alternative to diaper covers

GabeG30

I wear diapers due to Cerebral Palsy
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
hi,
I ordered my diapeers from northshorecare today and when browsing the website I looked at the diaper covers but when i pick the options size, color etc they are too expensive for me Is there an alternative i can use when wearing my diapers maybe regular underwear? I look forward to hearing from you thanks Gabe.

Not really a different option to a proper diaper covers leak catching and scent stopping abilities.
You'll just have to do a bit of shopping around if you want to find one in your price range that works for you.

Underwear will just keep the diaper a little more snug (possibly making the diaper more prone to leak), silence most diaper sounds and help support it when it begins to sag. But there's no leak protection with underwear other than the most minor of pinhole leaks and leg hole drips.

But, underwear over a diaper and a diaper cover over everything, underwear makes an ok leak absorber so there's hopefully no liquids pooling when you go to change. Just be careful because it can cause some bad chafing if you're doing a lot of moving and such.

Last edited:
Reactions: alwayz
Im using Tena cotton special underwear for getting a snugger fit. But at night i am using my Gary active pul pants. Not so warm and so far my bed has been dry.

Last edited:
diaper covers are a necessity. I look at wearing a diaper IS my underwear. I only wear cloth diapers and a PUL diaper cover over my diaper, without a cover I would be wet and embarrassed.

Reactions: Jim100
Jonnythepony said:
Not really a different option to a proper diaper covers leak catching and scent stopping abilities.
You'll just have to do a bit of shopping around if you want to find one in your price range that works for you.

Underwear will just keep the diaper a little more snug (possibly making the diaper more prone to leak), silence most diaper sounds and help support it when it begins to sag. But there's no leak protection with underwear other than the most minor of pinhole leaks and leg hole drips.

But, underwear over a diaper and a diaper cover over everything, underwear makes an ok leak absorber so there's hopefully no liquids pooling when you go to change. Just be careful because it can cause some bad chafing if you're doing a lot of moving and such.
Thanks for your help Jonny

smalbenet said:
Im using Tena cotton special underwear for getting a snugger fit. But at night i am using my Gary active pul pants. Not so warm and so far my bed has been dry.
Thanks for the help

Reactions: mrsandeberg
alwayz said:
diaper covers are a necessity. I look at wearing a diaper IS my underwear. I only wear cloth diapers and a PUL diaper cover over my diaper, without a cover I would be wet and embarrassed.
Thanks for the help.

If you don't resort to using a diaper cover - you are left with the situation of changing diapers as frequently as you wet -
this unless you know the volume dispensed and the absorbing properties of your diaper - you might get a second wetting
before changing.
Just avoid squeezing the wet diaper forcing out urine - that is where the beauty of the diaper cover comes into play.

You could also use a larger more absorbent diaper - but probably at an increased cost per diaper unit.
If your wetting is uncontrollable then the diaper cover is highly recommended especially for overnight wearing.

As usual consider your options to avoid unexpected accidents.

babylock1 said:
If you don't resort to using a diaper cover - you are left with the situation of changing diapers as frequently as you wet -
this unless you know the volume dispensed and the absorbing properties of your diaper - you might get a second wetting
before changing.
Just avoid squeezing the wet diaper forcing out urine - that is where the beauty of the diaper cover comes into play.

You could also use a larger more absorbent diaper - but probably at an increased cost per diaper unit.
If your wetting is uncontrollable then the diaper cover is highly recommended especially for overnight wearing.

As usual consider your options to avoid unexpected accidents.
Thanks for your help.

Do you mean with disposables? Diaper covers aren't necessary with disposables. If you want a more snug fit, you can wear boxer briefs or something similar over them. That being said, I do wear Dependeco PUL covers over my night-time Seni diapers because they will catch small leaks.

Spaz said:
Do you mean with disposables? Diaper covers aren't necessary with disposables. If you want a more snug fit, you can wear boxer briefs or something similar over them. That being said, I do wear Dependeco PUL covers over my night-time Seni diapers because they will catch small leaks.
Thanks for the help.

Haian from Amazon are my primary covers now, they stand up quite well and I’m very happy with them. My waist is about 34” and I wear size large with my cloth diapers but can get by with medium for my Abena M-4’s when I’m out. They’re white and have enclosed elastic to prevent wicking. They are $13.99 for 2 pants plus $3.99 for shipping. The charge is the same if you order 2 or 10 so I try to keep my cost down by ordering at least 8 pair at a time. They seem to do well being soaked in hot water with liquid hand soap with Aloe Vera, especially if rub the elastic areas to remove any body oils. This link will take you to the link for Haian Adult Incontinence Pull-on Plastic Pants 2 Pack.

(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QYH3N9T/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_wn9MDbZKD11NG)

The only diaper i Would recommend, are Gary active wear pul pants. Yes, they are a bit pricey 25$ a pair, but they last so long that they are the cheapest solution. Get two pairs and you diaper covers for years. The ones I bought three years ago, are still just as good as when I bought them.
Plastic pants will tear after 2-3 months, and have to be replaced.
And 8 pairs of haian pants are the same cost as for two Gary wear pants.

Reactions: mrsandeberg, alwayz and Jonnythepony
alwayz said:
I wear cloth with PUL panties too

Reactions: Jim100
Although I mainly wear disposables, I still use the adult version of Gerber pull-on plastic pants. And, if wearing a dress, a decorative diaper cover over it all, with a cute design and a little frill around the legs for cuteness. It's just good insurance to wear something to contain leaks...even with the best diaper taped/pinned on snugly. Clean-up is a drag!

I hadn’t noticed before but after checking the Amazon link that I referenced for Haian vinyl covers I realized that they offer them in colors for the first time at the same price as the white so I ordered 4 red and 4 blue. Hopefully they have the same construction and are of the same type of material as the white ones. They have offered prints and colors before but they were more expensive and of different materials and I found that the white ones were superior in my opinion.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Zeke said:
Haian from Amazon are my primary covers now, they stand up quite well and I’m very happy with them. My waist is about 34” and I wear size large with my cloth diapers but can get by with medium for my Abena M-4’s when I’m out. They’re white and have enclosed elastic to prevent wicking. They are $13.99 for 2 pants plus $3.99 for shipping. The charge is the same if you order 2 or 10 so I try to keep my cost down by ordering at least 8 pair at a time. They seem to do well being soaked in hot water with liquid hand soap with Aloe Vera, especially if rub the elastic areas to remove any body oils. This link will take you to the link for Haian Adult Incontinence Pull-on Plastic Pants 2 Pack.

(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QYH3N9T/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_wn9MDbZKD11NG)
Thanks for your help.

BobbiSueEllen said:
Although I mainly wear disposables, I still use the adult version of Gerber pull-on plastic pants. And, if wearing a dress, a decorative diaper cover over it all, with a cute design and a little frill around the legs for cuteness. It's just good insurance to wear something to contain leaks...even with the best diaper taped/pinned on snugly. Clean-up is a drag!
Thanks for your help.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Back