All the hype about “vintage diapers”

Labrador

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
This is all very interesting! I’ve seen mention of these before, but I don’t invest in anything beyond store-bought modern designs so I am an outsider here. A few Qs out of curiosity:
First it seems like older diapers like this would be somewhat rare and thus perhaps too sentimental to dispose of like modern designs? Or is it a “use ‘‘em or loose ‘em” philosophy?
Also, how on earth do you get these things? Do they just show up at Goodwill? Last, what constitutes as “vintage”?

Reactions: GoodniteLover219 and Jorelaxed
As a baby of the mid/late '60s...I wore Pampers half the time. These diapers were fanfold, all-white, embossed plastic, smelled extra-baby-sweet. And mine were the version without tapes, which came along in 1971 (too late for my bottom). As with others, the whiteness imprinted upon me; there were no colors, no patterns...just white. Nothing screamed "diaper" like a white diaper.

I'm still a vintage baby girl today: I love vintage big baby girl clothing, vintage binkies, vintage bottles, vintage shoes, vintage toys...and vintage all-white diapers. There is an exception: pink MegaMax diapers, because sometimes a baby girl's tender little bottom needs a lit-tle col-or... 🤭

I wear pink diapers when dressed in non-pink, for a color-break...but when I dress in pink, my diaper's white, like a proper '60s baby girl. However, fanfold diapers don't exist anymore so hourglass diapers it is.

Oh, I forget: much of the time I wear a cute, girly diaper cover anyway. 🤗🥰🤭🥳

(P.S. -- post #6,000! 🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳 )

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: PaddedRita, Straycatz and Jorelaxed
Back then, most diapers had a clean cut, form fitting sturdy design,
The plastic was thicker and they smelled oh so nice!!!!!
Combined with babypowder, they were very nice.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
So the higher quality or at least nostalgia makes the limited quantity and irreplaceability worth it?

Last edited:
  • Thinking
Reactions: Subtlerustle, BobbiSueEllen and Jorelaxed
The plastic backing and design were better, just the absorbency was not as good as todays modern diapers though.🙂
I just wish they could make a Six tape Attends with the Absorbency of a Trest or NRU

Last edited:
Reactions: theancientmariner, Deleted member 56273 and BobbiSueEllen
So in your guys's opinion what constitutes vintage? I just ordered some diapers from wearing clouds that have not been produced in over 4 years. I would consider them vintage in the abdl world.

• Thinking
"Vintage" in the ABDL world would be something along the lines of the footprint Rearz diapers, or large print Crinklz.
"Old School" would be the custom printed tape rolls to make your own printed landing zone.

Closest thing to vintage diapers from my babyhood would be ABU SDK 2 tab diapers.

Reactions: blaincorrous
Jorelaxed said:
The plastic backing and design were better, just the absorbency was not as good as todays modern diapers though.🙂
I just wish they could make a Six tape Attends with the Absorbency of a Trest or NRU
The six tape Attends have a certain shape and cut that is very appealing and hasn’t been duplicated since. There’s no question that modern abdl diapers are more absorbent and thick but those traits aren’t everything to some of us. The shape and cut help the fit and comfort exceed a bulky truck of a diaper that some seek. Then there’s the look of that fit. Going to go heterosexual male here but give me that six tape attends on the curves of a woman and that is hot af. I mean like lava.
I suspect I’m not alone given these go for up to 30 bucks a diaper on eBay
To the op about what makes something thing vintage I don’t have an answer specifically but in the case of diapers and their heyday it’s early 2000’s and prior.

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 56273, Jorelaxed and BobbiSueEllen
Subtlerustle said:
The six tape Attends have a certain shape and cut that is very appealing and hasn’t been duplicated since. There’s no question that modern abdl diapers are more absorbent and thick but those traits aren’t everything to some of us. The shape and cut help the fit and comfort exceed a bulky truck of a diaper that some seek. Then there’s the look of that fit. Going to go heterosexual male here but give me that six tape attends on the curves of a woman and that is hot af. I mean like lava.
I suspect I’m not alone given these go for up to 30 bucks a diaper on eBay
To the op about what makes something thing vintage I don’t have an answer specifically but in the case of diapers and their heyday it’s early 2000’s and prior.
The bags of 18 large size are scarce to find but the medium sized ones that contain 22 pieces sell like hotcakes!

attends with waistband-large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would pay a large amount of money for an unopened bag of Tena Slip from the late 90s, in the blue and white packaging. This at age 11 was when I first started wearing Tena slips. I have fond, very fond memories of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 56273 and BobbiSueEllen
BobbiSueEllen said:
mine were the version without tapes
You also wore the tabbed version with the elastics (you cut off) and refastenable tabs which came out in 1982!

s-l1600.jpg

• Love
These ones...in a bigger box:

5a99e6ab2d75f7d64fd8dc725a2af29c.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 56273 and bobbilly
I much prefer incontinence nappies than baby nappies. I like anything incontinence related.

• Thinking
bobbilly said:
I would pay a large amount of money for an unopened bag of Tena Slip from the late 90s, in the blue and white packaging. This at age 11 was when I first started wearing Tena slips. I have fond, very fond memories of them.
I tried them a decade back, they are garbage compared to the original Slipad from the Caducée era I wore as a schoolkid in the mid-1980s.

• Thinking
Thanks everyone for the great answers. The only answers that no one seems to have, and this may just be me being weird, but what about the fact that they are rare, old, and will never be recreated? I think I would be inclined to try to save them, though I admit having diapers on hand does make me want to use them.
Also, if they are that old, how do people keep finding them? Perhaps that’s the answer here, is that they aren’t really that rare?

• Thinking
I can personally admit this without a shadow of doubt- vintage has "always" been the best over what's current!

Especially if you take Goodnites in consideration.

I know I've said this time and time again, but Goodnites of today really do not hold up to what they had years ago.

The padding for example isn't as absorbent as those from years ago. They got rid of the "frill leg guards" for some reason and I believe it's because of that change that they do not hold or absorb more than the back when they did.

Honestly, the only nighttime diapers that continue to hold up tp me are Drynites from the UK. Not only do they retain the frill leg guards; but their absorbency (While not the best compared to those from a few years ago) still hold up quite well compared to today's Goodnites.

And while it's not as important as the work of the products, you can't deny the vintage printing on them also give definite nostalgia. Specifically the girl's.

With pink or purple, butterflies, fairies, ballerinas, etc. 🥰🥰🥰

• Thinking
I can agree that the print can definitively add to the experience. My favorites use a scarlet/Indigo/yellow cloud and stars pattern that I really like.
What do leg frills do? I had some overnight adult pull-ups that were kind of meh, but they had the frills.

Last edited:
  • Thinking
I have an obsession with things that were meant to be disposable, but somehow survived to the modern era. And it’s not just diapers. I’d be over the moon for a 1990 Ford Tempo that looks like it rolled off the showroom floor.

Reactions: Subtlerustle and BobbiSueEllen
Tungsten said:
I have an obsession with things that were meant to be disposable, but somehow survived to the modern era. And it’s not just diapers. I’d be over the moon for a 1990 Ford Tempo that looks like it rolled off the showroom floor.
I'm right with you. People think everything's disposable at whim; heck, over 3 years old? Trash it! Get a new one! Get with the trend!

What sickens me is how more and more people feel it's below their dignity to fly on a jetliner that's older than 5 years. They think jets that cost $100 million and up each should be traded away for the newest ones as quickly as possible. Little do they know there's not a big second-or third-world market for used jetliners...and new jetliners are routinely put in storage down at Mojave for that very reason.

People want new all the time...and they want it fast, they want it cheap and they want it now. "Bread and Circuses"...the brattification of western culture and its insidious catering to and appeasement. Not for me.

I live well on things nobody wants anymore: appliances, TV, cars...nobody wants them because they're old. I do. They all work well, all need a little work here and there...and they're way cheaper than new. And I don't owe anyone anything monthly to buy them. If it works, use it...take care of it. The end justifies the means.

Besides, it reduces waste in landfills. 🥳

Last edited:
Reactions: PaddedRita, KCA, Deleted member 56273 and 1 other person
Back