ADISC Book Circle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Well, here's an idea for all you readers out there!

There is something specifically endearing about being able to not only read a good book, but then discuss it with friends and comaptriots, to develop a little more insight.

What would you guys think of starting a reader's thread, specifically organized so that everybody could choose a book and read it and discuss? It might be of assistance to some of you guys still in school, and it might just be fun and thought-expanding for those who just want to read and discuss!

I imagine the idea of starting it slow. Everybody who decides to be a part chooses a book they would like to read, and then a list is compiled and posted here so that way we can pick an order in which to read them. We can decide on how long before it should be done (and I'm talking like, three weeks or a month per book, because I know everybody is busy).

It might expand our literary interests! What do you guys say? Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated, too!

Vladimir

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I support this idea, but I hope that enough people will participate .-.

And I haven't read A LOT of English books...

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Honestly, even if they're non-English books, scoring translation-versions of them will also broaden everybody's horizons! I'm hoping people participate too -- it might be fun!

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Such a wonderful book! I would love to read it again! If you want to take part, Fallen, then I think that's a good one to throw on the consideration list! I think I'd like to add White Oleander on the list, as I've never read it and would be really interested in doing so!

Anybody else up for offering up a suggestion? A few more and we can begin piecing together a thoughtful list!

Woollyneck

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur, Other
How about Setting Free the Bears, by John Irving? My dad recommended the book to me, and my mom really likes John Irving, so I'd really like to check this one out.

I'd really like to read Fahrenheit 451, too. I've been thinking about it for a while, but I haven't yet gotten to it.

Last edited:

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I've never heard of that book, Woollyneck, so that sounds damned good to me! I think that sounds like a great addition.

Ah, Brave New World! What a great book -- I definitely think that's a book that everybody should read in their lifetime. Huxley was such a strange human being, but that story had so much to say!

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
How about The Ugly Little Boy by Isaac Asimov & Robert Silverberg? It's an excellent read, and expands exponentially on the original short story by Asimov (for anyone who's read the short story but not the novel).

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Personally, I've never read either, so that sounds like it would be a great option too! It's so interesting to see what everybody's reading interests are!

Role
Diaper Lover
I just went and bought "Lord of the Flies", can't believe I haven't read it already. Other than that "1984" by Orwell and "To Kill a Mockingbird" are the best that I've read.

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
I just went and bought "Lord of the Flies", can't believe I haven't read it already. Other than that "1984" by Orwell and "To Kill a Mockingbird" are the best that I've read.

I've read all three of those books when I was at school. I got in trouble for reading Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird in 'study hall'...the teacher claimed it was for the next year's class and grabbed the book right out of my hand. I was quick to grab it right back and say "That is MY book!" (and showed him the inscription where my mum had given me the book) :-D

Vladimir

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
A Series Of Unfortunate Events. That might seem weird, but beyond the simple writing and ironic explanations scattered around the books, the world, the characters are really interesting and I believe it's the first time I wished for a villain to die. The ending is really unsatisfying, which isn't necessarily bad, at least not in my opinion.

I read the... first few pages of Colors Of Chaos, and from what I've seen and heard from the guy who gave it to me, it's really good (though it's a biiiig book) and I guess I especially like it because of the style and theme.

The Silverwing series were really good, but Darkwing, even though it's still about bats, is a really different experience. I didn't read a lot of it but it's one of the few English books that can engross me enough to keep reading.

Artemis Fowl. That guy is my second all-time favorite villain, behind Yagami Light. I hate the fact that he became kinder, though. So the first volume is still my favorite.

Mornavial

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
Well iam reading a series of books called "the dark tower" by Stephen king and to the amasment of some its not a horrour story I find it a good read but is for advanced readers and is a bit "dry" at the start but gets very good

Woollyneck

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur, Other
One of the best books I've ever read is The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, by Mark Haddon. It's an easy read, and it's really captivating. The characterization is great. I definitely recommend it.

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Shakespeare is always a wonderful reading experience! The Tempest is one of my personal favorites, and being that the language is so different from the common vernacular, there are so many different meanings that can be gathered from every reader!

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
I'd be interested.

The Catcher in the Rye is my suggestion. Boy, suave as hell. I'd like it to be a real discussion, though, none of that phony stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.