Any other guitar players here?

gnd567

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I was just wondering if there were any guitarists on here. I have played for most of my life and have been playing professionally in various bands for about fifteen years. I’ve played all sorts of genres with different bands but my favorite stuff to play is rootstock rock and roll type stuff: original or covers.

Anyine rise play? Either professionally or just for fun? What do you like to play?

Reactions: checkingoutall and Jr2012
gnd567 said:
I was just wondering if there were any guitarists on here. I have played for most of my life and have been playing professionally in various bands for about fifteen years. I’ve played all sorts of genres with different bands but my favorite stuff to play is rootstock rock and roll type stuff: original or covers.

Anyine rise play? Either professionally or just for fun? What do you like to play?
I've played guitar all life as well. Definitely have played many styles, from classical through flamenco, jazz, rock,metal, speed metal, my favorite is progressive! My favorite guitarist is Robert Fripp, his approach to music has inspired me probably more than any other contemporary artist! Are you familiar with King Crimson? I've played professionally. I'll be 66 in June so I'll probably not become a rock star anytime soon, but would love to write and sell that one song! I'm in Vegas, where are you located? Cheers for now😎

Jr2012 said:
I've played guitar all life as well. Definitely have played many styles, from classical through flamenco, jazz, rock,metal, speed metal, my favorite is progressive! My favorite guitarist is Robert Fripp, his approach to music has inspired me probably more than any other contemporary artist! Are you familiar with King Crimson? I've played professionally. I'll be 66 in June so I'll probably not become a rock star anytime soon, but would love to write and sell that one song! I'm in Vegas, where are you located? Cheers for now😎
I know who Robert Fripp is and his band King Crimson. I don’t know a lot about his/their music but his whole Frippertronics thing is pretty fascinating, especially considering how he started off doing it with a couple of reel-to-reels.

Reactions: Jr2012
gnd567 said:
I know who Robert Fripp is and his band King Crimson. I don’t know a lot about his/their music but his whole Frippertronics thing is pretty fascinating, especially considering how he started off doing it with a couple of reel-to-reels.

That is too cool huh? I did that back in the day with two sony 633's , i got the idea from my echoplex . It had 3 heads and you could move them to get a different sound and also speed it up or slow it down. So, i went and picked up a second tc633 open real playing in kind of srereo, 2 separate lines with different efects on each side and man the different sounds you could get, I've got a few nice effects but haven't been able to even get close with out having 2 3 head tape machines. Anyway, unfortunately open reel tape machines are a thing of the past. Ive tried with like 2 tascams it just confused the machines, i guess. Sorry i didn't mean to ramble on like that, it's just music is my "thing"😎and anything Fripp or Crimso related well, definitely my favorites!😁

Reactions: gnd567
Jr2012 said:
That is too cool huh? I did that back in the day with two sony 633's , i got the idea from my echoplex . It had 3 heads and you could move them to get a different sound and also speed it up or slow it down. So, i went and picked up a second tc633 open real playing in kind of srereo, 2 separate lines with different efects on each side and man the different sounds you could get, I've got a few nice effects but haven't been able to even get close with out having 2 3 head tape machines. Anyway, unfortunately open reel tape machines are a thing of the past. Ive tried with like 2 tascams it just confused the machines, i guess. Sorry i didn't mean to ramble on like that, it's just music is my "thing"😎and anything Fripp or Crimso related well, definitely my favorites!😁
Wow, that is cool! Id live to try something line that sone time. I have an old Sony reel to reel around here somewhere. I use old tape echoes (Echoplexes and Copicats) and reverb units with the stuff I do.

Hey! I'm a guitarist!
Been playing roughly 24 years or so. Played in 5 different bands, although not always as a guitarist (3 of the bands I was the drummer, one as a bassist, and the other as a guitarist).
Definitely my most prominent hobby is being a musician as I can't find a better way to express myself.
My influences for guitar would be Aerosmith, Robin trower, kiss, Joe Walsh, guns n roses, van Halen... the list goes on.

I'm a big gear nerd too, as I own half a basement's worth of gear. I think I'm pushing over 10 amplifiers now, 14 guitars, 4 basses, and two sets of drums.

Rock on people! 🤟

Reactions: gnd567 and Jr2012
I play, though I wouldn't attempt to claim that I'm particularly proficient. I've played in a few punk bands, nothing more complex than Ramones-style power chords, Dead Kennedys-style riffs and occasional ska upstrokes, which is pretty much within my wheelhouse. I can write songs, but I can't really solo or improvise worth a darn.

I've always favored Fender products, generally affordable Teles and Strats. I can't really justify buying anything particularly fancy unless I start playing more live music (which, since 2020, hasn't really been an option).

Reactions: Jr2012 and gnd567
I have played for quite a few years. Sadly no gigs over the last year. I love 80's rock/metal. Can't shred that well but I fake it pretty good.

Abdlchriscrinkle said:
I'm a big gear nerd too, as I own half a basement's worth of gear. I think I'm pushing over 10 amplifiers now, 14 guitars, 4 basses, and two sets of drums.

Rock on people! 🤟
That’s awesome. I’m a gear nerd too. I have way too much stuff... haha 😆

While I’ve mostly played guitar in the bands I’ve been in, I did play bass in a band for a couple of years. I have a set of drums but I’m the worst drummer in the world so I haven’t played them much.. haha.

Reactions: Jr2012 and Abdlchriscrinkle
PurplePup89 said:
I've always favored Fender products, generally affordable Teles and Strats. I can't really justify buying anything particularly fancy unless I start playing more live music (which, since 2020, hasn't really been an option).
footedpjs said:
I have played for quite a few years. Sadly no gigs over the last year. I love 80's rock/metal. Can't shred that well but I fake it pretty good.
Same here. Gigs have been very hard to come by this past year.

I spent a lot of time in my youth teaching myself folk guitar and then having a teacher try to teach me classical guitar (what i really wanted was rock and roll). All acoustic at the time until my teacher loaned me an electric twelve string for a while which was kind of neat.

I bought my son a Strat one year for Christmas. I played it a bit from time to time. I'd always wanted to get a hollow body electric of some sort and learn some jazz.

Mostly, though I'm a keyboard/piano player. I've got a Yamaha C5, KX88, DX7, DX7, Roland SC880, a KX88 and KX1 (gives me my ability to dance around like I was a rock guitarist) and a pretty elaborate (for its day) sampling system built around a 24 port DSP card (RME).

I've also got three accordions (several more than anybody needs says my wife), a trumpet (my grandfather's, I took lessons but wasn't very good), and a violin (belonged to my daughter when she was in school but somehow it never moved out with her).

Last edited:
I can play a banjo, does that count?

Reactions: KrankyPants, Jr2012 and gnd567
TexasToast11 said:
That’s cool. I play banjo too.

Reactions: Jr2012 and TexasToast11
willnotwill said:
I spent a lot of time in my youth teaching myself folk guitar and then having a teacher try to teach me classical guitar (what i really wanted was rock and roll). All acoustic at the time until my teacher loaned me an electric twelve string for a while which was kind of neat.

I bought my son a Strat one year for Christmas. I played it a bit from time to time. I'd always wanted to get a hollow body electric of some sort and learn some jazz.

Mostly, though I'm a keyboard/piano player. I've got a Yamaha C5, KX88, DX7, DX7, Roland SC880, a KX88 and KX1 (gives me my ability to dance around like I was a rock guitarist) and a pretty elaborate (for its day) sampling system built around a 24 port DSP card (RME).

I've also got three accordions (several more than anybody needs says my wife), a trumpet (my grandfather's, I took lessons but wasn't very good), and a violin (belonged to my daughter when she was in school but somehow it never moved out with her).
I borrowed an accordion once. I never figured it out though.

gnd567 said:
accordion
I had a hard time figuring it out as well and finally gave up. I remember when I was 14yrs old, after everybody left I go play pirate tunes on the pipe organ at my church. I got hit with the bible a lot on the back of my head..

TexasToast11 said:
I have a banjo. It's just like a guitar except it's tuned wrong :)

• Haha
Reactions: Jr2012 and KrankyPants
I've played guitar for 17 years. 🙂 🎸 I've played at restaurants and bars with my friend who plays drums. I like playing with other musicians every now and then.

gnd567 said:
Anyone else play? Either professionally or just for fun? What do you like to play?
just for fun, and nowadays acoustic nylon only because I don't have the time to maintain calloused fingertips.
I try to play Paul Simon, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Eagles and alike. Can't keep up, of course.

I don't have a banjo, but I know how to play my charrango.

Played a few bars locally but stopped due to covid and work(hard to stay out so late lol)we just jam every weekend making songs and having fun with a bunch of people I think we had 7 of us going at once last weekend lol .

My band is only 3 of us but pretty much all my close freinds play an instrument so it's fun being around everyone at the fire making stupid songs up on the 12 string with the cajon and acoustic bass.

Our bands doing a rehearsal in the next few weeks by ourselves to remake some 80s style songs we made in January (less screwing around with just us even though it's always a good time with a group of like minded people) I own like 15 guitars lmfao and a drum set lol cheers

Ps I've been a guitar player since I was like 12yo.
so 13 years I've been at it no regerts and lots of great times (thousands of hours of practice and over a 1000 recordings from when I was just starting out till now😅) looking back I would of deleted those early recordings now adays because we sucked hahah not any more tho and it's funnny to look back with my voice sounding like a girl haha

Last edited:
Nice to see there are a few other guitar players here.

i love music and play several instrumental but guitar is definitely my favorite. I have a passion for it. Playing, collecting gear etc.

I was making my living playing music before COVID.

Back