Status
Not open for further replies.

CrinklesTheBunny

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
Today I was on the Internet looking at adult baby stuff. It kind of got me thinking. I was thinking about what it would be like to have a brick and mortar adult baby store. What do you guys think?

CrinklesTheBunny

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
Brick and mortar is a term that means an actually store that you would go to like Toys "R" Us or Babies "R" Us.

Frank9127

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Oh I see.mim trying to post new stuff like everyone but Do not know how

Tyger

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
It would be awesome, but you would have a very empty store. You might have a few bricks thrown through your windows from people who are upset over misunderstanding the idea of AB/DL's. Personally though, I dream of a day where I get to walk into an Adult Baby store and look at all of the cute items in person rather than online, that would be so awesome, I would be broke in a heartbeat.

Pulluplover

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
It would be fun. But an amazing online store(for which there is not one) would be far more profitable for such a nitch market. While our fetishes and related fetishes do seem to be growing it is still a small market. And EVERYTHING is moving away from brick and mortar selling to online. I have been to local sex shops myself and they carry such plain vanilla items that they never have what I am looking for. But they cater to what they think the masses want. Despite this the online business in that industry is far more massive. There is also less of an embarrassment factor shopping online.

CrinklesTheBunny

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
I've explained this before, but for the sake of this conversation I'll say it again. I don't consider my infantilism a fetish. It's part of who I am.

GoldDragonAurkarm

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I've heard that there is such an establishment, or at least the closest thing out there to one, somewhere near Kitchener or Waterloo, Ontario. God only knows why such a shop would pop up there, and I've never been to it to confirm it even exists.

To me, it seems like the ABDL market is such a geographically dispersed market that having a brick-and-mortar presence would be a money-loser, especially in somewhere smaller. I mean, I could see having a full-on fetish shop that does most of its business online. Then at least the bills are paid and keeping the lights on can be written off. It would be cool to be able to see products in person, see how thick one diaper is compared to the next, feel the plastic, look at various paci designs, bla bla blah. I just can't get my head around a sufficiently strong business case for a brick-and-mortar presence. Even if one went somewhere where real estate is cheap and owned the building outright, just putting the lights on and paying someone to mind the register still seem like they'd cost more than one could make selling gear that would probably have to be marked up from online prices.

I'd love to see how the store that may or may not exist in Ontario is set up and how they made a business case for it.

Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Uhm I know this is television. But there is an episode of CSI, that features an ab/dl case. And during the investigation the detectives end up following leads to a sex shop geared specifically towards ab/dl folks. It's rather interesting and if they featured on there i'd like to think they based the idea on reality.

gigglemuffinz

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
It's a cute idea, but I think that one specifying in only AB/DL stuff doesn't seem likely. Maybe over time general fetish shops might have more ABDL sections though. That would be fun. However I think by the time that would happen the need for dedicated stores where you walk all around shelves will be on the verge of a collapse though. I imagine physical locations will be more automated and focused on just "pick up and go" over time.

Online shopping tends to work for me though, and it would be embarrassing to be seen buying that kinda stuff in person. I know some people like that though. Hehe.

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
The ones like this that seem to endure are online retailers that allow for pickup. Some do have "shopping" by appointment but I think it's going to be hard to get enough of us in one area to economically justify a real store, not to mention the complications of just generally doing that as a business where anyone could walk in. It seems to me like more trouble than it would be worth, even for an eccentric, well to do ABDL who didn't mind the red ink.

stanley19802

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
Hello Everyone,

They have a in person store here in California too. It's the store called Life Styles Emorium. Although just visiting their site I see they had to close their in person store. I had visited it back in 2001 with a AB friend. They had TONS of stuff and a fitting room so you could try on the baby clothes. Of course for sanitary reasons you can't try on cloth diapers unless you buy them first. But yea, it was nice to see things up close and be able to hold it in your hand. But I think the only way to make it work well is to have a store where the owner lives in the back making it a residence with a store in the very front and have a door bell that lets you know when a customer comes into the store. And as others have mentioned, everything sold in the store can be put online so when things are slow in the store you can count on people buying online to keep the money coming in. That's my two cents anyway. :)

-Stanley

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Hello Everyone,

They have a in person store here in California too. It's the store called Life Styles Emorium. Although just visiting their site I see they had to close their in person store.

AB/DL stores aren't feasible unless you really want to waste money running one. On a averaged day, you'll probably see about 2 people then you'll see them buy the same diapers online or leave since you're just a reseller and likely don't buy in bulk from the maker. Plus people like the convenience of buying online.

CrinklesTheBunny

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
Seriously buying from a store is convenient to me. I can actually see what I'm buying instead of just a picture.

HoganBunny

Legendary Bun
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Little
I've heard that there is such an establishment, or at least the closest thing out there to one, somewhere near Kitchener or Waterloo, Ontario. God only knows why such a shop would pop up there, and I've never been to it to confirm it even exists.

I did a quick Google search and found this thread on ADISC. Could be the store you've heard of, possibly.

P

PyjamaBaby

I did a quick Google search and found this thread on ADISC. Could be the store you've heard of, possibly.

That is the one. Rearz.ca

They survive by being an online business as well. They also do ABDL meet ups, though I've not been brave enough to go to one. I have bought online and they give excellent customer service

Sanch

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
Seriously buying from a store is convenient to me. I can actually see what I'm buying instead of just a picture.

I think an ABDL store would really come into its own with items like Onesies and Sleepsacs, where they're usually made to a custom fit. In the same way that I'd much rather get fitted for a suit in a clothing store than chance my luck online where the measurements and cut tend to vary somewhat, I think certain ABDL items are far better to 'try before you buy'.

These are the areas where I think a physical ABDL shop could conceivably make a profit, as opposed to through sales of t-shirts, bibs, diapers etc. where getting an exact fit for your shape isn't quite as important.

foxkits

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
I always liked the store in a store the front business helps keep you going but if you ask then led into the back store ab/dl.
I like to see what im getting see if it fits quality too.
When I go into a store I want it now not order it on line.
Every time I here oh you need to order it on line I tell the sales person if I have to do that then I will buy from ebay get it cheaper .

Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I think an ABDL store would really come into its own with items like Onesies and Sleepsacs, where they're usually made to a custom fit. In the same way that I'd much rather get fitted for a suit in a clothing store than chance my luck online where the measurements and cut tend to vary somewhat, I think certain ABDL items are far better to 'try before you buy'.

These are the areas where I think a physical ABDL shop could conceivably make a profit, as opposed to through sales of t-shirts, bibs, diapers etc. where getting an exact fit for your shape isn't quite as important.

At that point, why not just run a regular tailor shop specializing in children's clothing and costumes? The ABDL community is reasonably well-connected, so if people found out a particular clothing shop was amenable to making adult-sized baby clothes, I think word would spread, yet the store would be sure to make more money if it also produced regular children's clothing in a variety of sizes, since that would have a much broader potential walk-in customer base.

Status
Not open for further replies.