Anyone build houses?

SpAzpieSweeTot

Daddy's girl through and through! Understood?
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
I need one. It's not urgent. I'm pre-planning, as usual. Auties catch shit from people, until what we've planned for, happens, and then we're the ones Mrs. Weasleying everyone!🤣 I have a few special considerations. Imagine this. 2 parents in wheelchairs, 2 Service Dogs, up to 6 kids at any given moment, because we'd foster, in the south of the United States.

So, what's the big deal? Evacuating, in the event of a hurricane, or tornado, would be really hard, because there are rules for foster kiddo safe hotels. Getting us all out if a fire happened, we could definitely do, but building a home, designed to choke a fire, is a very good idea. Building it not to let carbon monoxide in, would also be a good idea.

The myth in building is, "Nothing survives EF 5s."

This. . . Is. . . A. . . Lie! We mustn't tell lies! People build, thinking that "If it won't survive, why do anything?"

Build the home people evacuate to, because it's intelligent!

I want my home to survive an F5 hurricane, an EF5 tornado, not support a fire, and I'd do my best not to have it flood.

I want it to be an antidepressant, with a roof on top.

We're going to need ADA compliance, too, obviously.

I wonder if it's possible to use commercial and industrial building principles, in a big family home?

Last edited:

blissfullyquirky

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
It's possible, but it's going to cost you more than a standard residential home. On the cheaper side there's fire sprinklers and fireproofing chemicals you can spray on TJI joists to make them last longer in a fire. TJI joists are very dangerous during a fire because the webbing is so thin that it burns rapidly. Many firefighters have been killed by collapsing floors after the TJI joist webbing burned and failed.

If you want to spend more money, I've seen houses that use concrete for the exterior walls, with brick on the outside to cover up the concrete. Some of them also use metal studs on the inside to hang drywall on, which removes more wood that could ignite in a fire.

There are also houses that use concrete for the floors. That's especially common in big cities with small lots where to maximize space people put a basement under the garage. But you can do it for all the floors in the house too.

A concrete home would survive a hurricane or tornado, the only weak point would be the roof which might not do so well. a roof is less expensive to replace than an entire house though.

SpAzpieSweeTot

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
Autoclaved aerated concrete, reinforced with steel, metal, probably copper, roof, put on with hurricane ties, possibly round, so the wind goes around it, instead of trying to squash it flat. Cork floors, with a cork underlayment, over concrete foundation? Falls on concrete floors could kill us.

Let's not hurt poor firefighters, either! Yikes! I wouldn't be against FEMA being involved in designing it.

Last edited:

SpAzpieSweeTot

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
I'm leaning more toward Insulated concrete forms, now, than AAC. Making sure water doesn't damage the house, is a major thing. Right now, I live in TX, because, nephew. . . Easy home school. . . Barbecue. That's it. That's all, but homeschool is huge. How do you get a TX house level, and keep it that way?

Another issue is, because I want gym equipment I know we can use as wheelchair users, that means home gym. Because we're less than continent, having our own pool, so we know how often it's cleaned, and can clean it as soon as possible, makes sense, as does having it indoors, for therapy. Yes, that's expensive. I know. The worry is, with everything we want and need, to put it all on one level, it's going to be massive. That's okay, but, so would having 2 levels be, if we did an indoor ramp, instead of stairs, because fire, and an elevator. Possible? . . . Legal?

Would ceiling lift track get in the way of a steam shower door closing?

My desire for a home theater is sheer vanity, and a bABy's desire for real food, in footed jammies, while watching a movie.

Last edited:

ben0510

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
you are in the states I assume? here in the uk we build house's differently to you.

SpAzpieSweeTot

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
ben0510 said:
you are in the states I assume? here in the uk we build house's differently to you.
I am. You're right. If I were to live in any other country, it'd be somewhere PLUS Tested car seats are legal. I'm a safety nut. Can you tell?

Another thing we'd have to look at, would be generation, or co-generation, of our own power, because ceiling lifts suck a lot of power! Generac generator, and solar panels, and solar hot water, anyone?

Last edited: