Any experience with underpads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan_d

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
My grandmother has some of these....

I know she used them in case her diaper leaked at night.

When I took 2 I used them as stuffing for my diaper.... It did make it bigger, but not very comfortable.

So not much to say, but at 25 cents a piece I don't think its worth it. If you did get them, I would get a smaller package.

Ace

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I've tried some before, the only real use for them is to protect your bedding/furniture in the event your diaper were to leak. I can't imagine using one for any other reason. In the respect of protecting bedding, I'd say that they are so-so, if you are prone to moving around a lot in your sleep then they could move around and be ineffective.

From what I remember, they are plastic backed and a bit crinkly.

Lantis

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
Say if I were to make a light/medium wetting onto the pad in regular underwear - would it hold it?

Diapered Rabbit

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
These have a limited usefulness, as Ace pointed out. If you want protection for sheets, I've found that Medline, washable bed pads work the best (there are other brands). They are about 36" X 36" cloth that is plastic lined (waterproof). They will last for years if properly cared for.

Last edited:

Lantis

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
Like I said, I am also interested in having the pad in case of light bed wetting.

happyhelper

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Underpads are pretty much exactly what the name implies. Yes, if you were to wet in underwear, an underpad would likely contain it. Underpads don't absorb like a diaper, though. They're only padding, they don't have SAP gel.
Additionally, I would see about getting underpads from eBay. $50 for a case is crazy. eBay has them much cheaper. Also, I reccomend getting a larger size. 23x36 is the standard size, and I wouldn't really want anything smaller, especially for use on your bed. They make much larger sizes, even some with wings that tuck under the mattress, but they can get pretty expensive.

Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer
Reuasabes work well, but you to remember that on a bed, aany fluid is going to flow toward the lowest point and then move outward as that area is saturated. For that reason, definitely get a large size. If you're worried about the pad slipping around, look at the reusable kind. I have a couple, and they stay in place pretty well. The waterproofing is much stiffer on the underside and has a texture to it that keeps it from moving around (for the most part). If you toss and turn, the pad is moving regardless, something also ameliorated but not eliminated by a larger pad. If it really becomes an issue, you can glue a piece of friction material to the underside. This material is what you find on the edges of tile stairways in many schools, hospitals, public building, etc. It is black and has a rubberized quality with a rough texture, as though sand paper was covered in liquid rubber. You can buy this stuff in any hardware store. It can get wet, but I'd try a sample before putting in the dryer on a medium or high temperature. But reusable pads are relatively thin, so they air dry very quickly. Just don't wash them in hot water.

Lantis

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
Additionally, I would see about getting underpads from eBay. $50 for a case is crazy. eBay has them much cheaper. Also, I reccomend getting a larger size. 23x36 is the standard size, and I wouldn't really want anything smaller, especially for use on your bed. They make much larger sizes, even some with wings that tuck under the mattress, but they can get pretty expensive.

I already ordered a 150 case of the 23x36 pads along with a case of Medium Secure Plus.

Lantis

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
My Secure underpads and diapers came today. I placed an underpad on my bed and took a nap in a Secure Plus; while the pad felt nice, it moved around a lot and got pretty crinkly by the time I woke up.

Is there any way to keep the underpad better in place?

happyhelper

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
You could keep the pad under the sheet. Your sheet would get wet if you leaked, but the mattress would be protected. The unfortunate part, though, is that after a week of sleeping on the pad, it will pretty much be destroyed whether it gets wet or not.
Maybe try putting loops ot duct tape on the back of the pad to attach it to the sheet? I know there are some underpads that have sticky tabs on them to attach them to the sheet. Also, maybe try using two pads, esp if you have a larger bed. Those are all the ideas I have...

Nicky

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
XP Medical - Abena Abri-San Incontinence Pads

^Try the top one. (Abena Abri Let Maxi). They are awsome in my opinion, almost doubling the lifespan of a normal diaper.

My Secure underpads and diapers came today. I placed an underpad on my bed and took a nap in a Secure Plus; while the pad felt nice, it moved around a lot and got pretty crinkly by the time I woke up.

Is there any way to keep the underpad better in place?

Staples maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:

m8mamiya

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
Well ive had a few experiences with underpads and to me they seem like a good cheap way to protect a mattress. But just a question, does anyone know of any extremely quiet underpads, i live with a roommate and in the case that i do decide to wear/wet, then like i would really rather him not have an annoying crinkling noise alert suspicions.

Spaz

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
In the respect of protecting bedding, I'd say that they are so-so, if you are prone to moving around a lot in your sleep then they could move around and be ineffective

I would say ineffective for the reason above. I used them many years ago and when I woke up in the morning, I would be wet, my sheets were wet and the damn thing would be crinkled up somewhere else on the bed completely dry. Unless you sleep like a mummy forget about it for your bed.
Spaz

Slycamer

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
here is my idea. get one of those bed wetting plastic sheets put it on your bed then put your under pad on then duct tap the corners a bit then wala (is that spelled right?) one matris saver.

what i want to know is what you do with the covers? it sounds like your worried about ruining the thing that isn't noticed. i mean your room mate is bound to see the big rim around the pee spot. but they don't look at the matress

Status
Not open for further replies.