Antibiotics Cause Diarrhea - Tips and Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

DL1989

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I'm not sure how many of you all out there are fecal incontinent as well as urinary. I'm only urinary and mostly only at night but I do have a question.

Background:
I'm on a bunch of meds right now for the first time since I was in High School and I just filled my diaper before I could even get my diaper off. Normally when I'm sick with a head cold I just keep myself in a diaper all the time so I can sleep but that was a big mess to deal with. Granted it might have been worse had I not had a diaper on at all but I think I could have made it had I not been diapered. I read online this is a common side effect of antibiotics.

Question:
Do any of you get an upset stomach when on antibiotics and if so how do you deal with that? Also any tips on how to deal with fecal incontinence diaper changes would be appreciated as with how quickly that happened I honestly don't feel completely comfortable in anything but a full M4 right now.

Too many antibiotics can cause its own infection which needs to be treated with a different antibiotic. This happened to my wife once. If the diarrhea(?) continues, I would see your doctor again.

But, yes, antibiotics can cause stomach problems on their own. Make sure you follow directions. Some say on a full stomach, some say empty. Some say with milk, some say avoid it.

Something to remember about antibiotics is that it will also depopulate you good gut bacteria. On my recent stint of IV and oral antibiotics, probiotics were prescribed, and it might be something you look into. Florastar (or somefing like that) is a good one that is OTC, and designed specifically for antibiotic use. And yeah, they can really upset the balance of microbial lifeforms in and on your body, so if it doesn't clear up, definitely go to the doctor.

If you don't want to buy probiotics, yogurt has the good bacteria your gut needs when antibiotics kill them off. Cheap, tasty, and easy to find...

Yeah it's common. Antibiotics kill off your good gut bacteria, a d will need to be replace. Look for a drink called keifer. Lots of probiotics to get you back on track.

So far I'm doing okay all day today must have just been a fluke this morning.

DL1989 said:
So far I'm doing okay all day today must have just been a fluke this morning.

That, and your appendix acts like a safe house to guard against antibiotics wiping out the good bacteria in your gut. For some, we can rebound pretty quick. For others (like me), our microbiome needs a little help getting replenished.

Can't add much to what folks have already posted (and suggested as ways to remedy the unpleasantness), only to raise my hand to add myself to the roster of those who have trouble with NSAIDS/Sulfa/BSA (Broad-Spectrum-Antibiotics) medicines. They utterly wreck my G.I. tract, and I know I'm in for a very unpleasant experience.

I'd like to add, probiotics aren't a bad idea, but yogurt never did the trick for me. I have to take oral pills, so the stuff will make it to my intestinal tract w/o my stomach rendering most of it a lost cause.
I've done some self-research into yogurt enemas (don't *CRINGE* just reading it, 'I' have to actually DO it! YUCK), but don't have anything I can suggest atm. Different recipes an' stuff. Still working my way through various ones, but only when I'm recovering from another bout of antibiotic apocalypse(s)..

Hope your tummy improves fast, and you're back to your regular self! (semi-pun there. don't kill me) ;-)

B.

Can't see your doctor conveniently - check with your pharmacist for help. Still having problems no help check the print on the prescription or back of the box OTC meds for a 800 help line.
Maybe even a internet website. Serious stuff - poison life threatening heck call 911 - no they don't have to send the paramedics to your door but can provide you with a contact.

I’m on my next round of antibiotics as I’m down to only one infection now. That being said my gut still flips from being okay to immediate need to go. I just picked up a couple packs of real fit and just wear a diaper everyday. No need to use them just an extra layer of insurance. (Nobody can tell at all I’m wearing)

Hi, yeah as someone mentioned, kefir is great stuff, but try to get it at your local food co-op or health food store because the stuff in a normal grocery store , which is usually lifeway, is pretty much useless, since it has so much sugar in it. While im not on anti biotic, i do take metformin, and notice sometimes, am more prone to an accident because of it, and usually its in combination with whatever foods ive eaten they ought the day. It has happened to me twice this week and luckily both accidents were while i was at home.
Getting back to kefir though , i usually use it in my daily smoothie, with berries and other fruit and veggies and hemp hearts, and potato starch,but this stuff is actually not starch but fiber, and if i use to much of this stuff ill have an accident an hour later. So this is while im pretty careful with the potato starch. I guess now i need diapers for more than just my urinary ic issues.

Jumping in on the kefir rec, there's also something called water kefir. It's made with different bacteria that are fed differently, and works a little slower, but it's also good for the guts and an alternative for those who can't have dairy. It's slightly tart (not nearly as much as kombucha, another good option) and lightly fizzy.

To save money I learned how to ferment it myself because I actually liked it so much. I drink a pint a day.

nikthewerelion said:
Hi, yeah as someone mentioned, kefir is great stuff, but try to get it at your local food co-op or health food store because the stuff in a normal grocery store , which is usually lifeway, is pretty much useless, since it has so much sugar in it. While im not on anti biotic, i do take metformin, and notice sometimes, am more prone to an accident because of it, and usually its in combination with whatever foods ive eaten they ought the day. It has happened to me twice this week and luckily both accidents were while i was at home.
Getting back to kefir though , i usually use it in my daily smoothie, with berries and other fruit and veggies and hemp hearts, and potato starch,but this stuff is actually not starch but fiber, and if i use to much of this stuff ill have an accident an hour later. So this is while im pretty careful with the potato starch. I guess now i need diapers for more than just my urinary ic issues.

You should watch how how many sugar and starch carbs you ingest. This is the biggest culprit with the whole metformin issue. Probably shouldn't be using the potato starch in your smoothies. I watch what I eat on it, and do fine unless I go over board on mostly the starches.

Every time I'm on antibiotics everything goes through me like water, I wear "Molicare SuperPlus" and I just make sure to stay changed and keep a few diapers in my book bag or under the car seat.
P.s. Yogurt seems to always help when I'm on antibiotics, just 1 or 2 per day and that at least helps the body a little bit.

Potato starch is actually not a starch but it is what is known as a resistant starch which despite the name is actually a form of fiber which isn’t really digested by the body that well but it slows the uptake of sugar by your body and so slows the spikes that you get when you eat things like potatoes and rice. Like any other thing that has carbs you don’t want to overdo it with potatoes or rice but if you cook these things stick them in the fridge overnight and then reheat them again the next day rebuilds the resistant starch that broke down in the process of cooking. For me the easiest way to get potato starch is to just buy it in powder form and add it to my smoothies but since it’s a fiber you can easily overdo it thus making it far easier to have accidents later on in the day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back