Am I overweight :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryce

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Well, I went to the doctor today to get this lump checked out, turns out its because I have a curved spine. It's nothing bad, just some people have it, it's very common he said. Getting to the point...

I get weighed and I'm 165 pounds. I can't help but think I'm overweight now. I'm 20, 5'9 or 5'8. My dad now is 6'0, 60 and only weighs like 105 pounds, yet doctors say he's healthy.

Am I overweight?

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
You're 5'9" or 1.75 meters and 165 lbs or 75 kg.
According to the popular Body Mass Index, your BMI is: 75/1.75^2 = 24.49.
The documentation to the BMI says: "a BMI of 18.5 to 25 may indicate optimal weight", so that leads me to conclude that you're still at your optimal weight.

However, the BMI is flawed as it does not take into account how fit you are, how much body fat you have and if you have strong or weak bones. Muscular people and people with strong bones weigh more than people who have lots of fat, and since I don't know which category you call into, it's for you to decide really.

Peachy

X

xdeadx

Dude that's so not overweight =P

I'm 5'7" and 170 lbs.

And on a side note, muscle weighs more than fat. So if you're more muscular than fatty then that can also explain your weight. OR if you're just straight skinny then you might have stronger bones like Peachy said.

Role
Other
Well, I went to the doctor today to get this lump checked out, turns out its because I have a curved spine. It's nothing bad, just some people have it, it's very common he said. Getting to the point...

I get weighed and I'm 165 pounds. I can't help but think I'm overweight now. I'm 20, 5'9 or 5'8. My dad now is 6'0, 60 and only weighs like 105 pounds, yet doctors say he's healthy.

Am I overweight?
There is a big difference between being "healthy" and being "overweight." You can be "overweight" and be "healthy," or you can be the right weight and be seriously unhealthy.

Your weight seems fine to me.

liloneinmymind

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
There is a big difference between being "healthy" and being "overweight." You can be "overweight" and be "healthy," or you can be the right weight and be seriously unhealthy.

Your weight seems fine to me.
Now u got me worried about my self! >.<

M

maddi

My husband is 5'8" and weighs about 230. I would consider him a *bit* chubby cuz he's got a *bit* of a belly, but all around, he is also very muscluar and solid. I would not look at him in a crowd and say, "wow... he's overweight." I think he looks very healthy and perfect.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
First off... Congratulations! You are an average American.

Studies have shown that the typical American could stand to lose between 10 and 25 pounds. It all stems from our love of fast food and snacking. We get a greaseburger for lunch instead of a salad, we drink sodas instead of water... it all packs on the pounds.

Personally... I'm 5'7" and 170lbs. I also have a curved spine... it pushes my stomach out and makes me look fatter than I really am. I have a 34" waist... but I get my pants in size 36 so I can fit diapers under them. I know I'm a bit overweight... mainly thanks to greaseburgers, pizza, and my favorite beer. I want to be back around 150... where I was in high school. I am physically active for a large portion of each day b/c of my job... so I'm pretty fit, I just carry more around the middle.

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
I know i'm alittle over weight i'm 6'0 and 200 pounds. I know i'm fat but then I look around and see teens that that stumics that are 3x the size of mine so I think i'm doing ok.

Verscha

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Tell you what, screw pounds and kilos and BMI and all that stuff. Do your clothes still fit you okay?

I'm not exactly the lightest person ever, but I still wear clothes I bought when I was 13, so I really don't worry about it too much.

Bryce

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I was 185 at one point and somehow lost 20 pounds to where I'm at now. Still have no clue how I did it either. I'm not active period unless you call sitting at a computer 15 hours a day active, but I'm not weak either. Everyone I meet says I'm muscular, but I can't tell it myself so I don't know I guess I'll just stay where I am. If I haven't lost/gained any weight in the 5 years I've been eating out at restaurants then I don't know.

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
If you're 20 years old right now, your years of putting on the pounds are still ahead of you. Especially when you're not active and eat out most of the time (depends on what you eat in restaurants, but in general, people eat to much there because they paid for it and will eat all they can get no matter what).

So, as a long time perspective, I'd advice you to start a routine of exercising and being more active. It'll benefit you in the long run because
(1) you'll get used to regular exercise, which will provide you with a way to lose weight if you have/want to
(2) the exercise itself burns calories and thus allows you to either lose weight or put on less weight
(3) the exercise strengthen your muscles which will allow you to remain physically active up to an old age while other people will need walking canes or wheelchairs
(4) helps with your health.

Peachy

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Does it matter? If you have a problem with your weight, then try to lose it...It's best not asking people if they think you are overweight, because some might be saying no, just because you asked them, while they might mean yes. I'm about 6' and weigh about 180, so I wouldn't say I'm overweight...I could be a bit lighter though, but it's not that bad

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I'm 5'4" and weigh 110, I was severly overweight when I was 18, I was 260 lbs, and after inventing my own diet a year later I was 130 lbs.

I have struggeled with my weight all of my life, and the lighter I am the better I feel about myself, by the way the highest weight I was after loosing all my weight was between 125 to 148 and I stayed around that weight most of my life.

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
What do you mean by "lump"? You mean a pooch belly? I'm 5'8", 155 pounds, excercise for an hour and a half every day, 6% body fat, six pack, and I my stomach still sticks out a bit more than normal. Guess it's just the way my body was designed.

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Everyone is built different, some guys the gut sticks out further than the chest, on me it's just the oppisite my chest sticks out, I look like I lifted weights, but the only thing I did do was throw around heavy engine, parts when I was younger.

But even at 110 I still have the same shape I did when I was much heavyer.

Bryce

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
It's my rib cage that sticks out on one side. The doctor said it's caused by a curved spine. It's nothing bad he said and it's fairly common in some people.

ShyBaby

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
I read somewhere that people who are overweight in terms of BMI actually live longer than those who are 'normal'. The reasons are purely socio-economic, but it does illustrate the limitations of BMI as indicator of health.

Recent research indicates that waist size (specifically, the largest measurement around the abdomen) is a much more important factor for health than overall weight - the guidelines vary depending on who you ask, but if you're over 39", you should think about doing something about it. Intra-abdominal fat is actually the problem here - it is a major risk factor for diabetes and liver disease. A large waistline tends to indicate its presence.

D

daria7483

My dad now is 6'0, 60 and only weighs like 105 pounds, yet doctors say he's healthy.
Somehow I highly doubt that. If your dad were 6'0 and 105 he'd look like a skeleton. He probably wouldn't be able to stand up. I weighed 105 when I was 15 and 5'2, to give you an idea, and I was fairly thin then.

Anyway, the person to ask about whether you're overweight or your weight is something to be concerned about is your doctor. And if you decide to try to lose weight make sure not to do anything extreme.

Status
Not open for further replies.