Affordable Daytime Diaper Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bambinod said:
The Molicare Super (not super plus) were the only thin diapers in the group. ALL the others were about the same thickness, MS about half that. So I tried them first.

These are hybrid diapers, with cloth on the sides and plastic in the middle, they lookvery similar to the tena slip maxi cloth sided. (quite possibly the same diaper...) But they have the same issues, the tapes do NOT stick to the cloth, so they have to make it to the plastic. And for me, the lower tapes can't make it to plastic, so they lasted about 5 minutes yesterday. and by 11am one of the sides had also popped, so I just bailed out into another diaper I keep in case I need a change.

Today I tried the large, and those are very promising. I don't usually care for clothlike, but these held up well, much better than the tena. The material did stretch a bit but not bad, and all four tapes stayed put. Wasn't too bulky, but I had problems keeping it in a convenient "W" for daytime dry wear. They were pretty destroyed (clumped) by the time I got home but I'll give them a passing grade for daytime wear.

2 down 9 to go. But all of those others are much thicker so I don't know if they're going to work out at all.

ugh. that sucks. hopefully at least one of the others have passing marks. keep us updated :D

I think all of us IC ( and anybody who will wear and use some cheap insurance diapers to help out) need to get all of the inferior insurance diapers used loaded in dump trucks, driven and dumped on some insurance carriers lawn in protest of the number of changes we have to endure per day, it might get the point across that better diapers =better care all together, realistically if insurance companies got together and "speced" a diaper to have a certain absorbency and such to a standard and had one company make them, as the insurance option we all would have access to good dependable diapers and probably at a lower cost to insurance ( which is what they want ), I don't really care what I put on for daily use ( when I want to play I use something I choose and pay for) so why has no one set a standard performance level in a daily diaper? Or established a standard for overnight use?. We would all be better served by creation of a standard level of protection that needs to be provided for day and night use, we are all different yes with different bladders and bowels but for the most part we are all really undeserved by the mishmash of approved diapers.why not set a standard minimum absorption a height of leakgards, elastic waistband etc etc... so it may not be a luxury diaper but it would work something in the range of between a Tranquility and Abena would be great for daily use, or even go a step further and allow flexible spending like they will pay for 3 cases of ATN'S Allow us to take that money and add our own to get a better product, yes it would lead to a downfall of many companies diaper divisions but those that stick around because they offer a good level of protection would "prevail " just a "brief" thought on affordable diapers we could "depend" on to get "1st quality" results with some "certainty" to live in peace and "tranquility" with our padded "wings".

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

MeTaLMaNN1983 said:
Please do the ID Slip PE next!
Please detail between med and lg.

By popular demand, I tried both the medium and large ID Slip Maxi PE. They don't have front/rear elastic, but are otherwise a very nice all-white diaper. The shell is soft, the tapes and the leak guards are good. The crotch immediately adopted and maintained a W while in jeans. The only problem I had with them is they were still more bulky than I'd like during the day I think the "non maxi" variation on these might be the best replacement currently available for the Waddler. I didn't get any of that though, and I don't know if XP Medical carries it, I'll have to do some research.

As for sizing, the mediums DO NOT fit me. They are several inches narrower, and also shorter. Shorter was a problem for me more than narrow. The uppers and lowers both would reach, but things were just too firmly held down below for my taste. They might work for you.

bambinod said:
As for sizing, the mediums DO NOT fit me. They are several inches narrower, and also shorter. Shorter was a problem for me more than narrow. The uppers and lowers both would reach, but things were just too firmly held down below for my taste. They might work for you.

What is your waist size if you don't mind me asking? Also is there a gap between the two sizes? I always seem to be stuck in the middle. The only mediums that I comfortably fit in would be Dry 24/7. I always seem to be swimming in most large sizes. Northshore has a huge gap in between. The larges literally seems like they would be am extra large.

Thank you for your review.

MeTaLMaNN1983 said:
What is your waist size if you don't mind me asking? Also is there a gap between the two sizes? I always seem to be stuck in the middle. The only mediums that I comfortably fit in would be Dry 24/7. I always seem to be swimming in most large sizes. Northshore has a huge gap in between. The larges literally seems like they would be am extra large.

I measure around 41-42" around my belt line, though diapers with elastic I sometimes size as far down as 38". Thats where the top tape goes around. I take a tailer's tape measure and run it around where my belt goes, the narrowest part of my hip.

To figure out tape positions on a diaper, I measure the width of the back, from tape to tape, with the diaper stretched a bit if it has rear elastic. Then I add the length of the two tapes. Say I get 35". I targetted the ID for 42", so that leaves 7". So on the front I figure out the centerline of the diaper and then mark left and right 3.5" (7 divided by 2) of the center line. That's where the tabs on the tapes will probably need to go.

In most cases I get it to within 1/2" of where it needs to be, so I don't wast the first diaper or two in trying different sizing. One I know the sizing, I can pretape the top and often also the bottom tapes before pulling my diaper up. This always makes a snug yet comfortable fit. Tapes are angled correctly, exactly the right spacing, and aren't taped over bunched up plastic so they lay down nice and flat. (perfect for overnight) Also makes them very fast to put on in the morning. I like to pretape my morning work diaper before bed so getting ready is fast. Powder, pull on, and pants. ;)

Updates?

still working through them - I got 11 samples, that's up to 33 diapers to test ;)

I've basically hit up all the ones with promise and are trying the others occasionally. Very few are thin enough to be very comfortable during the day. Most are wide and thick. SDK are thick but at least they're not wide in the crotch. This lot all have wide crotches and most are thick. That just plain makes for a wad of material pressed up hard in the crotch with pants on. Several simpy don't fit, despite their rated size.

With 33 diapers to test, that's an awefull lot of work to undertake maybe we should ask for a show of hands for an unpaid research assistant position so you don't get overworked or underpaid .

Tetra said:
With 33 diapers to test, that's an awefull lot of work to undertake

It's a burdon I'm willing to bear! ;)

xwi9qoH.png

For Science!

(really, is there anyone here that wouldn't take that job?)

I'm also looking for a good summer diaper as well, so this thread is awesome. I'm interested to know how the A+ level 3 goes, as that's on the list to try for me. I got a package of Tena Stretch Supers which I'd heard were great, and while the super-wide Velcro sticks excellently and the sag is minimal, they still have the same problem as other cloth-backed diapers - they seep moisture out the sides onto the backing. Makes for a no-so-fun time walking around, and surely would be easier for others to smell. Oh well, on to the next one!

bambinod said:
Would be nice if they had some sort of bundle discount for lots of samplers at once, like be able to get free shipping or reduce the per-sample cost at say 6 samplers.

I actually talked to Gary and here's an email conversation...

I've been wishing for a while for you guys to add an option under sample packs, to have a few bundles of sample packs. A light - medium pack, a heavy - maximum (overnight) and a bundle of everything pack. Maybe an underwear, booster and pad pack as well. To do that manually is really expensive. Perhaps fewer of each diaper could help ease the price. Just to sample everything would be $145 with shipping. I know there's around 20 different brands and options. It would be nice to be able to test them all to find that perfect one.

Response:

That is an interesting idea. We are one of only a few places that offer sample packs and there is quite honestly no money in it. About 70 to 80% of the final checkout price on a sample pack goes to shipping alone. I have contemplated discontinuing them altogether as the rate of customer return on samples is quite low and the cost to us in time and resources to package and inventory them is high. Perhaps reconfiguring them by type instead of by brand would reduce the number of samples to stock and give customers a better way to evaluate multiple products at once. I will give it some thought.

Thank you,
Gary Evans
XP Medical
www.xpmedical.com
[email protected]

Then I replied:

I am somewhat familiar with the cost of shipping being that shipping a pack vs a case is very similar in cost. I'm sure samples sent out isn't much less than that. I'll share that some time ago I purchased a sample pack from HDIS. They basically put together 20+ samples (2 of each) and put a label on each sample rather than individually in bags. Another idea I have is to include an info sheet and mark the sample (with a small sticker or by marker) by number and they can match the number to the info sheet to identify what that sample is. Then simply put a plastic bag in the box, fill it, and tie or tape the bag up to reduce the chance of moisture getting in. I think people would be more interested in purchasing these than purchasing individual samples. I know I'd like to try many different brands that you carry. When I see the price in check out, I get discouraged when I see $21 for 9 briefs. If you are paying 70-80% of cost to shipping. That means you're selling them for about $0.35-$0.55. You can sell the sample pack of 20 for about $30-$35 it would be up to $1.50 per sample. It would justify shipping cost that could be included in price($8.75 based upon per pack shipping cost seen in check out for a pack of Dry 24/7 shipping cost). Leaving you with $1.35 per sample after shipping at a $35 dollar rate.
Of course you can determine what works for you and your customers regarding costs. I do know it would decrease the cost greatly against you comparing it to what you eat on costs now. When you introduce a new product you can offer individual samples on them temporarily if desired.

I'll be waiting for his response to this message. I'm also hoping that this would go through. I'd love a better way to try different diapers.

I'll chime in again.

A couple of options that I could suggest that I have tried:

Tranquility ATN
Total Dry Plus
Abena Airplus 2 (cloth)
Tena Super (cloth)
Tena Slip Basic (I think they changed the design recently or have been discontinued) These were great when they were plastic backed.
Always Discrete maximum (cloth pullup)
Depends Tru fit (cloth pullup)

Sometimes I will use a male guard as a stuffer (do not use the sticky part), which increases capacity and/or wear time. After the first wetting, just pull the wet guard out and you basically have a dry diaper to continue wearing.

PlotTwist said:
I'm also looking for a good summer diaper as well, so this thread is awesome. I'm interested to know how the A+ level 3 goes, as that's on the list to try for me. I got a package of Tena Stretch Supers which I'd heard were great, and while the super-wide Velcro sticks excellently and the sag is minimal, they still have the same problem as other cloth-backed diapers - they seep moisture out the sides onto the backing. Makes for a no-so-fun time walking around, and surely would be easier for others to smell. Oh well, on to the next one!

The A+ lack some of the premuim features - they have no front or rear elastic, the breathable sheet between the plastic wings and the skin doesn't breathe well, and there are NO leak guards of any sort. Some find the lack of leak guards a problem for safety, but it's been my experience they wick so fast it's not usually an issue.

But they calso lump very badly when wet. So the A+3 and A+4 are best worn overnight or if durin the day, kept dry.

One thing I really like about them though is the shell is buttery smooth. The shell combines with the soft and flexible padding to create IMHO the softest feeling diaper available. Being amost all white (except for wetness indicator dot print along the centerline) combined with the feel and looks makes them very closely match up with what I remember of diapers from years ago.

I didn't really buy the A+ samples for testing, I was more interested in checking out the new Regular size's dimensions. Also the ones I have are the previous gen, with the single-use tapes. (I bought quite a few large 3's and 4's when they were on sale last year) The newer A+ have double tapes. The A+ have NO tape panel, and there's zero chance of peeling a sticky tape up off that soft plastic without tearing it.

having found NO better alternative for a daytime diaper with the disappearance of the regular waddler, I've gone ahead and ordered several cases of totaldry plus (not x-plus) from bambinodiapers.com. 4 cases of 72 for $208 shipped. ($0.72 per diaper!) They're very close to the waddler in design. They lack front/back elastic, and the capacity is a little lower, (and the appearance is more "medical" nature) but other than that I think they're based on the same design. (I think bambino's entire line, as well as the waddler/tykable and dcamore lines, are made using the same machine)

This price at bambinodiapers is a memorial day sale and is 20% below normal. I don't know how long it will last. I'd say stock up on them TODAY if you can. Bambino ships discretely.

The Total Dry Plus is a good daytime diaper, fit is great for me because the wings seem slightly longer than other diapers. I have several cases in my stock and use them for my 'at-home' daytime diaper. They hold one wetting easily, but will leak on the second, especially due to press-out.
I was attracted to the low price and good quantity for the cases.

I have found the Tranquility ATN to be far superior to the Total Dry Plus.
The ATNs are slightly more crinkly, but can easily hold 2-3 wettings without leak because the ATNs have a significantly higher content of SAP, so they get really squishy.

Yeah I switch hit between cloth and ATN'S for around town and wear Northshore Supremes for extended out of town travel.

ATN'S have certainly earned there reputation as the Cadillac of insurance paid for diapers, if you have never tried one with a Tranquility booster your in for a real treat adds nice plump Ness soft and even more absorbent for very little money and it does not have a glue strip so you can just reach in and pull it out at will,normally it just passes the wetness to the main diaper but you can also pretty much tell by weight when it's soaked.

I personally have three issues with ATN's:
1. no front or rear elastic
2. huge unpadded area in both front and back
3. comically short standing leak guards

since one reason I wear during the day is to "keep skin from rubbing", #3 alone is a deal-breaker for me.

TDP also fail on point 1, but get a pass on 2 and 3. (original waddlers of course nail all three and then some)

bleh that sucks. i'll just have to try a sample of TDP when i get the chance then. thanks for doing the task no one else would lol. FOR SCIENCE! xD

yeah I was really hoping not to have to go back to them, but at least I have something workable until something better turns up. Sucks though to have something that worked so much better and then to have to give it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back