Act/sat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Well, today our sophomore class took the Pre-ACT test. I was pretty confident I did well. The questions them selves were actually not all that difficult, the bitch of it was, it was timed. If we had unlimited time, im pretty confident I could get a 32 on it. But it wasn't. So, since I want to go to college in Florida, that means I will have to take the SAT. My question(s) is/are, what is the difference between the SAT/ACT? And if you have taken the SAT/ACT, what were your scores? And also, is there a SAT/ACT like test in Europe?

Connor

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Do all school age kids take those tests, we never had anything like that when I was in school.

But we had something you guys didn't have, Dino 101.

Ace

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Do all school age kids take those tests, we never had anything like that when I was in school.

But we had something you guys didn't have, Dino 101.

I'm pretty sure just about everyone takes them. I never took the ACT, but I did the PSAT's and SAT's, both of which were held on a Saturday and cost money. Personally I think they are a way for some company to make some money. Looking back now being out of college for a few years, I don't even think I could tell you how I scored on the SAT's.

Role
  1. Other
First the timing is part of the scoring.

I never took the SAT and I took the ACT so long ago it doesn't really matter.

Lil Snap

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Other
it's been a loooong time since I took which ever one has the 2 digit score (see?)

My combined score was a 29 (or 26) whatever. The only thing that test did for me besides my college application was nothing. Well, I had to wake up early to take it, so there's that.

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
ACT is shorter and is fast paced with a time-limit but it's significantly easier than the SAT test in the better sense that if you have a quicker mind rather than one with deep thought. Not only that I think in the ACT points are deducted for not answering questions unlike SAT which doesn't deduct points for skipping. I have taken both of them and I personally prefer the SAT over the ACT. If you are looking into a degree in any foreign laungauge or plan on being a teacher ACT would be the way to go. Other wise find out which test better suits you.
BTW, What colleges are you leaning towards? I'm looking at Florida colleges too.

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
For me, its Embry Riddle Aeronautical University. If you cant tell, its an aviation school, where im going to get my bachelors in Aeronautical Science. I want to be a commercial pilot. Im slowly getting there, cause ill have my PPL in the next few months. But its not cheap! About 45k a year...

Peachy

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer
And also, is there a SAT/ACT like test in Europe?

Connor

We don't do tests like that. At least not in my country. So I'm afraid you probably won't get an answer to that question :(

Peachy

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
Recently got SAT scores beofre, didnt too well.... 1110 without the writing (1620 with writing with a possible of a 2400 max I believe)

F

FullMetal

I used to stress out when it came to those tests. I took the SAT's twice and I am not sure what I got, I think it was a 1200 or something and like a 1720 (if you include the writing) I thought it was OK. I never studied because at one point I knew I was getting into college regardless of if I did extremely well or if I just did OK, so I opted for the OK.

What I say:

Don't stress. That's the worst thing you can do. And in a year, you will look back on the tests and laugh asking yourself why the hell you invested so much time thinking about them.

Breakdown of the test:

It is split into three parts- Writing, English, Math

For the writing, they give you a topic and you have to write about that subject. What I recommend is to add in as many outside sources into the essay. Like if it is about child obesity, be like:

" '43% of all American children in the school systems are overweight,' Says the New York times"

They like that stuff. Even if you make it up. The thing is, the people who read these things, read about 50 a day and will not look up your sources. Also, if you use books to back up your claims, they really like that. Even make up a book if you don't know one, I did it, I got an 11/12 (Like a 700/800 or something) as my score. lol

The English part is a lot of 'read this (story, article, ect.) and answer questions. What helped me the most was reading the questions first, never just read out the whole story because when you get to the questions you will forget everything. Also, if the story has Black Bold type above it, READ THAT, it can give you information for the questions. And clear up the subject of conversation.

Math: I have no clue, I am bad at math. It's pretty much you know this or you don't, so study if you are not good at math and want to do well.

Hope I helped you out dude! Good Luck.

FullMetal

Silikon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Just a heads up to you underclassman, the PSAT is significantly shorter and easier than the real test.

Status
Not open for further replies.