Any One Else Who Was Enrolled In 'Special Programs' When They Where Kids ?

KitsuneFox

ADISC Moderator
Staff
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
  3. Carer
Has anyone else in here ever been enrolled in 'special programs' when they where kids ?

I was in a couple of them before the age of 12 ... * sigh *

One of them was "Camp Confidence" - a week long summer program for mentally disabled children. I was enrolled a few years. It was fun :)

The next one was a once-a-month special needs program where us kids would meet and do group art projects, and play games.

The other one, a therapist would take me out of the house for a couple of hours and do different things. Maybe go watch a movie, or go to the arcade, or have dinner somewhere.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
My junior school (7 to 11) headmistress thought I was what now is termed special needs (and this was before everyone spoke pc so if it offends I apologise in advance) and was then known as mentally retarded so they sent me to an educational psychologist for amongst other things an IQ test, turns out i wasn't stupid I just needed glasses. go figure

• Wow
Reactions: KitsuneFox
When I was in High School I was in enrolled in Special-Ed classes because my parents thought I wouldn't be able to understand the material enough to pass the tests or class. They also moved really quick through chapters and would only spend like a day on them. In the Special-Ed classes I was in we sometimes studied chapters for like a week or so, or until we all understood the material being presented to us. It was great though, one of my teachers taught us a class that Seniors take and that helped to knock out an additional class needed for next year. So when Senior year came, I only had one class that year and was out super early in the morning.

VayneAurelius said:
When I was in High School I was in enrolled in Special-Ed classes because my parents thought I wouldn't be able to understand the material enough to pass the tests or class. They also moved really quick through chapters and would only spend like a day on them. In the Special-Ed classes I was in we sometimes studied chapters for like a week or so, or until we all understood the material being presented to us. It was great though, one of my teachers taught us a class that Seniors take and that helped to knock out an additional class needed for next year. So when Senior year came, I only had one class that year and was out super early in the morning.
Great to hear it helped you so much :)

I was in special education in kindergarten, than from 3rd grade on.

Was in special ed from 2nd grade on for my Aspergers

Nope not me, I was always the smartest, dumbass in the room. Had the answers never cracked a book. Took shop classes and advanced college prep crap, stayed stoned for 4 years ditched alot and graduated w 3.97 gpa... then I joined the army and pissed it away because i didnt realize as had zero guidance i could have gotten into college w my sat scores. Was diagnosed hyper active, what today the fucks label ass a disability, add,adhd blah fucking blah... it's a damn3d super power if you learn to focus it. Because we can do 5 things at one time and don't need to write it down.

Last edited:
I used to go to day camp in the summer when I was 7. It was fun we will go bowling every Tuesday. We will go swimming and boating every Friday.

Last edited:
Yea! F'd my life up. I was a top student in my early years and took speed reading courses in the sixth grade, too soon to learn to look at sentences not words and my spelling grades fell in the eighth grade so my English teacher put me in a "special" English class for my freshman year. I got "labeled", put aside and never saw a guidance councilor until the last weeks of my senior year. So much for MIT. As my parents left me on my own during my high school years and I had a good job in the field I still work in 40+ years later I never thought about the pros and cons of higher education. A lifetime spent as a tech making higher paid engineer's mistakes work in the real world for vastly lower pay and now as retirement looms I curse an eighth grade English teacher who misunderstood and put me in a See Spot Run class.

• Sad
Back