• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Adisc Mobile - Now with poll!

Do you often access the site from your phone, or would you if this was implemented?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyKat

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Incontinent, , Private
I just had no actual internet access for a few weeks there, but I was trying to use my cell phone to access this website.

The thing is, my cell phone didn't have enough memory to store the whole site, and a lot of it was cut off - not to mention the text was waaay too large. (and I have a newer phone too - I work for a cell phone company ;) :p :rolleyes:) And I think mobile websites work on port 8081 (or maybe thats just the main page for ringtones or whatever)

So like I was thinking, would there be a way we could set up like a compressed version of everything with really small fonts maybe for cell phone users who still want to be able to access adisc. Just an idea, but I wouldn't have got that limited access if I was able to actually post - I couldn't even see all the posts on a page most of the time before I ran out of memory! LOL. :rolleyes: :smile1:

Role
Private
Should probably add a poll asking how many people here would actually access this site via their mobile/cell phone, if circumstance is that there's no other possible, viable way to log on here (and yes, that does include not being able to access an internet cafe, or a wireless area in a library or school/university/college/elsewhere).

From my general observation, most people just seem to fade into non-existence when they don't have access to this site, not even worrying about visiting here... I suppose if there were enough demand for such a feature, then it might be seen as significant enough to put on a list of things-to-do. But I don't feel that's the case right now.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
PDA version (don't know what is different from the archive version but it seems that that is meant for it.)

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I don't know how many people would use this...Personally, I don't use my phone for any internet access except for instant messaging...It's just way too slow and crappy...I have gotten on with my iPod Touch though, and everything works just fine...It just takes a while to load

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
Hmmm...I don't use my mobile for accessing the internet except for the odd occasion when I've used it for messaging (yahoo/googletalk/msn). Well...I have accessed the mobile service provider's site a few times (for games and ringtones) but that's really about it. Oh 'n for email when I was waiting (impatiently) for some news from the Labour Relations Board (which I eventually got...on my mobile...and with good news!) Then again my mobile is a Blackberry. Maybe I'll give it a try 'n see what's what. If I do, I'll let you know my findings.

Then again, I'm left to wonder how someone is completely without internet service in this day and age. There are internet cafe's (cost money), and libraries (FREE), not to mention an over-abundance of 'wireless' hotspots in most cities.

BabyKat

Est. Contributor
Role
Then again, I'm left to wonder how someone is completely without internet service in this day and age. There are internet cafe's (cost money), and libraries (FREE), not to mention an over-abundance of 'wireless' hotspots in most cities.
Well, I don't have a laptop - only a tower computer. And I was supposed to transfer to a different provider, but they called me back after I made my order and had already cancelled with my current provider, to tell me they couldn't give me service :eek:. I don't know why - they gave me some excuse about my provider having cable rights in my area. (cable as in cable TV, not actual cables). So I called my current provider back, and by then they said there was no one available to re-install for a few weeks (this is after 1 week without internet by then already). I got them to squeeze me in today.

Oh and I don't know where you live, but my town is too poor to have an internet cafe, lol. :eek: :D We had this one coffee shop that let you use the internet for a certain amount of time if you bought something, but it closed up. Now there's nothing. And the library "reserves" the internet access for some reason. I tried a few times and they always told me that I wasn't part of something, even though I had a card....And since I don't have a laptop, or anything I could take with me, I'm stuck right where I am....

Thanks though for the sitemap links. BTW though, the links are fine from the cell, it's not that. It's just the problem of once you click on the link and it actually brings up a forum page - then there is just too much stuff in one page for it.

Corri

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Incontinent, Carer
I can say I REALLY want this addition. I use my phone to access the site frequently.

teddy564339

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
Ok...I know I'm pretty far off the AB end now. When I saw this thread title, I thought it was referring to a baby's mobile hanging over a crib. ;) I thought the thread was gonna be about creating mobile symbols for different members. Of course, when I read the thread, I realized how silly this was. ;)

Role
Private
Ok...I know I'm pretty far off the AB end now. When I saw this thread title, I thought it was referring to a baby's mobile hanging over a crib. ;) I thought the thread was gonna be about creating mobile symbols for different members. Of course, when I read the thread, I realized how silly this was. ;)
Oh Ron... :rolleyes:

S

Secret

It seems to work fine on my "BlackJack 1". Try and upgrade your memory by adding a micro SD card if you phone has that option then you can store more website info stuff or something IDK?

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
I voted "no". With my cheap cell phone plan, I'd pay like 2 Euros just to load one single page.

Peachy

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
I voted "no". With my cheap cell phone plan, I'd pay like 2 Euros just to load one single page.

Peachy
Can't you phone up the provider and ask them to have the whole day of unlimited Internet for like €2 credit? or at least you can do that here.

I was thinking, If your phone cannot display these pages I don't what will. My phone can handle these pages fairly well, it just can't handle too many pictures or java/flash. Its still 2 years old and is doing well.

As for getting an SD card. Usually phones memory is used also as file storage. So if you do get a card, move everything from the phone storage to the card. So all apps on the phone have more "ram".

If anything, I would like to see a "dial-up" or low bandwidth version. As it takes AGES for it to download + render on my phone. Yes, the battery also drops having to render allot of pages let alone allot of radio activity.

I usually hook my phone to my laptop anyway and browse on my laptop when a no net connection is available. As when I travel, I get ready in advance for these things. Including power outages.

i typically check email on my phone. IMAP FTW! or I look on wikipedia and use define:WORD on google.

LuvsGurl

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Other
Well I know I am not the more technological, though I do have internet access on my phone now, though am not able to pull up the site. I can do basic things like check weather, some news, and IM. Though i know these sites have been designed for moble use. Would I use the option if it was given, Yes. Though I do have to say that if would depend on the amount of work it would be to do so if I said yes we need it.
I would love the ability to be on away from home, though I do not know if this could possibly cause problems.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
I was supposed to transfer to a different provider, but they called me back after I made my order and had already cancelled with my current provider, to tell me they couldn't give me service :eek:. I don't know why - they gave me some excuse about my provider having cable rights in my area. (cable as in cable TV, not actual cables).
I'm glad to see that you aren't the only one who is running into that problem. LG & I had the same issue when we tried to ditch the regular phone co. and get DSL through windstream. Apparently even though windstream's huge headquarters is like 2 miles down the road from us, they don't actually have the legal rights to use the phone lines to broadcast their signal in our area... so we were stuck with what we had.

Companies have to buy rights to use the phone/TV lines from the company that originally installed the hardware... and those companies don't always want to sell to a competitor. It's almost a monopoly.

mizzycub

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I really don't use my mobile enough for anything for it to be worth it. £10 credit will last me months, and I never use my phone on the internet. For me it just isn't a big thing. However, it looks quite easy to implement so if enough people are interested I think it would be a good idea.

BabyKat

Est. Contributor
Role
Poll added.
Thanks!

It seems to work fine on my "BlackJack 1". Try and upgrade your memory by adding a micro SD card if you phone has that option then you can store more website info stuff or something IDK?
That only actually helps for space to save stuff, not to view stuff - 2 different kinds of memory.

Can't you phone up the provider and ask them to have the whole day of unlimited Internet for like €2 credit? or at least you can do that here.
With my cell phone provider, I can get unlimited web browsing per month (no downloads) for $7 CAN, which is really cheap because it's $0.05/page otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.