bring themselves to use the term as a result . . .
Yep, I'm not an invalid. I'm not feeble. I'm human. I'm youngish, and smart, my brain is just damaged.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
SpAzpieSweeTot said:
More like parental sadism.

"I am going to load this word, like a weapon, so when you get froggy and jump, I can use it against you."

That is rare.

It could possibly be parental ineptitude about how that would makes your kid feel. If your teenage bedwetting kid goes out of their way to avoid mentioning it, it obviously stings. At least help them understand you don't mean it to hurt.
My mom weaponized it. When I was younger, if I was upset about something or crying, she would would say something like "if you dont stop crying/acting like a baby I am going to put diapers on you!" She would even do this in front of my friends... imagine that threat as a boy at 7-8-9 years old. On a particularly bad day, my father had been drinking and was teasing me. I was on the floor. I actually kicked the drink out of his hand breaking the glass... all hell broke loose... my mom grabbed me by the arm and said "if I was going to act like a baby she was going to put me in diapers" she drug me to her room, ripped down my pj's. She was going to use a towel, she was rooting around in the bathroom drawer and said she could not find any pins. The funny thing was, I wanted her to do it. I really think she sensed that, and that is why she said she could not find any safety pins. What mother in the 1960's or even today doesn't have safety pins? It's like a rule or something! She never made that verbal threat again after that.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and Billies1
I have no problem calling a diaper a diaper just as I have no problem calling a hamburger a hamburger. Diapers are diapers so why beat around the bush?

Reactions: chuck, BobbiSueEllen and activefit
I had programmed multiple mental blocks to keep from saying diaper in my sleep and having my wife know. So, when she felt something was off and I decided to tell her, it took several minutes of what felt like untying a complicated knot. I was actually surprised with how effective the block was… but the same method wasn’t sufficient to block the desire.

I also experienced embarrassment anytime diaper came up casually, like in songs on the radio. The diaper reference in Eminem’s Lose Yourself caused me to brace myself to not act suspiciously when it was said.

I really did a number on myself mentally…

NinjaPizza said:
More recently, a former co-worker was once rambling randomly about how they shouldn't put advertisements for adult diapers on TV. "Those are for people in hospitals, or bedridden." And I didn't say anything at all, just thought "Oh dear, you have no idea how important good diapers are to so many people..." Let's hope, as she gets older, she never has any plumbing problems.
When I was in high school I had a class with a strange classmate who claimed they never had to sneeze or blow their nose. I'm sure this person absolutely abhorred kleenex commercials. And if I ever sneezed or blew my nose, they would just go on a tirade about how disgusting it was. Whenever this person would utter such absolute rubbish I'd always respond with, "must be nice to be perfect, eh?"

To which, they'd promptly shut the hell up and I could get back to the task at hand.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and Peesalot
I've never really had a problem with the word diaper, I like even the word itself, so it's easy for me. Maybe I even say it out loud more than I should...

I've not tried it with diapers, but I've been ordering hard to find soda from Walmart and it comes it a generic Walmart box (much like Amazon).

Reactions: skunk053 and BobbiSueEllen
skunk053 said:
When I was in high school I had a class with a strange classmate who claimed they never had to sneeze or blow their nose. I'm sure this person absolutely abhorred kleenex commercials. And if I ever sneezed or blew my nose, they would just go on a tirade about how disgusting it was. Whenever this person would utter such absolute rubbish I'd always respond with, "must be nice to be perfect, eh?"

To which, they'd promptly shut the hell up and I could get back to the task at hand.
Toxic insecure people. Never missing a opportunity to talk about their own intrinsic superiority.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and skunk053
Im
Frungie said:
As a DL, I like the word "diaper." Incontinent Pants, Protective Pants are too "clinical."
I'm with Frungie. I'm 49% AB, and 51% DL. I discovered my extreme fondness of diapers when I was 7. My brother was only about 6 months old at the time and his diapers didn't fit me. So, I flipped one over and rubbed the plastic part on my genetalia. All I can say is WoW!
Now, just saying or hearing the word diaper excites me alot.

I don’t know that I am in a great place with the word (In the US, so ‘diaper’).
My IC has been a real issue, as of late, but I am not willing to give in and go 24/7. I wear pull-ups during the day an a brief at night.
I had issues with minor IC leaks and the like when I was younger. I was cathed and diapered while I was in the ICU after my appendix ruptured At age 8. I had an accident when I saw taken out of diapers and moved to my own room.
During a traumatic assault at 10, I wet my pants. I also started wetting the bed. I had repressed how awful all of that was. My parents told me to get over the attack and had threatened to put me in diapers. They belittled me, saying that my brother, who was 3, was out of diapers. I did everything that I could to try and not have an accident during the day or at night. I would hold my hands under warm water for like a half hour to try and get every drop out. Eventually, I was dry at night again.
I have worn pads (and progressed to heavier protection) for nearly 30 years (I’m 40).
Stress made my IC worse and I would often just give in and wet myself in private. I found belted undergarments online and there was this comfort I discovered in wearing them. They were taboo, yes, but they saved me from the embarrassment of leaking in public.
However, I am still loathe to say the word. My husband and I used to call my IC pads ‘girly girl girl,’ as a code word. Sounds like period pads. Once I started needing the Always Discreet pull-ups and on to the Abena during the day, we call those P-Wings. It is after the item in Super Mario Bros. 3 that allowed you to fly by keeping your P-Meter full. Also, Pee.
My briefs are often referred to as Nighttime pants, or my night underwear. There are underwear (diapers and the like) and underpants (panties and tight shorts to keep the garment in place). We also use the term ‘protection.’
I can type the word diaper, but saying it is rough. I feel shame that I have these IC problems, and there are times that just the sensation can be triggering back to my attack. Having a leak in a diaper is less of an issue than wetting my pants, but it is still a very tough situation.

• Sad
Reactions: Peesalot and Billies1
hoimi said:
I don’t know that I am in a great place with the word (In the US, so ‘diaper’).
My IC has been a real issue, as of late, but I am not willing to give in and go 24/7. I wear pull-ups during the day an a brief at night.
I had issues with minor IC leaks and the like when I was younger. I was cathed and diapered while I was in the ICU after my appendix ruptured At age 8. I had an accident when I saw taken out of diapers and moved to my own room.
During a traumatic assault at 10, I wet my pants. I also started wetting the bed. I had repressed how awful all of that was. My parents told me to get over the attack and had threatened to put me in diapers. They belittled me, saying that my brother, who was 3, was out of diapers. I did everything that I could to try and not have an accident during the day or at night. I would hold my hands under warm water for like a half hour to try and get every drop out. Eventually, I was dry at night again.
I have worn pads (and progressed to heavier protection) for nearly 30 years (I’m 40).
Stress made my IC worse and I would often just give in and wet myself in private. I found belted undergarments online and there was this comfort I discovered in wearing them. They were taboo, yes, but they saved me from the embarrassment of leaking in public.
However, I am still loathe to say the word. My husband and I used to call my IC pads ‘girly girl girl,’ as a code word. Sounds like period pads. Once I started needing the Always Discreet pull-ups and on to the Abena during the day, we call those P-Wings. It is after the item in Super Mario Bros. 3 that allowed you to fly by keeping your P-Meter full. Also, Pee.
My briefs are often referred to as Nighttime pants, or my night underwear. There are underwear (diapers and the like) and underpants (panties and tight shorts to keep the garment in place). We also use the term ‘protection.’
I can type the word diaper, but saying it is rough. I feel shame that I have these IC problems, and there are times that just the sensation can be triggering back to my attack. Having a leak in a diaper is less of an issue than wetting my pants, but it is still a very tough situation.
Wow 😳 you’ve had a rough road. You needed encouragement not criticizing. It seems you hubby is doing this and rightly so. Keep your courage up 😇

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen, skunk053, hoimi and 1 other person
Just so everyone knows, Incontinence is a pain in the ass. I am AB/Little, but I'm also IC, and I wish that was bolder, and first, on the list under my name. It's physically painful. Try to imagine having to change every stitch of clothes, because you've just vomited, and of course, peed a little, and vomiting again, and of course, peeing again, before you can get redressed. Fun? No, it's not!

Kaich said:
Oh dear. But they ARE diapers. You DO have a problem. Don't you?
Wow that was kinda rude...

Sorry calling them something makes me uncomfortable I guess 🤷‍♂️

• Love
Bugmania said:
Wow that was kinda rude...

Sorry calling them something makes me uncomfortable I guess 🤷‍♂️
Well rude to an American but just factual to the English.

• Haha
Kaich said:
Kaich, I think you might personally have a very literal approach to language, and some reactions to what people say that aren’t always aware of the fact that lots of people see the world, and words differently from each other.

I think message boards like this have two different kinds of gifts of perspective.

One is we find out we are not alone about something that is at times complicated and lonely. The other is we find out we’re all different from each other in all sorts of subtle and interesting ways.

Last edited:
Kaich said:
I am English... from the og motherland England, still rude

• Love
Love the word, especially when my wife says it. She has recently began to be more accepting after many years of the opposite.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and RedPandaDL
Diaper, Diaper, Diaper, so there 🤪

• Love
Never had an issue myself. (And been in diapers 24/7 life-long)
BUT always found it quite amusing when people like doctors, nurses, ex. did - just the way they EVERYTHING possible to avoid saying it (in front of me anyway) - then after all that - I would use that word myself - that REALLY put the icing on the cake! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: KrankyPants, BobbiSueEllen and Zeke
I don't like saying diaper, especially when my Mother or close friends are around because they know I wear them. When I do I always feel like people are looking at my pants to see if I am wearing one.

When I say diaper it's usually with a tone of question or surprise like "diaper?!" because it's so hard to say it without feeling self conscious.

Back