Not open for further replies.

D0ris

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Sissy
Any one else here a trekkie?

I guess I am in fact, although I haven't really considered myself one in name. The original show was one of my first childhood TV obsessions and I avidly awaited each new movie when they went that route. I wasn't an instant convert to TNG but I watched faithfully and it finally got good. I've had varying degrees of success with the other series but I've seen every episode except the DS9 baseball episode, which I'm boycotting due of general silliness. The latest movies are excellently cast but don't feel much like Star Trek to me. I'm curious to see what will happen now that Abrahms is out of the director's chair. Perhaps we'll see something that isn't a retread.

yup. seen every episode of every series and i collect the action figures

Longtime Trekkie here. I grew up watching The Next Generation, and I loved it. I always loved the thoughtfulness of it, that the solution wasn't just shooting everything until it smoked. I never got into DS9 as a teen, but I think I was just a bit too young to really get the nuance and depth of it. I watched Voyager for the first two seasons, but I felt like it just wasn't getting better.

It's funny, as I had relatively little exposure to the original series until I was a bit older. Consequently, while I can appreciate it by way of it being the original and being groundbreaking for its era, I don't have the love for it like I do for TNG. It's a fine show, but I have to remind myself that it's 1960s storytelling and television hadn't quite gotten to rich nuance and depth yet.

Well I was to a Star Trek convention in 1978 and met "Scotty". I own all three seasons of the original. I know the episodes but can not name them off the top of my head.

I liked TNG, and got bored with deep space 9, and pretty much everything after that.

I liked the first Movies, but when they changed the time reality for the new movies I lost all interests (excuse me but Spock never had a thing for Ohura!)

So does that make me a treky?

I would describe myself as somewhat of a trekkie. My basic rundown:

Origional Series:
- Liked it, still watchable but in a nostalgic kinda way, if I hadn't seen it as a kid it probably wouldn't have the same appeal at all

TNG:
- Liked it, but hasn't aged particularly well. Still has some very solid episodes, but the vast majority of episodes feel kinda lame now.

DS9:
- Loved it. Yes it was a cliche war story done in space, but it was a really damn good cliche war story done in space. I especially loved how they fixed the various races (especially the klingons) such that they actually made sense rather than being 1 dimensional plot devices.

Voyager:
- Boring characters, boring stories, and an entire season dedicated to a character who got boring 3 episodes in. A small number of ok episodes, but never could get into it. The Janeway character in particular was quite terrible. They went overboard with the strong female character thing, and we ended up with this all powerful all knowing and entirely unbelievable captain. You got the impression that the crew was just there for her convenience, as she was pretty much an expert on everything.

Enterprise:
- Absolutely loved the look and feel, hated the characters and stories. They really nailed the whole early explorer vibe, and the ship felt a lot more realistic (especially details such as the engine room and the control panels), but the characters were dull and flat (much like Voyager) and the stories were unoriginal and predictable. The heavy reliance on time travel as a plot device in particular really killed the show for me (I hate time travel centred plots unless they are done really well, and these wern't). Also what they did with the Vulcan's was damn criminal!

The Movies:

Not a fan of the generations movies, and really they are all kind of meh, with the possible exception of wrath of khan.

The latest movies are excellently cast but don't feel much like Star Trek to me.

The RedLetterMedia "Mr. Plinket" review of the first reboot (http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-trek/star-trek-09/) pretty much sums up all my feelings about the movie. They basically turned star trek from science fiction to star wars style science fantasy, but that in mind they made a pretty damn good movie and it was pretty much the only way it was going to happen given current audiences and the history of the series.

Last edited:
I am a big trekkie. Love TOS,TNG,DS9. Voyager was meh and ENT was awful.

Also does anyone have netflix here?

If someone could check something that be great. Is there any episodes missing from the tv series.

I love startrek, My favourites are TNG, and DS9. Never really got into TOS other than the movies and a few key episodes. I like VOY and ENT as well. The new start trek movies are kinda dumb imo, coulda been called "SPACE MOVIE" and have gotten the same reaction, the only thing trek about it are the names of the characters.

I am a "Trekker"! Trekkie is a derogatory term from the 60s given by those who don't have a clue or are star wars fans.

Nam Repaid said:
I am a "Trekker"! Trekkie is a derogatory term from the 60s given by those who don't have a clue or are star wars fans.

Beat me to it! Trekker here. Original series :)

Nam Repaid said:
Also used by those of us that don't take ourselves too seriously. I used to be a Trekker. I don't get too worked up about it these days, though.

egor said:
Well I was to a Star Trek convention in 1978 and met "Scotty". I own all three seasons of the original. I know the episodes but can not name them off the top of my head.

I liked TNG, and got bored with deep space 9, and pretty much everything after that.

I liked the first Movies, but when they changed the time reality for the new movies I lost all interests (excuse me but Spock never had a thing for Ohura!)

I also love Star Trek, all versions.
I have met "Scotty", "Spock", "Uhura", "Counselor Troi", and "Worf" at different conventions over the years in the Boston Area.

egor said:

It would make you a true Treky. I think Sheldon from Big Bang Theory would agree. I watched the first series when I was in college, so yes, I'm that old. In my opinion, it broke some new ground, and much was said about it. I enjoyed The Next Generation, and the movies. I still go and see the movies, the latest being quite good, I thought. But like others, as the other TV incarnations came along, I drifted away, almost like I was caught in a tracter beam. As for the Borq, didn't they assemble themselves into a single, human looking entity and position themselves as a member on the Supreme Court? No wonder he's so difficult.

I've enjoyed many episodes of the various TV shows as well as many of the movies. I wouldn't call myself a Trekker (or Trekkie), though. Further, I seem to have a special appreciation for the movies that most Trekkers don't care for, such as the original Motion Picture, as well as the recent J. J. Abrams installments.

Cottontail said:
I've enjoyed many episodes of the various TV shows as well as many of the movies. I wouldn't call myself a Trekker (or Trekkie), though. Further, I seem to have a special appreciation for the movies that most Trekkers don't care for, such as the original Motion Picture, as well as the recent J. J. Abrams installments.
The Motion Picture was a solid, if entirely too long, movie (and why do they keep finding more footage? It should have been no more than 90 minutes to begin with!). The Abrams installments, on the other hand... Absolutely terrible.

Now the real question is, do you like Star Trek V: The Final Frontier?

Starrunner said:
stuff about Star Trek
I have to politely disagree with you about the first season of TNG. When I was younger, I was right there with you. It felt slow, and sometimes it showed that the characters and the show itself were still finding their groove. I recently rewatched the first season, though, and now, I find it one of the best seasons of the show. I particularly liked the fact that it carried story elements through multiple episodes, and I actually really liked the conspiracy in the upper ranks storyline that they played out over several episodes. I'm sad that they never did anything like that through the rest of the show. Most of the show makes no reference even to events that happened previously, and they obviously knew how to do it since they did it in Season 1.

I felt that the characters made more sense (albeit within the framework of figuring out who they were). Tasha Yar was the better security chief, and I loved the dynamic of a strong female in that role. I mean, Worf is the easy and lazy choice (big burly guy is head of security nurrr), but Yar had so much more dimension. It's a shame Denise Crosby didn't stick with it, since by the time Yar died the character was becoming really quite interesting. I still like the idea of the blind guy driving the ship. I think one of the problems the first season particularly suffered from was that of too many good characters. Yar and Worf are both good characters, but I don't know that there was enough for both of them. Geordi and Wesley Crusher both were good characters, but trying to have both be driving didn't work. After Wesley starts on the bridge, Geordi just kinda hangs around for the rest of the season. Frankly, for as clever as Wesley was, I think it would have been neat had they put him as the wunderkind face of engineering (and then have one of the Chief Engineers of the week in the background as a "tutor").

And honestly, I liked the episode Skin of Evil. It's actually a really lame episode, at least in the resolution of the situation. What I liked, though, is that it shows how rough-and-tumble it still is out there. I mean, Tasha Yar's death is absolutely pointless. She didn't go out in a blaze of glory. She wasn't doing anything cool or special. She just got whacked while doing her job. And that's the whole point-Starfleet occasionally is a dangerous organization to work for, and she got killed by stupid shit that happened.

I will say that Seasons 3 and 4 were absolutely rock solid, though. Season 5 was kinda hit and miss. Season 6 was entertaining, but I feel like they started to lose sight of the characters after Berman completely took charge of the show. I mean, Chain of Command with Picard, Doctor Crusher, and Worf playing commando? That was the worst episode of the entire show IMO. Why is Picard last action hero all the sudden? And the doctor? The entire plot makes no sense, and everyone comes off looking absolutely whiny or incompetent. Riker being a whiny bitch that the new guy started changing things? STFU and do your job! The new guy not even listening to the input of the crew that's been there for six years? Absolutely not management material, let alone good enough to get him a captain's gig. Starfleet sending the captain of the Federation's flagship on an extremely dangerous mission for dubious gain? WHAT?

And then there was that episode they did where Riker fell in love with the genderless girl that actually had a gender (The Outcast). It was nothing more than Rick Berman's attempt to get the LGBT community off his back, and it was a shit episode that blatantly showed conversion therapy was successful. Being gendered is a phase? Go get some therapy and you'll be ok! It was absolutely demeaning to the LGBT community it was attempting to include. The entire episode felt contrived and forced. Actually, I take back what I said about Chain of Command. THIS was the worst episode of TNG. Rick Berman could have gone on TV and called us all a bunch of fags and been less anti-gay than was this episode.

Season 7 was pretty rough (although Thine Own Self was a brilliant episode!). The show itself could have staggered on for probably two more seasons, but it would have been rough. Paramount knew it, too, which is why they canceled it. They didn't want three Star Trek shows competing against each other, and TNG was running out of life by then. All Good Things, though, was a great conclusion!

Oh, and The Inner Light? Best episode of the entire series! Truth be told, I tear up every time I watch it. So moving and powerful!

GoldDragonAurkarm said:
Now the real question is, do you like Star Trek V: The Final Frontier?
It's certainly not one of my favorites. I'd probably watch it again before I'd watch Insurrection or Search for Spock, though. Something about Christopher Lloyd as a Klingon was just horribly distracting.

Cottontail said:
It's certainly not one of my favorites. I'd probably watch it again before I'd watch Insurrection or Search for Spock, though. Something about Christopher Lloyd as a Klingon was just horribly distracting.
Oh come now, Search for Spock wasn't terrible! ;) It at least had the good decency to be only 93 minutes. Final Frontier had such a neat premise, but they pissed it away at the end. If you ever read some of the production history, though, it all makes so much more sense. Apparently that script went through several rewrites, and the rock circle was meant to have demons and basically be a battle between heaven and hell. Of course, they decided that was way way too much money to make, so they kept hacking away at it until they got a script that fit their budget. I can forgive Sybok, but that ending? Peee Yew!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back