American view of europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Marley

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Many europeens have strong opinions about USA, especially after Bush got elected. Many, the majority to the left when it comes to politics, sees US as one of the largest threat today (along with other "bad" states"). No matter what I feel, I still see that many have quite a bit prejudice against you. But how does americans view "Europe"? ( And by Europe, i think of what many americans define Europe as, england, france, germany, holland (amsterdam), italy ( and ofcourse norway:smile1:) Does you regards europe as some liberal, anti-war idiots? A good place to smoke pot (amsterdam)? And do some of you still dislike France about the Iraqi war? You know, stuff like that.

Last edited:

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
Well I think that British people are weird, I think the French can't make a decent product to save their lives and Germany rules!

Kovy

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little, Carer
Does you regards europe as some liberal, anti-war idiots? ... And do some of you still dislike France about the Iraqi war?
Not at all. Not all Americans are conservative nutjobs who hate France and love war. The only thing I don't like about Europe: the people who think all Americans are like this, before giving them a chance. (Does not apply to those who hate Ugly Americans.)

Role
Diaper Lover
I hate Europeans that hate my Country. I don't hate you, don't hate me. Think about it this way, I don't hate any of the countries in the middle east, I hate the Extremists/terrorists within those countries, which sometimes is the government.

If you hate the USA, I hate you. :D

You Euro's seem to be OK guys, I don't really know enough about you but everyone on this site is just fine, I've never been to Europe sadly. I can't judge you guys yet.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
What I think about Europe as a whole is Indifferent.

What I think about each different country in Europe varies however.

I Don't mind the UK, though I can't agree with them banning guns. I saw a tape of two police officers getting their ass kicked by a gang of soccer hooligans. Thankfully the cops dint have guns so they got their asses kicked. I am not saying it's good the cops got their asses kicked and had to call for backup. I am just making a point that maybe if they had guns it would of been less likely to happen.

Germany I don't really mind, they seam to be keeping to themselves and they are handling their own problems pretty damn well from the looks.

France, well hell if they hate America/American's so much then I see no reason to do anything for them.

every other country I am indifferent towards, nor do I know a lot about what they are doing.

ShyBaby

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
One thing that strikes me about Europeans (Britons included) is how quickly they will dismiss racism as some barbaric relic of their past then in the same breath glibly slag off the Americans or indeed their own next door neighbours with sweeping generalizations.
Europe is steeped in a history of war and (very little) peace that the whole world could learn lessons from, but it's less united than the states of America and as such spends a lot of time arguing with itself.

Dammit, I've forgotten what it is I was trying to say - I think I was trying to make plaintive cry of "why can't everyone get along and understand each other?" (and try and work out why 'hate' is such a bad idea?)

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
I wish we could do some of the things that the EU has done, but I'm fairly happy with the way things are in America. I hate Europe because all of these cool people are there and I have to spend lots of money to go see them. Stupid water.

Boogeyman

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer
Do you REALLY want to know what America thinks about Europe? I don't think you do.

SteveC1981

Contributor
Role
, Other, Private
I'm not quite sure how to answer this. Are we supposed to be on the outside looking in? If so...

Well, when I think about Europe, I think of a group of nations far more diverse than our American states, as Europe has existed for over 1000 years, which is more than twice as long as what is now the U.S. has been around (as both colonies and as a nation). In America, we are all fairly united by a common language (although parts of the country are as bilingual as parts of Canada). In Europe, cultures have developed separately via their own languages, despite their close geography.

Where does the liberal come from? Well, like I said, Europe is a lot more diverse than America, so it's harder to make blanket statements, but Europe has scarcer resources than America, so some virtues of capitalism would be a bit harder to sell to a crowd there.

When it comes to a stance on war, the devastation of WWII and its aftermath (Joseph Stalin basically claiming Eastern Europe for the Soviet Union), the larger nations of Western Europe aren't keen on going to war time and again unless it directly affects them and want to try using diplomacy first. Great Britain is the odd exception to this rule, as it once held the largest empire in the modern world.

France?? As far as why they are so afraid of war, I can give you two reasonable answers: The French Revolution (basically, they thought doing an American Revolution in France would go smooth...nope, it didn't) and World War I (fighting in trenches, mustard gas, etc...). Do I hate France for disagreeing with the U.S. about its position on Iraq and Afghanistan? Not too much....although I think their opinions on war might have changed had they been attacked. Bush is not king of the world, neither was Bill Clinton, and Barack Obama will not be one.

Is Amsterdam a good place to smoke pot??? Well, I don't even smoke cigarettes, let alone pot...so if I went to Amsterdam, I'd be spending my time doing something else :laugh:

Many europeens have strong opinions about USA, especially after Bush got elected. Many, the majority to the left when it comes to politics, sees US as one of the largest threat today (along with other "bad" states"). No matter what I feel, I still see that many have quite a bit prejudice against you. But how does americans view "Europe"? ( And by Europe, i think of what many americans define Europe as, england, france, germany, holland (amsterdam), italy ( and ofcourse norway:smile1:) Does you regards europe as some liberal, anti-war idiots? A good place to smoke pot (amsterdam)? And do some of you still dislike France about the Iraqi war? You know, stuff like that.
But to tell you the truth, I don't think the opinions of Americans from a European perspective will change all that much because we are changing from Bush to Obama. Both of them are individuals, out of 300 million Americans. Not only that, but America changes its president every 4 to 8 years, while some European countries still have monarchs (figurehead or not), or elected leaders without term limits (who might as well be monarchs).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ace

Mr. Marley

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Do you REALLY want to know what America thinks about Europe? I don't think you do.
I could have written a better post, I suppose.
What I i was trying to find out, is what you think when you hear europe. Like norwegians, if you ask them what they think about america, some would say " a country spreading democracy around the world", some would go the other way, hating bush and america in general ( like quite a lot do). I know what kind of feelings and stereothypes many people in western europe have about america, both good and bad. But not so much about what americans feel about europe. Is that easier to understand?
And I write Europe ( not England or Germany, but Europe as a whole) because from my knowledge of americans ( mainly based on movies like superbad, harold and kumar all the other from hollywood:D), many americans regards europe as one country. I'm not trying to start a "what's best of europe or usa" thread, even though my title for it could suggest otherwise.

Last edited:

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
And I write Europe ( not England or Germany, but Europe as a whole) because from my knowledge of americans ( mainly based on movies like superbad, harold and kumar all the other from hollywood), many americans regards europe as one country.
Wow. That is such a terrible assumption to make.

Especially considering the movies you cited were comedies.

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
Oh, okay. Irony is lost on me :<

I understand. It's hard enough learning English's sister language, German. I'm so lame!

LaramFox

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy
I Don't mind the UK, though I can't agree with them banning guns. I saw a tape of two police officers getting their ass kicked by a gang of soccer hooligans. Thankfully the cops dint have guns so they got their asses kicked. I am not saying it's good the cops got their asses kicked and had to call for backup. I am just making a point that maybe if they had guns it would of been less likely to happen.
No No No No No No No No No N-o No.! If They Had Guns, They Wouldn't Use Them Anyway, American Cops Are A Bit Trigger Happy In Some Cases. Our Police Do Carry Guns, But Only The Special Units, And Only Pistols, And Sometimes, They Might Have MP5's, Where As Your SWAT Teams Carry Assault Rifles, Shotguns Etc. But, All The Police Carry Pepper Spray Nowadays*.

*Blame My Nan For That, She's Always Saying Nowadays. ^.^

But I Have Almost No Problem With Americans, Unless Your Like Jason (My Buddy) And You Think Your Military's So Much Better Than The British... Your So Wrong, In 1917, When You Joined WWI, Your Men Were So Useless, We Taught You Everything You Know Now, We Even Trained Your Special Forces When They Were Established. ^.^

Also: I Agree With You Takashi, Germany Rules. ^.^

I Disagree On Your Stance About British People, Why Are We "Weird"?

I Have No Real Stance On The French, But, I Think, They Dont Want To Fight Any More Needless Wars, WWI Had A Point At First, For The French, Defend Their Country From German Occupation, By 1916 It Was Just A Massacre... Nothing More... Meaning The French Ended Up Fighting A Needless War, And Lost At The Least, Almost 1,000,000 Men. I Could Tell You The Exact Confirmed Kill Count, But My Books Missing. ^.^

Americans Were Trying To Stay Out Of That War For As Long As Possible, By The Time They Were On The Feild, It Was Almost 1918, And The War Ended That Year, Then World War Two, They Stayed Out Untill Japan Attacked Them. ^.^

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
In 1917, When You Joined WWI, Your Men Were So Useless, We Taught You Everything You Know Now
WORLD WAR ONE MEET WORLD WAR TWO

[removed]

You should also read some less biased books. WWII was totally America's triumph. We certainly didn't do much in WWI though.

Last edited by a moderator:

ade

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
but.......isn't this thread only going to produce the ideas and opinions of a tiny minority of largely urban and unworldlywise internetters?

and i have to say that we should ideally differentiate between the actions and opinions of governments and media, and their subjugated and ignored peoples.
i have to say it because i know from personal experience that foreigners will only be gleaning what information they can from 'official', and mostly capital based, sources. i can say without a doubt that the image that is presented to the world of a nation's people will be that of, or by, a wealthy, middle-class, not the majority.

and it's a mistake to think of european nations as 'liberal', as what is passed off as liberal is usually just an inverse fascism and as such, is much of a relic in it being a hysterical response to the first half of the twentieth century.
i can understand why many americans may view europe as liberal but, in truth, most of that liberalism is just a front and often a lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.