Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
  6. Little
I'm starting to accept that, as a 40-something, I've entered into that phase of life where the passing of an older family member is going to be a regular occurrence. In the last three years, wife and I have both lost parents. Aunts and uncles have fallen ill and are in various stages of decline......

This afternoon, on my way out of the office, I got a call from my mom. One of her brothers, and certainly my favorite uncle on that side of the family, had passed away after a short battle with glioblastoma, an aggressive brain cancer. He'd been diagnosed in July and been told he had about a year to live, but it became clear very soon after that a year was optimistic.

This was an uncle who, regardless of my age, always seemed to find some way to connect. Sis and I talked this afternoon, and were amused to discover that we remembered many of the same silly things he'd done and said to make us giggle when we were little. He wasn't the most successful guy, career-wise or relationship-wise, but might've seemed more human for it. I think that's what we liked about him. He seemed like a big kid at heart.

So! I'll miss him.

Crap.

As the self-appointed family videographer, I'm digging through hard drives full of old video now, collecting what evidence I can of his endearing quirks. They'll probably make it into some video tribute at his memorial.

Last edited:
We are burying my favorite uncle tomorrow. He lived for the past 15 years with Alzheimers, so his death is actually a release of sorts. But it still sucks.

But I have a crap ton of awesome stories and memories of him. I trust the same is true of your uncle.

• Sad
Reactions: Cottontail
Illinoise said:
We are burying my favorite uncle tomorrow. He lived for the past 15 years with Alzheimers, so his death is actually a release of sorts. But it still sucks.

But I have a crap ton of awesome stories and memories of him. I trust the same is true of your uncle.
Sorry to hear it. I know what you mean about a release, though. I lost a grandma to Alzheimer's, and can recall the awkwardness and sense of loss at having to be re-introduced to her when we visited. As the years have passed, though, it's become easier to remember the times that came before that stuff.

Last edited:
Back