Am I looking for something impossible, nice sporty car for like $5000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Try looking for a feiro. (The poorman's Ferrari)

Of course potianic stopped production on them back in like 1990. However they are fun little cars. Two seater and engie built in the back and cooling system up in the front.

TallestBabyEver

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
i drive a lexus SC300 that i found for $9600, however i was able to find one in great shape plus a few extra goodies. You can find an SC300 or SC400 in okay condition. They are basically poor man Supras as they share much in common with the MKIV Supra that everyone loves but don't have $20k for one used. The SC300 has a 2JZ non turbo while the SC400 has a V8. V8 doesn't have a ton of aftermarket support but has plenty of hidden potential. That's just my suggestion because i've had on for a few years. I think it's a pretty potent gem.

Other options would be a Civic, Prelude, 240sx, Miatas (basically underpowered go karts), MKIII Supras, Fox Body mustangs, Camaros...need i go on? You just need the time and the patience and something nice will land in your lap. I was patient with my search and found something that i will not let go for a long time.

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
If your still looking I have a very nice Miata for sale, I bought it last fall and fell in love with the car, so I went and bought a new one.

The car is originaly from southern California, it runs great looks great outside and inside, if your interested let me know I have 4300 invested in it, I put a new top and shocks on over the winter.

miatas001.jpg

The car is right it doesn't need a thing, I drive it a few times a week....Bee

TallestBabyEver

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
If your still looking I have a very nice Miata for sale, I bought it last fall and fell in love with the car, so I went and bought a new one.

The car is originaly from southern California, it runs great looks great outside and inside, if your interested let me know I have 4300 invested in it, I put a new top and shocks on over the winter.

miatas001.jpg

The car is right it doesn't need a thing, I drive it a few times a week....Bee

If i can only fit in the darn thing............:(

MistuhFox

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Other
Two words: Toyota Supra...you can probley find a good example of a late 80's Supra Turbo for that price, and yes probley even 100k miles or less.
Spend a couple hundred dollars on exhaust and wastegate, and you have near 300 hp, all a guy could ever want.

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Two words: Toyota Supra...you can probley find a good example of a late 80's Supra Turbo for that price, and yes probley even 100k miles or less.
Spend a couple hundred dollars on exhaust and wastegate, and you have near 300 hp, all a guy could ever want.

Yeah Hp is nice but when you need to use your car everyday HP isn't that important, what is, getting 30 MPG or more in the real world.

Gas may be cheaper than it was last summer, but you don't think the price is going to stay at 3 or even 4 bucks, it will be 5 bucks before you know it.

I have high HP cars they only come out once and a while, where these 2 mazdas see everyday use, I like those cheap fill ups, and I like 30+ MPG.

MistuhFox

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Other
Yeah Hp is nice but when you need to use your car everyday HP isn't that important, what is, getting 30 MPG or more in the real world.

Gas may be cheaper than it was last summer, but you don't think the price is going to stay at 3 or even 4 bucks, it will be 5 bucks before you know it.

I have high HP cars they only come out once and a while, where these 2 mazdas see everyday use, I like those cheap fill ups, and I like 30+ MPG.

he said a sporty car...read the posts before you talk. A turbo Supra, if kept tuned, will get very close to 30 mpg highway, and 18-20 city, as long as you stay out of boost for the most part. Turbos are incredibly efficient engines.

TallestBabyEver

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
he said a sporty car...read the posts before you talk. A turbo Supra, if kept tuned, will get very close to 30 mpg highway, and 18-20 city, as long as you stay out of boost for the most part. Turbos are incredibly efficient engines.

Indeed the older supras are potent cars, but it's really hard to find one stock and in half decent shape. Previous owners really beat on these cars and hard. Sure they put down almost 300hp but at some hefty costs. 3 words to look out for on these cars: Blown Head Gaskets. The turbo supras we're notorious for blowing these on a regular basis. I would like an older one, but not with the current engine in it.

Engine swap that sucker to a more modern engine (1JZ swap is simple, 2JZ bolts up but some wiring issues, etc.) then you have a reborn supra.

And don't diss ballucanb, he's been around cars for a while so he knows what he's talkin about. And trust me, there is no Turbo supra out there w/ 30 mpg. Trust me, i've been around em for a while now. ;)

MistuhFox

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Other
Indeed the older supras are potent cars, but it's really hard to find one stock and in half decent shape. Previous owners really beat on these cars and hard. Sure they put down almost 300hp but at some hefty costs. 3 words to look out for on these cars: Blown Head Gaskets. The turbo supras we're notorious for blowing these on a regular basis. I would like an older one, but not with the current engine in it.

Engine swap that sucker to a more modern engine (1JZ swap is simple, 2JZ bolts up but some wiring issues, etc.) then you have a reborn supra.

lol i know all too well about BHG, the repair for my Toyota Cressida (same engine as the supra) was upwards of 2000 dollers, tho i have a feeling i thourougly worked over the engine lol, as it needed a fair amount of machining work. If you get a good Turbo Supra, as long as you keep the stock turbo, and dont overboost it all the time, jus retorque the head-bolts to 72 lb-ft (instead of the faulty 50-odd factory spec) and they will hold together reasonably...another thing is yes an engine swap, but they will easily cost you as much as the purchase price of the car, if not more, as the chassis itself has to be modded. Not quite a weekend drop-in for swaps :p

EDIT: sorry for dissing bullucanb, lol
and idk it puzzles me that my Cressida, which has a racing differential (geared lower then stock for better acceleration) gets 24 mpg highway, so idk why a stock geared(lower rpm) supra wouldnt get better off boost...i know a fellow Cressida owner with the stock diff who gets 30 mpg using high-test, on a good day (so he claims)

not to mention most Turbo cars require Higher octane petrol ...right?

i would in all honesty use higher octane, tho consider that our gas (octane rating or not) is far better then it was in 1990 :p

you guys might have guessed, im a Toyota fiend lol

(sorry for double posting)

Last edited by a moderator:

NEJay

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
'99 Eclipse

fun car and should be around that price range

The '99 Eclipse is a Dodge Stratus clone and has the build quality to match. Plus, it's a front-drive economy car. Leasing a new Focus for $120/month would be more exciting, without the oil sludging issues and electrical nightmares.

A '98 or older DSM (Eclipse/Laser/Talon) turbo would be a better buy, even with the crankwalk issues... And a 1G DSM in good condition would be even better.

The problem with these cars is that some regular maintenance parts are NLA, and can be hard to find (and $$$ if you can find them). Plus, the Supra (and 300ZX, consciously omitted from my prior list) are notoriously difficult to work on.

Cars like the Miata, RX7, and 240SX still have most of their parts still in production, and have a huge aftermarket as well. They're also much cheaper to insure than a Supra, and easier to work on (and I'll probably be shot down about that on the RX7, but they really are... I rebuilt a rotary in a weekend with no prior experience... Much easier than a piston engine).

not to mention most Turbo cars require Higher octane petrol ...right?

Not necessarily. Any modern (read: mid '80s or later) turbocharged engine has a knock sensor, and the computer will retard the timing to prevent detonation while using lower octane fuel. Many turbo cars in the OP's price range "recommend" 91-93 octane, but do not require it. Heck, I've been running a 300+ HP GTI on 87 octane for 5+ years with no ill effects. If I head to the track, I'll splurge for race gas.

MistuhFox

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Other
The problem with these cars is that some regular maintenance parts are NLA, and can be hard to find (and $$$ if you can find them). Plus, the Supra (and 300ZX, consciously omitted from my prior list) are notoriously difficult to work on.

My Cressida is easy to work on, and is virtually identical to the supra o_O

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I've got a Beretta GTZ... 180hp... 5-speed... loud exhaust... it's pretty sporty. Though it's got 120,xxx... still going strong. I paid $2000 for it.

bobbyjeff

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
A '98 or older DSM (Eclipse/Laser/Talon) turbo would be a better buy, even with the crankwalk issues... And a 1G DSM in good condition would be even better.

Ugh... /shudders at the nightmares of DSM's. I've spent just about every day since I was old enough to get into cars working on them in some capacity. Unless you have a very solid ability to do your own labor, most DSM's are just too much trouble.

Cars like the Miata, RX7, and 240SX still have most of their parts still in production, and have a huge aftermarket as well. They're also much cheaper to insure than a Supra, and easier to work on (and I'll probably be shot down about that on the RX7, but they really are... I rebuilt a rotary in a weekend with no prior experience... Much easier than a piston engine).

Wankel was a genius. Too bad the materials science guys could never make good enough material for the apex seals. Rotary's are a little scary to the uninitiated, but so are pancake motors and Suby's still make me hot.

Not necessarily. Any modern (read: mid '80s or later) turbocharged engine has a knock sensor, and the computer will retard the timing to prevent detonation while using lower octane fuel. Many turbo cars in the OP's price range "recommend" 91-93 octane, but do not require it. Heck, I've been running a 300+ HP GTI on 87 octane for 5+ years with no ill effects. If I head to the track, I'll splurge for race gas.

Oh that explains it...silly dubberz :biggrin: I knew I could sense a vortex troll in our midst.

All joking aside Jay makes some very good points. Old school yotas are neat creatures, and the newer ones can be insane monsters with the right build, but neither are very cheap or easy when it comes to maintenance. Unless performance is your goal, I would tend to steer you away from turbo applications in general. Yes they're efficient. Yes they can be reliable. Yes they can be cheap. Very few turbo cars fit anymore than one of those statements at any one time.

Fast, cheap, reliable; pick two.

I personally drive a car with a 2.5L motor that averages a only 18mpg on premium fuel, and according to my data logger gets a mere 2-3mpg on the race track. It is not cheap to keep running, it tends to be cantankerous, and the insurance is insane. For those reasons I also drive a 16 year old geo that gets 30mpg and cost me less to buy than I spend in one month of operational expenses for the first car.

Jeremiah

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Not impossible!

You are not asking for the impossible, just the highly unlikely. To get what you are wanting, you will have to either search very hard, get something that is not quite pristine, or both.

Good luck...

Instead of checking auto-trader or craigslist, put out a "wanted" add in the paper. Something will usually pop up somewhere closeby. I got my '98 Cavalier for 1500 in perfect condition complete with rebuilt engine.
Jeffy is correct. You will have do some searching to find a good car for such a price. I would check every possible option if I was tight on money and looking for a sporty car. Local papers are often a good source to find good deals on vehicles. My favorite is the free papers that advertise local items for sale.

Be careful with what car you purchase. Nothing sucks more than getting a nice vehicle that you cannot afford to own and operate. Insurance, fuel economy, and maintenance costs all contribute to how much you can afford to drive it.

As Jeffy said, "Good Luck"!

NEJay

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Oh that explains it...silly dubberz :biggrin: I knew I could sense a vortex troll in our midst.

:D

Car Lounge only. The MKwhatever forums turned into a poo-slinging match years ago. I am a regular at NASIOC (among others) as well, though. I'd also love to unload my MK4 piece of garbage... You want a cheap car? :)

I agree about the DSMs... I was only comparing to the Stratus/Sebring based Eclipse. I like the earlier gen cars (and the GVR4), but would never own one myself, that's for sure.

Role
  1. Private
Hmmm . . .

Dunno.

A Miata?
Thanks TONS.

I know Miatas as the first-generation cars. Sporty-looking, light as hell, looked a blast to drive ... and you say you can get one for $5K now?

Hmmm. This means I'm "old" now. :(

I assume that the SC2000 is the next-gen Miata. Brain-fart, that's a Honda.

In a related old-person-note: can you get a Civic del Sol for that price? I remember when they came out, the C&D guys were blown away by its design--you could have the top off and your hair wouldn't get messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.