Alcoholism

Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnypuppy

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Help for an alcoholic's family members

Your mother is going to AA meetings and getting help (even though you can't see any progress). Just being with others trying to kick the habit is helpful, and when she hits the point of understanding that she needs to stop, the others in the group will be there to support her.

You and your family members can be helped too, by groups loosely affiliated with AA. Look into groups called AlAnon and AlaTeen, which offer support and guidance for family members. They will be very helpful in your understanding of your mother's disease and its progress, and they will be able to steer you in the direction of offering her the help she needs when she knows she needs it.

Remember that a recovering alcoholic is never cured, and is sober one day at a time.

I wish you luck, and we know you have the strength to get beyond the immediate problems and see it through to the end. As others have said, we are here to support you as you need it. But DO look into the groups I mentioned, because they are local and can give immediate support.

Rissy

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
But isn't it just that Daria? A chemical addiction...?
I mean it's nothing wrong with calling that sort of thing a disease but then what isn't a disease? According to the context of science... or atleast psychology and psychiatry... Things that boring typical people aren't known to do is documented to be a disorder or disease of some sort. And then when they become more accepted, they're aren't as serious anymore and can just disappear from the DSM... I mean if it was serious... faith in religion would be called a disorder... but it's not because it's accepted...
Of course alcoholism is a chemical thing, but in the context of science... thinking is a chemical thing and really all people are doing is discriminating against minority brain chemistries. Although with the case of alcoholism, it's serves as an excuse for alcoholics... "I can't help drinking... it's a disease..." which is much like "I can't help being a delinquent... I have ADHD"...
People with drinking problems need to admit up to it... None of the "It's not your fault" crap. It is their fault... or atleast their weakness and they need to make the conscious effort to change. They could do with some help... sure... but that's about support.

It has to be realised though, that support means nothing unless a person wants to change... You need to make alcoholic realise what they're doing is wrong and when they're willing to put in the effort you need to help them make the change.
A scapegoat only helps people live with themselves... it doesn't help them to change.

Was AA the group that has a very christian focus to it and is about telling people it's not there fault, telling them pray to god to help them? Because that group is stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.