Advice for new members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
I got a great suggestion today that there should be a wiki article for new ADISC users. It should cover the basics, such as the unwritten conventions we have, and tips on how to integrate well with the community.

I agree that such an article should exist, and that it should be written by the community itself.

With that in mind, I have added a link to this article at the bottom of the wiki main page, and invite you all to go there. Currently the article doesn't exist, but the first time someone clicks the link to it, enters some text and hits "Save Page", it will be created.

Once created, everyone here is welcome to edit it and add their tips.

My hope is that, with time, it will grow into a really good introduction that tells newbies everything that they need to know :)

Role
Private
I've started the article off with just a basic welcome and link to the "How to Make an Introduction" page.

Just copied a little bit from your post here Moo to get things rolling. Hope you don't mind. ;)

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
I'm trying to word it professionally.
This is going to be a little hard. As there is the problem of that everyone has their own writing style and at the moment there is not much constancy across the articles. I think it should be left alone, unless you feel a sentence or two could be phrased better.

Does anyone thing there should be some guidelines on the writing style of the articles. As there are many opinions and personal comments. But to an extent they make the article a better read and its not all serious with a live or die feeling if you don't get the facts correct.

But Nice to see the How to make an Introduction getting some use!

Role
Diaper Lover
I'm just trying to word the sections I added professionally, and I fixed a spelling error, I'll leave everyone else's parts alone.

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
Fixing spelling and grammar is fine, but for this article I'd make it as simple and friendly as possible.

Role
Private
Fixing spelling and grammar is fine, but for this article I'd make it as simple and friendly as possible.
Agreed. We should try to avoid a negative tone to the article.

Certainly, just like someone telling off a newbie on the Greetings forums, it's kind of off-putting reading an article about how they will get destroyed if they do/say something in particular. It's fair enough to tell them that they shouldn't do it, but I don't think going beyond that is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.