Anyone afraid of the dark?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RainbowShy

I was just curious to know how many of us fear the dark. My mind often plays tricks on me, and it causes my anxiety to rise. I get these ideas that something is going to pop out of the darkness. x_x I don't have any plug-ins to hold a night light, so I keep my laptop and TV on instead.

What about you guys? Are you afraid of the dark? Do you have a nightlight or something else to help with your fear?

KatieBear

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
I'm terrified of the dark and never sleep without a nightlight if I'm alone. The only time I sleep without one is when I go to conventions, because I am sharing a hotel room with three other people. But I find I don't need one then, anyway, because I feel safe having three other people in the room with me. At home, however, even though there are other people in the house, I'm alone in my room, and then I have to have a nightlight. I also sleep with two cats, both of whom alert me any time they hear footsteps outside my door, so they're like a back up alarm, heh.

(Sometimes, if the fear is really bad and I can't sleep, I use an app on my phone that plays a variety of noises designed to help you sleep. I usually go with something water-based, like rain or a waterfall or the ocean. I find it drowns out the usual "house noises" that can sound creepy in the dark and helps my mind get to a more relaxed locale. :) )

princeofpacis

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Little
  4. Carer
  5. Other
I am sometimes. :c It's usually after I've been looking up creepy stuff on the internet or watching a creepy show... I just get worked up. Sadly I don't have a nightlight, and I don't have cable for my T.V., and I don't want to run my laptop down at night so I don't really have anything to make the baddies go away! Except my plushies. If I surround myself with them it helps sometimes. c:

- - - Updated - - -

(Sometimes, if the fear is really bad and I can't sleep, I use an app on my phone that plays a variety of noises designed to help you sleep. I usually go with something water-based, like rain or a waterfall or the ocean. I find it drowns out the usual "house noises" that can sound creepy in the dark and helps my mind get to a more relaxed locale. :) )

I like that idea! I'm gonna do that next time...

Bartolome

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Sometimes.

When I was a kid I was scared of the Borg from Star Trek assimilating me in the basement if I turned out the lights (I think I watched "The Best of Both Worlds" and had a "Borg Nightmare"). I was always afraid something was watching me that I couldn't see. And I used to get freaked out sometimes by low tree branches that looked like shadowy tentacles...
I slept with a NIght Light until I was 5 or 6 I think, and I've always been a little edgy in the dark, but it's not like a phobia.

R

RainbowShy

I'm terrified of the dark and never sleep without a nightlight if I'm alone. The only time I sleep without one is when I go to conventions, because I am sharing a hotel room with three other people. But I find I don't need one then, anyway, because I feel safe having three other people in the room with me. At home, however, even though there are other people in the house, I'm alone in my room, and then I have to have a nightlight. I also sleep with two cats, both of whom alert me any time they hear footsteps outside my door, so they're like a back up alarm, heh.

That's usually how I am. At the anime con I go to, I stay in a hotel room with my parents. They usually turn the bathroom light on and crack the door some. Though, it's not because of me, but in case one of us has to get up during the night to go or to have a snack or something. I usually have the TV on all night too. I can't sleep without watching TV or having my laptop on. I got lucky last year because we got a suite. So, my parents got to have their own area and I had mine. I slept on the couch and kept on a small light in the room I was in that didn't bother them where they were.

bebehuey

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
  4. Private
Nope, haven't even wanted a nightlight since my early 20's, doing graveyards, and trying to sleep when everything is going on about me (I remember one week where the subdivision I was in decided to trim the trees, a week of hearing chainsaws, still gives me the willies after watching the Texas Chainsaw Massacres). I learned to much like the dark, after feeling like the main charactor from 'Insomnia' to the point, even though I haven't done shift work in, like 15 years, my bed cubby remains almost pitch black. even in the middle of the day. kinda comforting nowadays.

I was ruined as a little kid, living for several years with no electricity, aside from getting up and feeding the animals, and making the hike to school (5 mile walk to the bus stop, another 30 to the school, really and truly, and this was in the '80s) and going about with either a flashlight or starlight. I learned to like the night. Main exception is camping in bear country.

Bigbabybret

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
  5. Other
Well,

Not necessarily dark...more just no ability to see around...Having good awareness...

Ive stayed at my current gf apartment...no sleep for me...too much commotion and no way to see what's going on...

I've lived in the country, used to work security, just been ingrained in my head...

At home I have lots of cameras with motion detection and most are full third gen night vision so I can see very well...plus sensors in the ground for visitors, welcome or not...

Yes I'm paranoid...but also live alone in the sticks...my house burnt a few years back...no one noticed till I got back...

But, yes I've always been concerned of the unknown...and the dark expands it...

So, I feel it is an ingrained fear from our lower brain, similar to startling, and like...it's kept us safe when we aren't top of the food chain...which we aren't all the time...

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Sometimes.

When I was a kid I was scared of the Borg from Star Trek assimilating me in the basement if I turned out the lights (I think I watched "The Best of Both Worlds" and had a "Borg Nightmare"). I was always afraid something was watching me that I couldn't see. And I used to get freaked out sometimes by low tree branches that looked like shadowy tentacles...
I slept with a NIght Light until I was 5 or 6 I think, and I've always been a little edgy in the dark, but it's not like a phobia.

I think the Borg were one of the scariest threats from all the Star Trek series.

As for me, I thrive in the dark because I'm a werewolf, as everyone knows. I love to hunt in the moonlight, waiting for some foolish soul who thinks it's enjoyable to go out for a night time stroll.

More seriously, when I was a college student, but during the summer, I used to go run through the woods late at night, on the prowl. It's incredibly exhilarating, sniffing the night air and wondering what else is out there with you. Are they also a predator? At night, I sleep like a log. I have a security system and a noisy dog, as well as a 9mm. i think I'm safe.

KimbaFoxNatsume

Pokemon Trainer in, err, Training... Pants
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
I'm a little bit scared of the dark, perhaps ''uncomfortable'' is a better word choice. I sleep with a nightlight. However, being outside in darkness doesn't bother me. Basically, if I'm inside and I can at least make out the profiles of the stuff around me, I'm okay.

stanley19802

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
Hello All,

I wasn't afraid of the dark till I was 16. I had a bad experience during a episode of child abuse being locked in a pitch black room all night. So since then I have been terrified of the dark. I totally FREAK during power outages. For me, I have a lamp on 24/7. One of those 3 light level touch lamps. When I sleep I put it on the lower setting. Then in case the bulb goes out I got my fish tank next to my bed. And in case of power outages I have a few crib rail toys that have bright lights and then have a battory powered lantern right next to my bed. In the car is a mag-lite right next to my drivers seat. And in the house, at night I keep the above the stove light on to light the hallway and a night light in the bathroom. One night the light in the kitchen burned out, I wouldn't leave the room and just used my diaper till morning. So yea, safe to say me and the dark are so not friends. LOL.

-Baby Stanley

Waddles

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
I sure was when I was a kid, 4-10 years or so, used to have a hard time sleeping without the hall light on and my bedroom door open. Along with the worst night terrors you could imagine, I would wake up everyone in the house with the blood-curdling screams I let out, never was sure exactly why, but sure am glad I don't get them now. The odd bad dream, but if I am not sleeping too deeply, and realize what is happening, I force myself awake and get up to end the dream... works for me.

BabyToddler

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
I sleep with my snoopy nightlight on. It is kind of weird when I am in a house or a building of some kind I like a nightlight. But when I am outside in the dark I feel fine.

lokithegirlysergal

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
  6. Little
  7. Incontinent
Yes. even thou im a vampire, i am still vary much a cub. so if my mind is set to a cub, i am extremely scared of it. if my mind is set to adult, the dark is my favorite thing and i absolutely love it, its vary weird but..i wouldn't change it. i do not have a night light but i have my plushys that i hold tight because they keep me safe ;3;

AnonKiba

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Sissy
  5. Little
I used to horrified of the dark but i have gotten to the point of where i can ignore my fear, i still hate the dark the slightest noises scare the crap out of me but i can ignore most things. I saw the newest Paranormal movie with friends when it came out and I'm still freaking out at night. Like right now there was a bang noise in my closet and im too scared to open it even tho i know something just fell, i still dont wanna open it. Sometimes i hate the way i am -_-

R

RainbowShy

Yes. even thou im a vampire, i am still vary much a cub. so if my mind is set to a cub, i am extremely scared of it. if my mind is set to adult, the dark is my favorite thing and i absolutely love it, its vary weird but..i wouldn't change it. i do not have a night light but i have my plushys that i hold tight because they keep me safe ;3;

I'm sort of the same way. Like, I can't sleep if there's a lot of light, yet I will only sleep if the light is a bit bright enough to light my room.

I used to horrified of the dark but i have gotten to the point of where i can ignore my fear, i still hate the dark the slightest noises scare the crap out of me but i can ignore most things. I saw the newest Paranormal movie with friends when it came out and I'm still freaking out at night. Like right now there was a bang noise in my closet and im too scared to open it even tho i know something just fell, i still dont wanna open it. Sometimes i hate the way i am -_-

I get like that too, if I set my mind to something. My anxiety gets the best of me, and I start thinking somebody is going to break through the window and attack me. That's why I hate windows at night. x_x

AnonKiba

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Sissy
  5. Little
I'm sort of the same way. Like, I can't sleep if there's a lot of light, yet I will only sleep if the light is a bit bright enough to light my room.

I get like that too, if I set my mind to something. My anxiety gets the best of me, and I start thinking somebody is going to break through the window and attack me. That's why I hate windows at night. x_x

lol ya there have been times when i get home from work at 2am and i have to stare straight forward and just keep walking tell i get to the door. also omg your avatar is the cutest thing ever X3

R

RainbowShy

lol ya there have been times when i get home from work at 2am and i have to stare straight forward and just keep walking tell i get to the door. also omg your avatar is the cutest thing ever X3

I could look out the window and just totally freak out over nothing. I can't even watch horror movies because I get so many horrible night terrors about them. If something scares me, I have to turn a lamp on for protection because I feel like it will make all the bad scary thoughts go away.

and lol ikr. <3

BigKid25

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
Not necessarily dark...more just no ability to see around...Having good awareness...

I agree with this. It makes me uncomfortable to have areas in my proximity that I have no way to scan. I would like a nightlight but the problem is that I've been reading up on this idea that having artifical light hitting your eyes while you sleep will reduce the production of melatonin which is not good. So I turn on my tv and put on the timer to shut off in about 30 minutes. Then I fall asleep with a light on but wake up refreshed.

Status
Not open for further replies.