Anyone else ride ATV's?

CptKirk

Disabled veteran,"MOTORHEAD"PROFESSIONAL Mechanic
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
  2. Other
Just wondering how many others here ride. I've been out quite a bit since I finally had my favorite quad come back home from Tn. I took it with me when I spent most of the year in '19 helping my best friend get a handle on problems he was having with his business. I was going back down in Jan '20 but the spinal implant surgery went awry, then Covid, then another revisionary surgery and yeah...never have been able to get back there for long and only flew down for a couple of weeks here and there since, so my toy sat, covered in mud. He's all good again though! Pics in posts on my profile. You won't find a cleaner 22-23 year old machine out there.

Reactions: Edgewater
I use mine mostly to plow my driveway but I have conservation land behind my property that I've ridden once
or twice. I'd like to bring it somewhere with trails and really have some fun.

Reactions: Edgewater and Kirisin
I had a couple , me and my son would ride but when he was gone so was the fun in it .

BuffedBaby said:
I use mine mostly to plow my driveway but I have conservation land behind my property that I've ridden once
or twice. I'd like to bring it somewhere with trails and really have some fun.
Where do you live? There's endless miles of trails within a mile of my house though I need to 'ride the road' and hope for no cops in order to get there. Sure, I've "eluded" police before as it's nearly impossible for them to follow an ATV once it's "in the woods" but I hate doing this as that only serves to give them a reason to patrol the area much more often. Then there's the fact that IF they want you bad enough, they're going to get you eventually. This is one of a long list of reasons I wear a helmet, goggles, plain clothing or jacket when not hot out and my "main" quad is 100% PLAIN. The only difference between mine and fully original today are the tires and I just switched to 2 sets of LED lights as the originals are broken and the stock replacement ones I bought make it a total Deathwish to drive that machine at night!

One of my friends who lives up the street was HAMMERED with thousands in fines and his ATV was impounded....but they didn't "catch him" the day they chased him. They DID have a few pictures though...and being he never wears a helmet and has specific graphics on his machine there was no denying they had the right guy. He had to hire a lawyer as the fines were into the thousands and he was able to take a plea, paid a shade over a grand in fines plus a few hundred for "storage" of his impounded machine. You'd think he'd learn but he still refuses to wear a helmet and he even customized the hell out of the UTV he bought so there is NO mistaking his machine for anyone else's so long as it isn't covered in mud.

stinkape said:
I had a couple , me and my son would ride but when he was gone so was the fun in it .
I do agree riding with my son(s) and their friends was always fun but I have a number of friends who live on the same 3 mile long rural road I live on and we'll get together and go for 20-50 mile rides at times. I wish we did this more often but only 2 of us are always available as one's recently retired and I'm a 100% (rating) disabled vet. I do work when I can though this isn't anywhere near as often as I wish I could. Not needing to make every cent possible anymore (I HAD TO from 2004-2019, long story) so I only take on jobs that I want for people I truly like.

I used to have a Kawasaki Bayou 250. Man I rode that thing hard AF. Rode it like a sports quad. Top speed on it was around 40 mph, and to me, that felt slow to me really fast. I rode that thing all around the mountain I lived on, and found many routes to take in case a fire blocked our way out. I loved that thing so much, but it was slow as hell.
Now days, I'm a dirt biker, and wouldn't have it any other way.

Antientmariner said:
I used to have a Kawasaki Bayou 250. Man I rode that thing hard AF. Rode it like a sports quad. Top speed on it was around 40 mph, and to me, that felt slow to me really fast. I rode that thing all around the mountain I lived on, and found many routes to take in case a fire blocked our way out. I loved that thing so much, but it was slow as hell.
Now days, I'm a dirt biker, and wouldn't have it any other way.
The top speed on my quickest machine today is only around 45-50, but on the trails I ride most frequently, you can't get out of 2nd gear...maybe 3rd for real short bursts.
I did have a Honda 450 EX (2005) and a 300 EX (2002) with the 450 being HAIRY!!! No need to "hot rod" that machine! Every machine I owned I was able to "buy right" as they all needed various amounts of work to run/operate. I hadn't had tens of thousands of cash lying around since the last of it gave out at the end of 2005 or start of 2006!! I had to buy right. Back then it wasn't a big deal but today? NIGHTMARE! The only machines that were faster that I ever saw were the old Banshee's and the Yamaha 660 Raptor with both being borderline ridiculous for trail riding and best suited to actual racing. The 450 was nimble enough (as a stock machine) to ride ROUGH, narrow, winding trails frequently on a 5' wide shelf with a massive drop off to one side or the other yet had balls enough to SCREAM into the 65-70 mph range on open roads (dirt roads, ATV's ain't stable enough at very high speeds on pavement so I never even tried) and honestly, even on a dirtbike, much more than 45-50 is too much for me anymore. I'll stick with my Monte Carlo when I REALLY want ALL-OUT speed! I'd much rather 4 wheels without the wind trying to literally push me off of the machine! I'm VERY comfortable driving at "ridiculous" speeds in a car I know is built to safely handle those speeds....not so much outside of a car.
Running out of money forced me to sell several machines I wish to GOD I never had to sell! It was either the machines or my mortgage more than once so the decision to sell HAD to be made.
I am looking for a damn ATV with a clutch again though, and know where a 660 Raptor has been sitting, unused for over a decade. I keep trying to get him to sell it to me but so far haven't been successful. I looked at a bunch of other machines and THANK GOD I know EXACTLY what I am looking at (lifelong professional, educated/certified to the hilt mechanic, including on the M1A1 Abrams after my short stint in the Infantry) as it seems nearly EVERYONE seems to think their totally wore out piece of SHIT is worth top dollar. The issues I found with many of these machines meant the repair exceeded the actual value of the machine, by a wide margin in several instances! People are FUCKED when it comes to selling a beat to death machine. I guess the used car market wore off on them!

Glad I posted this conversation! Sees like it will be a good one!

Cpt Kirk

Last edited:
I rode ATVs and dirt bikes obsessively as a kid and into my early 20s. First bike was a Honda Trail 70, had a few other bikes 125-250cc as well as a dual sport, and a few ATVs throughout the years. My favourite being my Banshee with an long list of mods. It was fun to trail ride, take to sand dunes and even try to ride a motocross track.

As some of our riding areas became less accessible I don’t think I’ve ever laughed harder than when the police used cars and ATVs to try chase my friends and I through some of the back roads and trails where I grew up. We may have gone a little overboard on taunting them a few times, intentionally pelting them with roost and leading them into dangerous terrain they weren’t able to navigate. In retrospect I feel bad for putting them in the amount of danger we did, though nobody got too seriously hurt, just some egos.

I have a 23 year old utility bike now that I just use for stuff around the house and occasionally visit the neighbours.

Does anybody here ride ADV bikes? I’ve been looking at VStroms and some larger dual sports getting the itch to hit some backroads in my days off.

Reactions: Edgewater and CptKirk
We have a 2009 Kemco it's never really ran right so we got a 2019 CF Moto we really like this one and can't wait to get another. We use it mostly for plowing snow but once in a while the wife takes it out on our dirt road and plays with it
1689904035288.png

Last edited:
Reactions: CptKirk, northdl and BuffedBaby
I've never heard of this brand...where are they manufactured? S Korea would be ideal as they went from making the worst cars I'd ever seen in my life in the late 80s to where they're damn near every bit as durable as a Toyota today! Chinese stuff...I couldn't. I worked (or tried to...simply nothing you can do to those pieces of shit!) on 3 Chinese machines (I don't recall the brand names) and despite being an over-educated lifelong professional I couldn't "fix" those things. SHEER TRASH! Interested in learning more about the one you like and where it's made... of course i could Google it but I'll forget as soon as I hit the reply button until I read any further replies to the post LOL.

CptKirk

CptKirk said:
I've never heard of this brand...where are they manufactured? S Korea would be ideal as they went from making the worst cars I'd ever seen in my life in the late 80s to where they're damn near every bit as durable as a Toyota today! Chinese stuff...I couldn't. I worked (or tried to...simply nothing you can do to those pieces of shit!) on 3 Chinese machines (I don't recall the brand names) and despite being an over-educated lifelong professional I couldn't "fix" those things. SHEER TRASH! Interested in learning more about the one you like and where it's made... of course i could Google it but I'll forget as soon as I hit the reply button until I read any further replies to the post LOL.

CptKirk
No this manufacturer used to make the parts for alot of the manufacturers. The story in short they decided they could build there own and still make alot of the parts for the bigger companies. Our Kemco is Japanese but CFMOTO is all American.

• Love
Reactions: CptKirk
Amazing! I had no clue on this front! How are they price wise? Do you know who manufactures the engine? You've got my attention with this! i never knew this company existed!!!
I'm looking for a rwd (I want another "racer") with an actual clutch now but will have to keep my eyes open for any of these for sale used....especially being they're pretty unknown as that will likely knock the resale price down a little, at least until people learn abut the company...no different than when Polaris or Arctic Cat were "newer" (damn I'm getting old!)

CptKirk said:
Amazing! I had no clue on this front! How are they price wise? Do you know who manufactures the engine? You've got my attention with this! i never knew this company existed!!!
I'm looking for a rwd (I want another "racer") with an actual clutch now but will have to keep my eyes open for any of these for sale used....especially being they're pretty unknown as that will likely knock the resale price down a little, at least until people learn abut the company...no different than when Polaris or Arctic Cat were "newer" (damn I'm getting old!)
We paid 5000 new 120 a month. It's a great bike. Wife wanted a new one so bad she gave up her nails twice a month to pay for it

I am the proud owner of a 1999 Kawasaki Bayou 400. Its an absolute tank. Other than a ball joint replacement and an oil change once a year before storage its great!

Last edited:
CptKirk said:
Where do you live? There's endless miles of trails within a mile of my house though I need to 'ride the road' and hope for no cops in order to get there. Sure, I've "eluded" police before as it's nearly impossible for them to follow an ATV once it's "in the woods" but I hate doing this as that only serves to give them a reason to patrol the area much more often. Then there's the fact that IF they want you bad enough, they're going to get you eventually. This is one of a long list of reasons I wear a helmet, goggles, plain clothing or jacket when not hot out and my "main" quad is 100% PLAIN. The only difference between mine and fully original today are the tires and I just switched to 2 sets of LED lights as the originals are broken and the stock replacement ones I bought make it a total Deathwish to drive that machine at night!

One of my friends who lives up the street was HAMMERED with thousands in fines and his ATV was impounded....but they didn't "catch him" the day they chased him. They DID have a few pictures though...and being he never wears a helmet and has specific graphics on his machine there was no denying they had the right guy. He had to hire a lawyer as the fines were into the thousands and he was able to take a plea, paid a shade over a grand in fines plus a few hundred for "storage" of his impounded machine. You'd think he'd learn but he still refuses to wear a helmet and he even customized the hell out of the UTV he bought so there is NO mistaking his machine for anyone else's so long as it isn't covered in mud.
I live in Massachusetts. I'm close enough to New Hampshire so I could go there and ride some of the great trails
they have there but that's going to have to wait until I'm done rehabbing an injury I'm dealing with. Maybe
next year.

Tessa said:
I am the proud owner of a 1999 Kawasaki Bayou 400. Its an absolute tank. Other than a ball joint replacement and an oil change once a year before storage its great!
I had one of those! Unfortunately like a number of other ATVs & even 2 motorcycles that I had and liked, I needed the money a LOT more than I needed those "bikes"! I hated selling that, the Honda 300 & 450 EX's, but I honestly didn't have a workable way to keep them AND pay my bills. Since then I've looked at so much TRASH trying to find a "racer" but I'm not paying "BIG money" for something that's literally no better than if it was in a scrap yard!

I've come across MOST of what I own for next to nothing when they either need a big dollar repair/rebuild or in the case of my Wolverine a guy found me (through my Father) who "just wanted it gone" so he could park his new truck in his garage. He bought it brand new in 2001, rode it for 5 months, got married and had a kid and it SAT! Sat for17 years when I was asked if I was interested and honestly only went to look at it to see if i could flip it for a profit quickly....until I saw it! Once I saw that it was damn near brand new......yeah. Keeper! I asked him what he wanted and he told me to make an offer. I only had $1200 I could spend but could always borrow off of several personal, close friends if need be so I offered $800 and he shot back with "make it a grand and it's yours" so the money was instantly handed over and he allowed me to leave it behind his garage until i could get back with a trailer as there was simply no way to get a dead machine into the back of my pickup. I USED TO BE ABLE to literally lift the front onto my tailgate, get behind, lift the rest of the machine and shove dead ones into the bed but those days are GONE and they ain't coming back unfortunately! I borrowed a trailer a few days later and took my 2 Ox' with me (my sons who were both taller than me by age 11) and they shoved it onto the trailer. Much to my surprise, he threw in 4 BRAND NEW tires, to my shock and delight...I did deliver a case of beer to him afterwards for throwing in the tires.

I had to acid tank the stripped apart carburetor as it was literally full of varnish and but a rebuild kit for the carburetor and the fuel shut-off. Changed the oil & filter, flushed the shit out of the gas tank after using acid to dissolve the gallon - gallon and a half of sludge remaining in the tank, slap a battery in it and clean it up. I took the wheels with me to my friends garage where I do all of the side work we get (fully equipped garage but never a business...all of the equipment from my garage that wasn't included in the sale is now "his") and slapped on the 4 tires seen in the pics. They can't have 150 miles on them since I bought this in real late '18 and have me almost convinced they can climb a tree if asked to. These things will go through anything that the machine doesn't "sink into" such as the countless "bogs" in the vicinity of where I ride. Nothing goes through those until they're frozen and able to be driven over but these beasts have gone through stuff everyone else had to winch out of....just don't ever stop.

After riding this, seeing how CHERRY it was, how well it cleaned up and how well it runs, had to keep it! I wound up in Tennessee months after buying this (Feb '19) helping my best friend resolve issues he had with his business and came home in late March to fetch this so we could ride down there. I left to be home 2 days before Thanksgiving of '19 and made a "nice chunk" of CASH only to come home and realize everything I saved was "gone" due to what the ex did. Only saving grace is I had full/permanent military disability awarded which is the only reason I still have a roof over my head and my "toys" as they'd had been in trouble otherwise!

This machine isn't getting sold, period. I have been offered $4500 for it (more than it cost new I believe) and that guy won't leave me alone as he had one, sold it when he got married and wants another. I can't buy anything close to this thing for $4500 so no dice. He asked what I would take and I told him the same thing I tell people who want my Monte Carlo. A brand new Red-Eye Hellcat with a 6 speed manual. NO AUTOMATIC, not in that! If I was planning to race it, automatic is the only way to go but for a sheer way-overpowered beast like those, stick only! He didn't see my humor but at least he stopped calling me every few hours trying to change my mind. He asked again last year and I was able to get away with blowing him off as it was still in Tn but I know now that it is home and I've been riding her a bit he'll learn of this before long and pester me some more. I have told him to find one that's beat, pay me to restore it and wham! Problem solved but so far he has refused to spend almost as much as he offered for mine for a beat to death piece of shit.

The "Kawi" Bayou I had made me just shy of $2000. I got it with no compression and before tearing it down or even doing a cylinder leak down test to see what was wrong with it they asked me IF I'd give them $750 for it. I got them down to $650 and got them to throw the plow thrown in. I had to put over a grand into it. Once I ensured I had a solid base of an engine I bought 4 tires and 1 wheel, replaced all of the brakes, rebuilt the master cylinders (CHANGE/FLUSH YOUR BRAKE FLUID EVERY 2-3 years!!!), fixed a BUNCH of "badly butchered" wiring (electrical tape and twist connectors do NOT constitute a proper repair!) as well as change all of the fluids, tune, rebuilt the carburetor and put the original jets back in it. The engine was a simple repair, a hanging valve. This is why you adjust the valves on these periodically! People think of these the same as car engines and that's nowhere near the case. These have normal wear seeing the valve clearances REDUCE as the valve seat wears into the head. We're only talking about THOUSNADTHS of an inch here ( .000 ) and the exhaust valves in these have a spec somewhere in the area of .016" - .022" so after 10-20 hours on a brand new engine, they need a valve adjustment and then again every 50 hours or so, or when the oil is due to be changed (run time in hours as a gauge) so that you maintain some valve lash. As the engine gets up to operating temperature, the clearance goes down to only a few thousandths. A "slight" tick is exactly WHAT YOU WANT to hear on a motorcycle or ATV although many motorcycle engines today no longer see anywhere near as much movement in the valvetrain as these do. When you get too low on clearance, you get a valve that won't fully close, EVER, which is an INSTANT no start or more often a start but dies when warmed up issue. To see one with a hung valve like this, they did everything they could to get it running, despite the engine truly running like shit! Most people don't give a shit and NEVER do a thing to these (many are just as bad with their car/truck...keeps my wallet happy when my back allows) UNTIL they've racked up a whole bunch of necessary repairs & maintenance and then they're sometimes able to be bought "right"! Besides, once you pop the gas tank, valve adjustments are RIGHT THERE for the taking! They're truly simple to do as well. If anyone has any questions about this, ask me. I won't steer you wrong. That I can GUARANTEE LOL.... I just did a PAIR (WISH I could get one of these!) Kawi 650 Prairies a couple of weeks ago and BOTH will be seeing me again in the off-season (next April as they plow with these) as BOTH need the reverse gear repaired. The one weak link on these machines.

HOLY SHIT do these things RUN! Have to be the fastest 4x4 machines I've ridden and I've ridden a BIG Polaris. The Polaris definitely has the power to fly at least as fast but is so ridiculously HIGH that the stability isn't there for me (....maybe someone else, but NOT me!!!) to get much over the 35-40mph range. I had the one Prairie at 58 mph and would had racked up many more MPH but ran out of real estate that allows for high speeds. I have access to unlimited riding trails right near me. 95% of the trails I ride require a LOT of 2nd/3rd gear running with some real technical trails where you can't get out of 1st for more than a second or two! None of these trails are technically "legal" but so long as they can't read your license plate (Or yours no longer exists! LOL) you have nothing to worry about. They're not chasing around here anymore, on OR OFF of the roads. Someone wound up badly hurt a few years back when trying to elude and won a substantial lawsuit against the police for chasing them! I don't agree with that, but that's the society we live in today. Moron had nothing on but a pair of shorts, tee shirt and fucking sandals!!! HOW THE F*** DO YOU RIDE IN F***** SANDLES?!?! The "joys" of no more shifting outside of pushing a button of pulling a lever! I rarely will go out without at least a solid pair of shoes and a helmet/goggles though when I "ride" I'm always over cautious with a helmet, goggles, boots, denim pants and a jacket and when I feel like "getting stupid" (age brings wisdom as I haven't done this in a long time!) a real chest protector and shin guards as well. I wish to GOD I was still a teen-20 something year old who never felt pain but that ship sailed many many moons ago and though I am waiting for it to return, am not holding my breath LOL.

The problem right now is that new machines are "ASTRONOMICAL" to buy so everyone's WRECK is somehow worth thousands. No thanks! I'll sit back and wait for more to find me though I have been looking for a RWD with a clutch for 2+ years now and wouldn't give a nickel for any of the pieces of shit with engine knocks, burnt clutches, bald tires, shot suspension components, bent/rolled/wrecked, no "proof of ownership" (which today is a red flag as IF YOU get found with a stolen machine even though you didn't steal it or know it was stolen you're forfeiting that machine OR being arrested as an accessory and forfeiting it anyway. Try getting your money back off of whoever you bought it from afterwards....not happenings and in many cases that person had no clue it was "HOT" either! You read about someone being found to have a stolen ride about twice a year these days, which is WAY DOWN from even 5 years ago. Covid fucked up a LOT of aspects of the economy!) and overall total pieces of shit that aren't worth the cost of repairing/restoring them. I looked up what it would cost to fix one my Brother wanted to buy last year (2004 400 EX) that would had cost $2600 to bring back. IN PARTS! IF I was to charge for the work performed that would easily exceed another $1200 - $1500. EVERY bushing was shot, every tire BADLY worn. The rear axle is horribly bent, bearings shot (no matter as bearings are instantly replaced with a new axle!), all 3 struts had been leaking for an eternity, in need of all 4 front control arms (*see bushings*) and a smoked clutch. Never got to hear the engine run hot as it wouldn't run once warmed up...almost certainly just a valve adjustment (*there's no proving anything without investigating a hell of a lot further than is possible looking to buy a machine!*) and last but far from least is the "punched out" muffler they thought made it a lot faster. Made it a hell of a lot louder, that's for certain! This machine was for sale for $2500!!!!! Needless to say, the seller was MOST UNHAPPY with my brother for bringing me as he had it sold to him, so he thought. Then this idiot starts trying to "scare me" into thinking he knows everything about these and I know nothing. Good try asshole! I have more "paper on the wall" of professional certifications, diplomas etc. than I can use as TP for the next month! I sometimes REALLY WISH I didn't know what I know (my body often refuses to cooperate) but in reality I love every second I ever spent in this industry. INCLUDING today, at least when my body "allows"!

Oh well...VA appt in 45 minutes. I have to jet. Post some pics of your machines guys and gals!

CptKirk

Purely an outsider regarding ATV's.

The county I ride in has zero tolerance for ATV's as do the farmers who have trail cams near everywhere. The only place to ride is DNR controller dunes in which there is a huge numbers of large ORV's (Jeeps, etc...), which are running 'at speed'!

As a result I ride Snowmobiles (Arctic Cat 2013 F-800). Clearly only Winter. But, totally different World from ATV's as all county roads and right-aways are open for Snowmobiles as are near all Farm lands.

Hope your appointment goes well!!

Reactions: CptKirk
Love them. Also snowmobiles.

Reactions: CptKirk and Edgewater
Edgewater said:
Purely an outsider regarding ATV's.

The county I ride in has zero tolerance for ATV's as do the farmers who have trail cams near everywhere. The only place to ride is DNR controller dunes in which there is a huge numbers of large ORV's (Jeeps, etc...), which are running 'at speed'!

As a result I ride Snowmobiles (Arctic Cat 2013 F-800). Clearly only Winter. But, totally different World from ATV's as all county roads and right-aways are open for Snowmobiles as are near all Farm lands.

Hope your appointment goes well!!
In all the years I've been around "machines", two things I have yet to ever ride or drive. Snowmobile and Jet ski! As a bass fisherman, I HATE jet skis. I mean, they look like a blast BUT there's a substantial number of those guys who are what I call "IDIOT-DICK-BRAINS" who intentionally will RIP between your boat and the shore as you're fishing! They'll do it repeatedly if they see they got a rise out of you! Years ago I tied a 1.5 ounce lead sinker onto my large spinnerbait rod and MAN is that asshole lucky! I missed his face by less than an inch! It glanced off of the top of his head! I was upset that I missed though but in hindsight, that would had truly HURT him. I wanted to hurt him but I've since grown up LOL.

Snowmobiles around here are a waste of effort. In the past 4 years I believe there have been 4 or 5 days where one could ride a snowmobile! All the guys i know who are into snowmobiles head towards the finger lakes (or further north) as they run for mile after mile up there and see nothing. WIDE OPEN and when the lakes are frozen...even better. I know 1 guy who races those. For as much as I LOVE high speed in my car, when there's no "body" around me, 45-50 is tops for me. His snowmobile supposedly will run into the 75+ range. I feel like the wind is going to push my fat ass off of my machines at top speed and I'm nowhere near HIGH SPEED.

Snowmobiles definitely look like a blast, but around here you're driving at least 2.5-3+ hours to be able to ride more than once or twice a year. USED to see far more heavier snow days but since the last blizzard we had in '14, there's been little to nothing, especially the past 3 -4 years!

• Haha
Well, the reality of having to have snow is: No Snow, Tuff Sledding!
We commonly have enough snow and have both a great trail system and open farm land. But without snow, it is an expensive dust collector!

Reactions: Diapertoddler and CptKirk
Back