Ahhhhhh... Calvin and Hobbes!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildThing121675

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Carer
I hit the jackpot Friday. I spent over 20 bucks on used Calvin and Hobbes books, I bought home six of them. I loved Calvin and Hobbes when it was on it's run from 1985-1996. That strip is one that is for the ages.

Many here have probably never heard of Calvin and Hobbes. Basically Calvin was a 6-year-old who's best friend was a stuffed tiger, who when adults were not around, would become a real tiger. It was funny. It was priceless, and I am glad this is my biggest score of the year.

WildThing121675

Nexeon

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I was a big fan of calvin and hobbes, and garfield comic books when I was growing up. I have a lot of the calvin and hobbes/garfield comic books that I collected over the years that I still occasionally read.

the0silent0alchemist

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
ooh eyah you DID hit the jackpot, calvin and hobbs were the reason i picked up the morning paper as often as i did

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
It was a great comic strip. Probably the best.

Here's the very last Calvin and Hobbes strip Waterson ever wrote:

Mandy

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
awww i love calvin and hobbes but i am HUGE peanuts fan linus was always my favorite :]

skinnypuppy

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I loved Calvin & Hobbes, and was so sorry to see it go away. As you say, though, there are still all those anthologies floating around, and the messages are still fresh today.

Congrats on your find; enjoy !!!

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I remember that...I remember reading it in the morning with my dad...I never found them funny though, but I liked them...

Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer
Nobody hit the mark like Bill Watterson. The way he drew Calvin... those little 'dinner-bun' shoes, and the way he let Calvin use adult words (geez, that kid had a vocabulary!) and ideas, yet keep his childish views.

In a way, Calvin seems like an AR victim, that way; like an adult who has been regressed to a 6-year-old, retaining all his intelligence, but none of his maturity.

I like Calvin and Hobbes in the same way I DON'T like Garfield... Garfield is the Walmart of comics. It is drawn to appeal to the largest audience possible, and its author goes to work in a massive office building, the 'home office' of Garfield, and he controls an empire of marketing. Bill, the author of Calvin and Hobbes, by contrast, never, ever allowed marketing of his product except the anthologies; any stickers etc. you see of calvin pissing on things, etc, are made by unlicenced manufacturers, and Bill gets nothing for it.

Jewbacca

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
I always loved Scientific Progress Goes "Boink," the Transmorgrifier was amazing.
I always hated those pictures of Calvin taking a leak on things, I always thought that the manufacturers completely ruined something perfect.
On another note, Bill Waterson was almost a graduation speaker at my school, almost.

G

gamebaby

i allways loved calvn and hobbs. wish they made more tho.........

Allanon

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I've got all the books, I want to get the hardback set but it's a tad expensive.

The best comic series ever written, anybody with a different opinion is wrong :p.

The last one written nearly brings me to tears sometimes. Loading with a lot of different meanings there, particularly resonates with my life experiences.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I too have many of the Calvin and Hobbs books, softback. It's interesting that Calvin and Hobbs and Peanuts do reflect that inner child self, which I guess is why I so love them. I remember when Watterson stopped writing the series. It was because the syndicate wanted to merchandise C and H lunch boxes and coffee mugs, etc. and he wouldn't have any of it. It's a rare person that has integrity in the U.S.market place.

D

daria7483

I had some of the books before acquiring the hardback set as a Christmas present when it came out. Actually, while it looks nice on the coffee table and the paper quality is superior to the paperback books, it's kind of hard to curl up in bed with one of those hardback books. They're pretty heavy.

But I loved C&H, it was the first comic strip I ever followed. Calvin summed up the world so well so many times. There was one strip where he looked at a photo of himself at age 3 (he's 6 in the strips) and remarked about how happy he looked and how he thought he knew everything when he was 3, and now a lifetime of disappointments has left him bitter and cynical. There were also a couple of Sunday strips that showed him having horrible days where everything went wrong; in one, he remarked at the end "there are some days when even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help." I still think about that one when I'm having bad days.

tiger2

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
i love calvin and hobbes
it's still in syndication in the major Australian news papers....

BromeTeks

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
I luv that series. I owned every book at some point in time (we lost attack of the deranged killer mutant snow goons 3: )

WildThing121675

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Carer
The books I've snagged so far at the bookstore downtown are the following;

The Authoritative Calvin and Hobbes
The Days Are Just Packed
Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat
There's Treasure Everywhere
It's a Magical World

That's what I've been able to snag so far, and I plan on when I get paid again at work to find more if possible. Calvin and Hobbes RULE. I am even going to buy Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat for my boss if they have it. He told me he lost his copy. Well, if a man signs your paychecks, you have to keep him happy. LOL.

Calvin and Hobbes will ALWAYS put a smile on my face. Whenever I read one of the books I have, I can't help but cracking up. Calvin and Hobbes always make me laugh and was one reason I always stole the paper from my dad some mornings. LOL.

WildThing121675

D

daria7483

For any C&H fans, I'd recommend the C&H 10-year anniversary book if you can find it. It's a collection of some of the best strips and also has lots of commentary and background info from Bill Watterson himself.

Takkun

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
I have a Calvin and Hobbes book, called 'It's a Magical World'. I love it. I saw it at a thrift store for a dollar, and all the books were 70 or 90% of, and it was 18 cents or something. = D

I also have the largest Dennis the Menace book, 3 Far Side books, a small Family Circle one, and a few others.

I love how Calvin and Hobbes was so cute and light-heartened, but usually had a deeper meaning. Some were even sad, and made me cry though.

Tafshin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I used to have a crapload of Family Circus Books.

I wanna read more Calvin in Hobbes.

Jackpot has been confirmed, good sir xD

Status
Not open for further replies.