ADISC Mobile?

How much would you use it? Have in mind that every change to the site costs Moo both time and money.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZodiacPup

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
There are times I want to visit the Forum when I'm sad, have personal problems, or when I'm bored. However, I'm not always near a computer or I don't have a proper connection, that's when I want to use my phone, but it can get really expensive, and the site isn't displayed apropriately: I have to scroll a lot to get past the config links and get to the actual thread contents.

I know that with some phones like the iPhone and Blackberries you get web pages displayed as they were designed, however some browsers have difficulties showing most of the content present in a site, like Java, Flash and even some pictures. I don't think ADISC has either Flash or Java, however it does contain images, and using a very limited platform, like the Opera Browser for the Nintendo DS (Lite) can get messy.

I was thinking it would be nice to have an ADISC page designed for the ease of use browsing while on such limited platforms; that has little or no images/link bars both for a better display on those screens and a reduced cost while using cellular networks for data transfer.

However, have in mind that most of the times we use an actual computer to get access to the site, and that every change Moo makes to the site has a cost, both economic and time use, and there may be other improvements that could be made to the site that are maybe more important than implementing a mobile site. That's why I'm making this poll: to see if this is actually an ideathat would be used frequently or if this will only be used once or twice during the site's lifespan.

Please, be mature. As I had previously stated, every change Moo does to the site has a cost to him, and it will slow other improvements planned for the forum. Also give your opinion on that as this will help to make it better.

Hex

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Sissy
[font="Calibri,Arial"]A mobile version would be just a special theme. There are forum themes everywhere. So it wouldn't cost that much money. I've never used vB so I can't comment on the time aspect.

If there was a mobile version, it should be optional. I hate sites that send a crippled mobile version to all devices, even if that device can handle the original (Wiki is a bad culprit. Every few weeks I have to re-set it to the full version.[/font]

B

Butterfly Mage

About 80% of the time I use this site, it's from my Blackberry. So a mobile site would be great for me.

ZodiacPup

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
[font="Calibri,Arial"]A mobile version would be just a special theme. There are forum themes everywhere. So it wouldn't cost that much money. I've never used vB so I can't comment on the time aspect.

If there was a mobile version, it should be optional. I hate sites that send a crippled mobile version to all devices, even if that device can handle the original (Wiki is a bad culprit. Every few weeks I have to re-set it to the full version.[/font]

True. My cellphone requires me to log in every time. Maybe it would be a good idea to put a button under the User Name/Password bars that say "Use the mobile version" for those who want to.

RalieghFhang

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
  3. Carer
This would be very useful for me and my PSP.

With such low memory on a PSP, it's hard to navigate any pages, really.

Nam Repaid

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I visit almost dailey with my LG Dare on Verizon. I do not log on from my cellphone or post but I do like to check up on my faverite threads. I find ADISC just fine as it is for my mobile needs, in fact recently better than my old computer as my phone handled the secure change and my computer could not.

edit:
I voted "I would never use it." as it works great for me as it is without making some special mobile version.

Last edited:

adaffme149

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Other
I check ADISC all the time from my EnV2, and I know it would be EXTREMELY helpful if it weren't such that I spend 75-80% of my time scrolling through useless information and the like [e.g. the top links, user info on the side of a post [it gets shifted such that it appears above the post, producing generally 50% or more wasted space], all of the editing/full-feature options, etc]. I visit on an almost daily basis, when I don't have internet/would not want to access ADISC on the available network.

I would definitely be interested in helping to build a custom mobile version of the site. This would most likely be done, as previously stated, through themes.

What I wouuld want to do is, create an online setup for it on the computer, as in, a configuration page.

Allow the user to select, VIA computer/full-fledged access [i.e. a device that can support displaying the site as intended], various options, on how the site should be displayed to their mobile device.

The various options would go something as such:
  • Strip Forum Header
  • Strip Poster Information
  • Strip Quote
  • Strip Multi-Quote
  • Strip Avatar
  • Mobile Reply Mode [Allows you to post from a mobile phone that has troubles posting as the site is displayed now; when I try to post from my EnV2, the 'post' button is either cut off, or I get a 'this page has expired/connection reset; now refreshing and erasing everything you just wrote, enjoy! issue].
  • Barebones Mode [Just as it said, the site, but stripped down to the very minimum]
  • Barebones Mode; With Reply/Posting capabilities [Lets you reply, as opposed to read-only]

Another really cool but complex feature would be Text-To-Post. Have a number for ADISC, that a user can text. The user's cell phone will be registered from an option inside their account on the computer [but never displayed and kept completely confidential, away from everyone], so as to associate the cell phone number with the user, to tell users apart. The user can then include in the subject of the text, a "thread ID number", and then type what they wish to post in the body of the text. This would, I can imagine, be a real hassle to set up, but it would avoid all issues with inability to post. It would also be a hassle to switch between web and texting, every time you want to post, but would be good if you're like me, and only post one or two things whilst browsing, or need to make an important post quickly. One downside, though, would be that people might start assuming they can use 'txt speek' and talk lik dis wen dey post l8r kthx. Another issue is the cost of setting up something that would read text messages, and post them in the user's name accordingly. Either way, something to think about. =)

ZodiacPup

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
I check ADISC all the time from my EnV2, and I know it would be EXTREMELY helpful if it weren't such that I spend 75-80% of my time scrolling through useless information and the like [e.g. the top links, user info on the side of a post [it gets shifted such that it appears above the post, producing generally 50% or more wasted space], all of the editing/full-feature options, etc]. I visit on an almost daily basis, when I don't have internet/would not want to access ADISC on the available network.

yeah exactly the same is what happens to me, not only in my cellphone, but also in my NDS browser. I could switch to traditional view, but It would make the memory get full and unable to display the page.

Spiro910

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
I have to give kudos to Apple on this one.. mobile Safari is truely a great application (probably one of the best the iphone has). I browse ADISC on my iphone very now and then and it's smooth and all, but a streamlined version would come in handy :)

Hex

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Sissy
I have to give kudos to Apple on this one.. mobile Safari is truely a great application (probably one of the best the iphone has). I browse ADISC on my iphone very now and then and it's smooth and all, but a streamlined version would come in handy :)

[font="Calibri,Arial"]Yeah, I use my iPod Touch for around 50% of my adisc browsing. It's a bit hard to type on, and it hard crashes (need to restart the iPod) about once every couple of days, but it's still vastly superior to any other mobile browser as far as page rendering and usability.[/font]

adaffme149

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Other
[font="Calibri,Arial"]Yeah, I use my iPod Touch for around 50% of my adisc browsing. It's a bit hard to type on, and it hard crashes (need to restart the iPod) about once every couple of days, but it's still vastly superior to any other mobile browser as far as page rendering and usability.[/font]

Or, for just a little bit more, we could buy a device that kicks the iPod's ass, in all aspects and has (probably, no proof here folks) better battery life: a netbook. Pony up 80 more bucks, and you've got something that has a REAL OS [Linux anyone?], was made by a real computer company [ASUS or whichever else you get], and a real browser. Plus you get a real file system, can play real music formats, and can run 'real' apps. =) All the fun of an iPod, but with more features and usfullness [at least, IMO]. And it won't kill your eyes looking at that screen. =) Plus, it's not like you ever really /NEED/ to use the touchscreen, it's just a part of the whole toy aspect. =) But seriously, netbook browser [IE/Firefail/Opera/whatever, you can even make your own in VB, if using Windows] > iPod browser, I'd have to say.

ZodiacPup

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
Or, for just a little bit more, we could buy a device that kicks the iPod's ass, in all aspects and has (probably, no proof here folks) better battery life: a netbook. Pony up 80 more bucks, and you've got something that has a REAL OS [Linux anyone?], was made by a real computer company [ASUS or whichever else you get], and a real browser. Plus you get a real file system, can play real music formats, and can run 'real' apps. =) All the fun of an iPod, but with more features and usfullness [at least, IMO]. And it won't kill your eyes looking at that screen. =) Plus, it's not like you ever really /NEED/ to use the touchscreen, it's just a part of the whole toy aspect. =) But seriously, netbook browser [IE/Firefail/Opera/whatever, you can even make your own in VB, if using Windows] > iPod browser, I'd have to say.

I quite agree with you, however, it is not a discussion about wether which thing is better for browsing. We all know the answer, and if not, at least we have our favorite device. The question isn't what device you use to browse, no. The question is wether would you use or find useful an adisc page improved for mobile browsing.

I'm certainly a fan of Apple, but let's not turn this discussion into a fanboy ranting thread. I think there are a lot of tech forums out there where you can argue why X device is better/worse than any other.

Dude84

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
I would be very much in favour of this, although the suggestion isn't new; I use a SE w890i, which has a traditional "small screen"; the display of this site on it is, hideous.

EvaIlyxtra

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Other
  5. Private
I usually use my laptop to enter this site but otherwise it will be on my ipod touch. For me it would be a lot easier to use on there in mobile since it is all small.

adaffme149

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Other
I quite agree with you, however, it is not a discussion about wether which thing is better for browsing. We all know the answer, and if not, at least we have our favorite device. The question isn't what device you use to browse, no. The question is wether would you use or find useful an adisc page improved for mobile browsing.

I'm certainly a fan of Apple, but let's not turn this discussion into a fanboy ranting thread. I think there are a lot of tech forums out there where you can argue why X device is better/worse than any other.

True, sorry, good point. I did get a little off topic... I tend to forget what the thread is about at times whilst posting, bad habit. Either way, I think that a mobile version would definitely be a much-needed update for many of us users. =)

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
  1. Private
There will be a new, mobile-compatible version of the site after we upgrade to vB 4.0.
In the meantime, try this.

Status
Not open for further replies.