Am I looking for something impossible, nice sporty car for like $5000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryce

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Am I looking for something impossible or what? I need a new car and I was thinking of getting a nice sports car or something sporty to fuel my speed addiction. Any car person here know if I'm trying to find something that isn't out there? It needs to be less than 100k miles, most likely around 80k miles because my parents and grandparents say anything over 100k miles that isn't a Honda is going to fall apart and not worth it. I really don't care, just want something that's faster than my '91 accord. :(

J

Jeffy

Good luck...

Instead of checking auto-trader or craigslist, put out a "wanted" add in the paper. Something will usually pop up somewhere closeby. I got my '98 Cavalier for 1500 in perfect condition complete with rebuilt engine.

fuctifano

Est. Contributor
Role
Am I looking for something impossible or what? I need a new car and I was thinking of getting a nice sports car or something sporty to fuel my speed addiction. Any car person here know if I'm trying to find something that isn't out there? It needs to be less than 100k miles, most likely around 80k miles because my parents and grandparents say anything over 100k miles that isn't a Honda is going to fall apart and not worth it. I really don't care, just want something that's faster than my '91 accord. :(

What's the point in speed if you have to follow speed limits?

PostTenebrasLux

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
I drive a Pontiac which, although it's not terribly 'sporty', is much better than its predecessor--a station wagon--and I got it for just under $8,000. It was really quite a deal for what I got. I recommend looking for something with lots of highway miles at a dealership in a very small town. (That's what worked for me...)

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Think it over for a while. The more you think about it, the more you realize that it's not really worth it, or your choices will narrow down.

bobbyjeff

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hmmm . . .

Dunno.

A Miata?

As silly as people think the miata's look, for $5,000 you'd be hard pressed to find a reliable used car that could chase it around a track for less money. Sure its not a drag monster, but they're hard to kill, get ok gas mileage, and they handle like a much more expensive machine.

Other things to look at would be late model Nissan 240sx or other cars in that class. Fast enough to be fun, but not enough to be unreliable. Just ask the DSM guys what that sentence means :p

LunaCat

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
"Faster" most often means greater acceleration which of course speed limits have nothing to do with.

I can't imagine a decent "sporty" car in the 5k range sorry. :( Good luck though.

bobbyjeff

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
You need to decide what kind of "speed" you want, and what application are you going to use it for. A rally car is built very differently than a drag car. A street "show'n'shine" type of car isn't even in the same ball park as a street racing machine. So forth and so on.

A

Asher

You might just have to go to a used car place, find a good car, and maybe fix it up. That's what I had to do with my Benz; got it for a few thousand (I think $3,000) and did total renovation on it that cost more than the car itself. If you're willing to spend a little more cash, it might not be a bad idea just to do that.

- Asher

MyLastWords

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
  2. Other
I'm not sure about anywhere else, but in Australia you need to spen at least 8 grand for anything decent. Anything you find around 5000 and is fast is going to be a bombed out version of whatever it was.

Actually if you can find a turbo mitsubishi starion, they're relatively quick for not much money. Quite old though. A mate of mine was looking into quick cars a while ago, and you could get a Starion, bog standard, for about 1500, and they were about 8 seconds 0 - 60 mph

*edit* I just checked wikipedia and "it was also marketed in North America as the Conquest under the Chrysler, Dodge, and Plymouth names"

Lowie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Carer
Miata, 240SX, RX-7, MR2. Thats all I could really figure out for $5000. They're all sporty cars, cheap to run, and if you ever want more power theres alot of aftermarket goodies available.

MyLastWords

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
  2. Other
Miata, 240SX, RX-7, MR2. Thats all I could really figure out for $5000. They're all sporty cars, cheap to run, and if you ever want more power theres alot of aftermarket goodies available.

:eek: If you can get those sort of cars for that price, then I say go for one of them. They're plenty fast enough, and lots of people do them up, which means lots of online support.

NEJay

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Miata, 240SX, RX-7, MR2.

Well said. All great examples... The NA (1st Gen) Miata can be found for well less than $5k, and is essentially the de-facto sports roadster in the US. It's also dead-reliable, cheap to insure, and is sanctioned by many race organizations that are dirt cheap to join. It's also very cheap to insure.

A Fox body Mustang (up to '93) can also be made very quick for very little money, but it takes some dedication to make them handle well. If your one "want" is to go really fast in a straight line, there is no better cheap used car out there... Period. They do have some caveats, though... They are getting very difficult to find in good shape, or unmodified, and they're also expensive to insure. The extra bits on the cars (things like the headlight switch, other electricals, A/C, etc.) are prone to failure as well.

A 240SX is a great car, but again... Very hard to find unmolested, and insane to insure. Same goes for Civics, Integras, and MR2s.

The RX7 is AMAZING to drive, in any iteration... But they are gas hogs, oil hogs, and the later turbo cars are notoriously unreliable. That said, nothing beats slamming into the rev-limiter at 9000 RPM with the rotary absolutely screaming. :)

If you're not afraid of turning your own wrenches, I'd also recommend the E30-generation BMW 3-series, the Mercedes 190E 2.3-16v, a VW Corrado VR6, an '88-91 Honda Prelude (if you can find one without a ton of rust), among others.

With a $5k budget, your options are really limitless. ;)

Because some of us like to have fun, and understand acceleration and handling as performance aspects. You don't have to go 100 miles an hour to have a little fun behind the wheel. There are also very cheap sanctioned events (many for free, too) that one can participate.

Just because you prefer to snooze along in your beige Camry at 10 under doesn't mean the rest of us can't have a little fun. To each their own. ;)

Rheeer

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Sissy
  3. Carer
...but why would you want anything else but a Honda?

I love my '06 Accord. :D

If you're working on a budget, of course you want to go with a Nissan, Honda or Toyota. American sports cars are often unreliable, and never good on fuel. [stupid American voice]But they make a neato vroom vroom noise![/stupid American voice]

Status
Not open for further replies.