Status
Not open for further replies.

aNerdyAnorak

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Other
Hi all, im an aeroplane geek or AVgeek as sometimes called. I particularly like airliners and my favourites are the Airbus A380, Boeing 777-300 and the A340. However I do enjoy military airshows and have been to both the Bournemouth air festival and RIAT several times. I was a member of the air cadets when I was 14 but I left becasue I found it too strict. Are they're any other DL AB and little aeroplane geeks out their? :smile1:

Llayden

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I always had a love of aviation since before I could remember. In particular I really like WWII military aviation. I joined the Air Force and ended up working on many different aircraft and then got my A&P license before getting out due to injury. I still love aviation.

aNerdyAnorak

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Other
Sure are ;) here you get one :D
What's your favourite plane? :)

- - - Updated - - -

I always had a love of aviation since before I could remember. In particular I really like WWII military aviation. I joined the Air Force and ended up working on many different aircraft and then got my A&P license before getting out due to injury. I still love aviation.
Yeah I quite like the world war 2 planes, the spitfires are awesome in my opinion.

Llayden

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
What's your favourite plane? :)

- - - Updated - - -

...the spitfires are awesome in my opinion.

Why? Don't get me wrong, they have some awesome traits, but what endears you to a Spits over other aircraft of the era? I find them a bit mainstream for my liking.

babyracer37

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
I love airplanes, fling in them, fixing them, just being around them. Talking about Military airplanes, I thing the best planes out their are the A-10 Warthog, and the F-14A Tomcat.

aNerdyAnorak

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Other
Why? Don't get me wrong, they have some awesome traits, but what endears you to a Spits over other aircraft of the era? I find them a bit mainstream for my liking.
Having seen them at air shows for many years they have stuck in my mind as a spectacular aircraft, they are very iconic. Being British I am oddly patriotic towards this aircraft because of its role in the Battle of Britain, despite its counterpart, the Hurricane, being used more in the battle. I

Llayden

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Having seen them at air shows for many years they have stuck in my mind as a spectacular aircraft, they are very iconic. Being British I am oddly patriotic towards this aircraft because of its role in the Battle of Britain, despite its counterpart, the Hurricane, being used more in the battle. I

I love the Battle of Britain. One of my favorite periods in history. So sad that so many brave men had to throw their lives away, on all sides. I can understand the call of patriotism and the attraction to a national icon. However, I usually don't make my own opinions based on common conception. You would think that having a love of military aviation and history, and being from the other side of the pond, I would have an infatuation with the Mustangs. That could not be farther from the truth.

I think the Mustang, like the Spitfire, is an overused show pony that's great for looking pretty but afraid to get its hands dirty. I am a HUGE P-47 fan. Now THAT was an aircraft worthy of distinction. Much like I'm a huge fan of the Hurricane, what a wonderful and unique aircraft that was more than capable of looking after itself and was much more valuable than a handful of credit stealing Spitfires.

MonkeyFrog

Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
  2. Other
I have an odd fascination with trains and cars.. actually, most things with a big engine. Actually, most gadgets, even if they don't have engines. I like machines in general.

Andrewgdfw

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
" aeroplane geeks "

Aeroplane....how quaint and retro! WWI aviation, apparently.

- - - Updated - - -

I have an odd fascination with trains and cars.. actually, most things with a big engine. Actually, most gadgets, even if they don't have engines. I like machines in general.

. o O --- Oh my! I can sure do trains and cars, too ! My mechanical apptitude amazes even me, sometimes.

aNerdyAnorak

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Other
" aeroplane geeks "

Aeroplane....how quaint and retro! WWI aviation, apparently.

- - - Updated - - -

. o O --- Oh my! I can sure do trains and cars, too ! My mechanical apptitude amazes even me, sometimes.

In the UK we call them Aeroplanes, a bit like colour vs Color. I actually have a friend who gets really annoyed when it is spelt the "American" way

Llayden

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
In the UK we call them Aeroplanes, a bit like colour vs Color. I actually have a friend who gets really annoyed when it is spelt the "CORRECT" way

I fixed your post for ya ;) We invented it, we get to determine the spelling. Hahahaha! :)

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I fixed them for just under four years, one & two engine fighters/attack jets, but also worked on everything from a Piper Cub to the Air Force 747 Command Post. I have history with some of the original prototypes (F-15, A-10, F-16, etc.)

M

Maxx

Sort of.... I don't fly much or work with aircraft, but the fascination with the machinery is there.

We have the Chicago Air and Water Show here annually. Favorite memories from that? 20 or 30 years ago a Vulcan bomber made an appearance. Coming in along the beach at treetop level left to right, we didn't notice until it was almost on top of us, then the pilot cranked the nose up and hit the afterburners. Made quite an impression. Another from roughly the same time period, a flight of F4 Phantoms mock dogfighting, zipping around and even between Marina Towers. Kind of a Star Wars feel to it. They don't let them that close to buildings any more.

I've been to Oshkosh a couple of times, and took Junior on a pilgrimage to the U.S. Air Force Museum in Dayton when he was 10. They claimed to have one of everything the Air Force has ever flown, plus a lot more. Their photo gallery is well worth a look. http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

A photo I took of this plane has been the wallpaper on my Ubuntu computer for a couple of years:
150712-F-IO108-012.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.