• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Any Stage Crew People

Status
Not open for further replies.

maccracker18

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Little, Incontinent
So yah im now a seinior and i finally have a chance to be on the stage crew. Wow, what a change we had since how it used to be. We had a guy from a local university who let us use all the lights from there, but his kid graduated and he left :sad: . We now have probably THE MOST GHETTO setup in the history of the world lol. For our sound we now only have like 3 wireless mics and a few wired ones, which are a royal pain to use. And to top it all off our lights are... well for a lack of a better word... interesting. We have no dimmers for the house lights, we have like 2 hanging units for up in the catwalk (We used to have like 5 or 10 of them) and the only way to control the stage lights is to use the big levers in the main booth lol. I think im going to take a few pics of our stuff and post them on here. But i was wondering, anyone else to stage stuff, and what dose your school have. Should be interesting to see lol.

Note: I JUST REALIZED IM A REGULAR!!!!! lol

Mandy

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
hahah have you not seen my avatar & signature and the lil name under mine hahah

im like ADISC's official techie i think :]

Wow your set up sucks >.<

maccracker18

Est. Contributor
Role
actualy

actually your avatar is what made me think to ask lol

closet dl

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
So yah im now a seinior and i finally have a chance to be on the stage crew. Wow, what a change we had since how it used to be. We had a guy from a local university who let us use all the lights from there, but his kid graduated and he left :sad: . We now have probably THE MOST GHETTO setup in the history of the world lol. For our sound we now only have like 3 wireless mics and a few wired ones, which are a royal pain to use. And to top it all off our lights are... well for a lack of a better word... interesting. We have no dimmers for the house lights, we have like 2 hanging units for up in the catwalk (We used to have like 5 or 10 of them) and the only way to control the stage lights is to use the big levers in the main booth lol. I think im going to take a few pics of our stuff and post them on here. But i was wondering, anyone else to stage stuff, and what dose your school have. Should be interesting to see lol.

Note: I JUST REALIZED IM A REGULAR!!!!! lol
Actually, the most GHETTO light setup in the world was the one we had when I was in a church singing group - two "towers" made out of PVC pipe holding six coffee cans each with different colored floods in them. No controls except switches for the individual bulbs! I am surprised we never started a fire!

S

Secret

I guess this counts but, im like the technician for my schools band/music class?

I can get your amps and gear
to power up
I can solder any connection
and draw any circuit diagram
I dabble in eqaulization and light control
I am the techie

Hahaha I think I made a poem/haiku thing?

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
To be or not to be, that is the question. Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the Slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. Or to take up arms against a sea of troubles and by opposing end them?
To die, to sleep no more! And by to sleep we say to end, the heartache and the thousands nature shocks that flesh is heir too. Tis a consumation, devoutly to be wished.
To die, to sleep, to sleep, perchance to dream, aye there's the rub. For in that sleep of death, what dreams may come when we have shuffl...

...Oh wait... Techies.... Nevermind.

Role
Other
All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
Except for those of us on the crew.

It's been too long for me to say what kind of a set the high school I went to has now, but I have two thoughts, yours does suck, and what do you need microphones for?

maccracker18

Est. Contributor
Role
well we used to use them for our chorus (THEY CANT SING LOUD!!!!! GRRRRRR) but now our chorus director says that they dont need them, i beg to differ. We have one peice in the Christmas concert where the chorus sings with the band, she made the band director make the band play so quiet that they sound like crap, and you can still barely hear them singing. So at least 4 this year they cant pin anything on the sound guys (and girl).

Elizabeth

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
I've done some tech stuff, though not really anything to do with lighting... More stage crew, I guess. Mostly, I prefer to be onstage, though I haven't done either for quite a while now.

S

Secret

Techies are hot like their solder ; o

I have to admist that was pretty lame of me lol : p

Mandy

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I do it in the booth *shifty eyes* :eek:
Haha backstage , the booth , backstage during a show , the dressing rooms , the prop closet , tech storage room ( where our sound and lighting equipment is stored , in the tool crib , want me to keep going?

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
I'm the sound guy. Just not at school, I do the sound at church.

lost-lotus

Est. Contributor
Role
I'm the sound guy's daughter...I've done sound and lights on a few school productions before...that was fun. Sounds like you're gonna have fun with your set up

FairestandFallen

Contributor
Role
, Carer
We have no dimmers for the house lights
Not possible. Dimmers are what make the lights work in a system.

Techie, here- was head of SC in middle school, looks like I'll be tech director in high school.

Ghetto tech setup:
-no lights, no mikes
-using florescents
-lecture hall stage
-cell phone ring tone for music

Oh wait. /house lights/. Scratch that. >.>

It's late (early?) where I am.. I was thinking stage lights. Sorry!

Last edited by a moderator:

quattrus

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur, Carer
Not possible. Dimmers are what make the lights work in a system.
Well, actually, electricity is what makes lights work... :tongueout:

A dimmer is needed if you want to regulate the intensity of light (to "dim" it, that's why it's called "dimmer") through a console that controls the dimmers, but if all you need is to turn lights on and off without making them fade, a switch is enough, and you don't necessarily need a dimmer for that. Then, of course a proper stage lighting system makes use of dimmers, but I've also seen poorly equipped theatres where all you could do to the lights was turn them "on" or "off".

Oh, if you're curious, I'm not exactly "stage crew", but I do a lot of my job in the field of technical services for business meetings, shows, and so on, and although what I usually take care of is the video production side of the whole thing, I also often handle lighting and audio equipment as well.

Mandy

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Well, actually, electricity is what makes lights work... :tongueout:

A dimmer is needed if you want to regulate the intensity of light (to "dim" it, that's why it's called "dimmer") through a console that controls the dimmers, but if all you need is to turn lights on and off without making them fade, a switch is enough, and you don't necessarily need a dimmer for that. Then, of course a proper stage lighting system makes use of dimmers, but I've also seen poorly equipped theatres where all you could do to the lights was turn them "on" or "off".

Oh, if you're curious, I'm not exactly "stage crew", but I do a lot of my job in the field of technical services for business meetings, shows, and so on, and although what I usually take care of is the video production side of the whole thing, I also often handle lighting and audio equipment as well.

Technically she was talking of stage lights. Stage lights won't work unless they have a dimmer...... You have to plug the light into a dimmer so that you can control it on the board yes. But it won't turn on without the board. So yes you need a dimmer for *stage* lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.