Ahoy there... a wiki?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
I still plan to bring back the gallery, links, and downloads sections of the site.

However, I have also wanted to bring in a Wiki for a long time.

A wiki is a website that anyone (registered with this forum) can edit.

The idea of using a wiki on this site is that we could write up FAQs, articles, HOWTOs etc there. That would make it easy for newbies to find all the information they need.

On the old site, I had to manually update this information under the "FAQ" tab of the forums, which was slow and cumbersome.

On a wiki, any community member could update the content and make sure that the articles gave really good advice.

The only problem is that getting the wiki integration done would probably cost anywhere from $50 to $100 US Dollars, and I'm not sure people would really use the wiki.

Please post here if you'd UPLOAD content (like FAQs on how to get diapers, how to come out to your family, etc) to the Wiki.

Jakethefox

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy, , Carer
I would totally upload stuff, like reasons to and not use enemas an' stuff, and like a diaper-review section ^^

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Actually, I had the same idea awhile ago for the exact reasons. For making FAQs and making it easy for us to keep upto date etc...

I wasn't going to ask since you were still are waiting for the recovery results. Is the integration really nesesarry? I am sure your could just download the Wiki software instelf and set it up so only approaved registered users can edit the articals? Its what I would of proberbly done. As not every one would want to edit it anyway, and still stops the unwatned peeps/vandals destroying it.

Maybe leaving the comment sections for anyone to say stuff. So they can suggest ammendments, but still can't touch the artical itself.

Otherwsie how the wiki is managed is upto you really.

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I think a wiki would be cool. If you don't want to spend the money on buying one that is integrated with vbulletin, you could always use a free one like mediawiki.

EDIT:

Not that many would care but it would rock if we could update the wiki using WikipediaFS.

Last edited:
Role
Diaper Lover
FAQ should be links to stickies, that would eliminate lots of our RAQ repeatedly asked q's.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
Wiki might curtail RAQ - repeatedly asked questions. Often in the old forums a popular question would appear in a thread, and when it was thoroughly talked over, it would disappear... Only to be revived in a new thread a few months later with the influx of new members with old issues. It could be a good place to have product descriptions & opinions & links. Not to mention things of historical interest, which are less well suited to being in threads, not only because threads get buried when not added to, but because one can't search for something as easily if one doesn't know it exists.

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
Here are some articles that I saved from the old site, if they are useful for the wiki: (broken link)

Edit: 100th post! :p

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
I seriously need other people to help me with porting all that content from the old site to the new wiki. While I could do it all myself, it would take me a long time if I was the only one doing it. I also want to make sure that other people read/edit it, both to catch any mistakes or out-of-date info, and also to provide a second opinion.

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Will there be the possibility to add photos? I am still new to how wikimedia works. But by the looks of things it is disabled.

Just that it may help the newbies, typically the younger ones describe certain things. E.g. Include furry fan art on the furry section.

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
Ummm...I tried to post some stuff to the Wiki...maybe I missed something...anyway...I put my 'articles' in the Diaper Talk section of the forum, but they could as easily be put in the wiki...if someone could tell me how to add new articles to it!

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Ummm...I tried to post some stuff to the Wiki...maybe I missed something...anyway...I put my 'articles' in the Diaper Talk section of the forum, but they could as easily be put in the wiki...if someone could tell me how to add new articles to it!
*Internets is up*

Goto the wiki like you normally would. int he search bar on the left put in the title of the artical. E.G. "How to hide diapers". Click go. Then if no artical with that name exists. the first line would say

There is no page titled "How to hide diapers". You can create this page.
Click on "create this page". Then you'll get to a textbox to copy and paste your artical. Press Show preview to see if it looks right. If so, click save page.

And walla! Its up! I am not too sure if there is an easier way, but that is how I'd do it.

EDIT: I'll happly add them for if you wish. But if you want you can find out how to do it yourself and learn something new. Just post which topics you want up.

Last edited:

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
I don't want to edit an already existing page (or a page that has a title already existing without content)...I want to create a totally NEW article.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
ayanna said:
I don't want to edit an already existing page (or a page that has a title already existing without content)...I want to create a totally NEW article.
http://www.adisc.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page said:
  • To create a new link, simply enclose the name of the page you wish to link to inside square brackets ("[" and "]") on the text of any existing page. Once saved, it will turn into a link. You can check that you have done it correctly using the "Show Preview" button after editing the new link into the page.
  • To create a new page, edit an existing page, adding a link to the page you want to create. Once saved, it will produce a RED link, as the new page doesn't exist yet. Clicking on the red link, however, will allow you to create the page.
:)

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
Anyone (even guests and search engines) can view any wiki page.
The reasons for this are twofold :
(1) We *want* the wiki to be found by Google. Not only will it help people find the advice therein (making it useful to more people) but it will also encourage more new people to sign up here. As the advice is geared towards teens and young AB/DL/IC people... we should attract mostly those types.
(2) The wiki is intended as a knowledge base, a way for users to write/post articles in an easy way. Given that, it doesn't really make sense to restrict access to it much.

Editing, however, is restricted to people with an account on the forums. The reason for this is to prevent spambots attacking the wiki.
It is also a convenience thing... so that we can easily recognize people on the wiki by their forum name.

In future, I would like to:
* change the username links from User:XXXXXX into links to that user's forum profile.
* block search engines from saving copies of page histories, so that information deleted from the wiki can't be seen on the web

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
I can't seem to upload images. Has that just not been implemented yet or am I just not allowed to upload images? Also, is it okay that I made an article about myself? :p

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
I can't seem to upload images. Has that just not been implemented yet or am I just not allowed to upload images? Also, is it okay that I made an article about myself? :p
Image uploading should be fixed now. Try again and it should work.

Yes, you can make an article about yourself if you want, but if you do, it should be at "User:point Blanch" (your user page).

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
w00t!!

Not only did I (finally) figure out how to add to the Wiki...I even figured out how to put the images in! YAY ME! :-D

Soooooo...now all of my 'articles' that are in the 'diaper talk' section of the forum can be found in the 'Articles' section of the wiki. :-D (will save hunting for how to make diapers, diaper doublers, diaper liners, baby wipes, rash creams and info on diaper rash!)

Status
Not open for further replies.