• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Anyone good at sewing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Error404

Or more directly, anyone good at making plushies? I'm looking to commission someone to make me a metroid plushie for real cash or Gaia Gold (Or Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst items, if you so play it.)

Metroidhat-OMG Metroid Plushies!!1!2

That'd be some decent guidelines for making such, BUT, it would help if you are familiar with what metroids look like.

I'd like it just a LITTLE smaller than a soccer ball.

Price me up including shipping to England, hopefully we can work something out. ^_^
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&um=1&sa=1&q=metroid+creature&btnG=Search+Images&aq=f&oq=

Neonite

Tinyflower Bouquet // 🌂🌸🌼💮🌙
Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little, Other
I'd try to make one, but I've never sewn before and I'd prolly fail at it. D:

...Then again, I do have three months of practically nothing - maybe it'd be a nice summer project!

E

Error404

I'd try to make one, but I've never sewn before and I'd prolly fail at it. D:

...Then again, I do have three months of practically nothing - maybe it'd be a nice summer project!
Price? o.o

E

Error404

Not big on double posting, but looking for this ASAP.

angelabauer

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Incontinent
Adorable Error 404 (a delightful screen name)

Since here in the USA there are on-line groups and even local clubs devoted to sewing, my suggestion is to search those to find people who hand make custom plushies.

My Granny Vi has been part of a club in her home city of Bellflower, California USA for many years which makes plushies for kids in hospitals and foster care. Here in Pasadena there are a couple of similar clubs. I know Granny would never consider making a plushie for pay, but I suspect if you nicely ask people in similar clubs near you in England you are charming enough to sweet talk someone into making what you want.

Now I must return to my responsible attorney (barrister to you) mode to point out that probably the character you want is covered by a copyright. While it might not violate copyright law to make one for yourself, it is a violation to make one for sale. So, think about all that.

Another approach would be to take sewing classes. You might well find it so much fun to make your own plushies.

So far I have always been adopted by my plushie pals. But I think if a person does the sewing that is like giving birth to a plushie, which is a good thing. That would be a super special plushie!

E

Error404

Adorable Error 404 (a delightful screen name)

Since here in the USA there are on-line groups and even local clubs devoted to sewing, my suggestion is to search those to find people who hand make custom plushies.

My Granny Vi has been part of a club in her home city of Bellflower, California USA for many years which makes plushies for kids in hospitals and foster care. Here in Pasadena there are a couple of similar clubs. I know Granny would never consider making a plushie for pay, but I suspect if you nicely ask people in similar clubs near you in England you are charming enough to sweet talk someone into making what you want.

Now I must return to my responsible attorney (barrister to you) mode to point out that probably the character you want is covered by a copyright. While it might not violate copyright law to make one for yourself, it is a violation to make one for sale. So, think about all that.

Another approach would be to take sewing classes. You might well find it so much fun to make your own plushies.

So far I have always been adopted by my plushie pals. But I think if a person does the sewing that is like giving birth to a plushie, which is a good thing. That would be a super special plushie!
Fan made plushies, as far as I'm aware, aren't covered by this sort of law. Very much like cosplay outfits can be sold online. What I'm paying for is the creation of a plushie, not the likeness of that to of a copyrighted design. The loophole lies within that I am paying simply for the time and materials used there in. <3 The design of the 'Metroid' as a gaming character or device is likely copyrighted, but I do believe that making a plushie in the likeness of it simply constitutes to that of creative arts which is held under law as completely legal and within boundaries.

Granted, that's in Britain. As for sewing? I can sew, but only clothes. And I have ADHD, I have no patience for that sort of thing. I was hoping better to get some people I have some idea of who they are before I go giving out my address to groups of people who may charge me immense prices. X_x

angelabauer

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Incontinent
Fan made plushies, as far as I'm aware, aren't covered by this sort of law. Very much like cosplay outfits can be sold online. What I'm paying for is the creation of a plushie, not the likeness of that to of a copyrighted design. The loophole lies within that I am paying simply for the time and materials used there in. <3 The design of the 'Metroid' as a gaming character or device is likely copyrighted, but I do believe that making a plushie in the likeness of it simply constitutes to that of creative arts which is held under law as completely legal and within boundaries.

Granted, that's in Britain. As for sewing? I can sew, but only clothes. And I have ADHD, I have no patience for that sort of thing. I was hoping better to get some people I have some idea of who they are before I go giving out my address to groups of people who may charge me immense prices. X_x
Error 404,
Unfortunately you are making some seriously incorrect assumptions of your own copyright laws. There is no "fair use exemption" for fan-made plushies. I regret to say in court it will not matter what you believe the law to be, nor how you wish it to be. The Judge will provide the law that applies.

True, it often happens the copyright owner does not investigate and start litigation every time. That does not change the law, nor is it a defense should litigation result.

There are some copyright owners, especially Walt Disney Company, who are super protective of their characters, even those not yet sold as physical toys or plushies. Disney owns several computer game vendors and influences most of the others in that industry.

My advice is to be discreet when asking someone to make this for you, especially on-line when the vendor might well be a spy for some corporation.

My additional advice is that patent, copyright and trademark law is a specialty nearly recession-proof. In your country most of that legal work is done by civil solicitors. Such classes are often called "Intellectual Property" law (IP) in school lists. Personally I only get those cases when pre-trial conferences fail to work out a deal between corporations. Once us litigators get inloved in a law suit the costs are as high as the stakes.

Neonite

Tinyflower Bouquet // 🌂🌸🌼💮🌙
Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little, Other
Price? o.o
Umms, I'unno if I'm even making it. XD;;

But if I do try, I'll prolly only charge enough to cover the shipping over there, if it didn't fail too hard. n.n

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
Closest thing to plushies I've made on a sewing machine is bean bags. I'd like to develop some good sewing skills to help in my pram restoration projects.

~Pramrider

DHLA40

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
A long time ago, my Dad showed me how to sew upholstery with my Mom's old Sears & Roebuck sewing machine. We made a new seat cover for the XL 250 I had when I was 13. I really need to get that machine from my Mom again so I can modify my jacket so the sleeves are longer, and I won't have to keep my fists balled up when I'm in it. It hurts after a while.

ZombifiedKitty

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little, Carer, Other
I like the idea and its not very hard to make, I'd recommend picking up a sewing kit and just do it by hand. Something like that isn't very extensive so it wouldn't require a sewing machine. I've made some pillows, small bags, and hats; all of which are meant to contain something so all kind of like a plushie. Just make the patterns 'baggy'.

Emileigh

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
That actually looks fairly easy to make. Is that using felt? I imagine I could do it, wouldn't wanna promise anything until I actually made it though XD I mostly make blankets, pillows and such, but since it's not like a fur fabric plush I think I could do it ^^

Emileigh

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I would price ya, but I have to get to the fabric store. It all depends on the fabric you want used

Talula

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Ok, I guess I could do it. I make my own clothes, and stuffed toys for myself anf family.

Assuming it was made out of felt, it would probably cost about £5 in terms of materials and stuffing, and maybe a few pounds for stuffing. It's been a while since I used felt so I'm not sure of the price anymore.

As for shipping, I'm in Scotland so it shouldn't be too expensive to ship, it would be fairly light afterall.

At the moment I couldn't really do it though, I've got exams and then I'm with my boyfriend for a month. If you haven't got anything by August though, let me know and I'll knock one up for you in a couple of days.

E

Error404

Thanks Tal! I could probably wait that long. ^_^ I'll PM you my MSN so we can keep in contact!

Rheeer

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Sissy, Carer
I have to say, though I have no sewing ability whatsoever and can be of no help in this endeavor, that hat idea rules, and I actually kinda want one now. *grin*

Status
Not open for further replies.