Account problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

BitterGrey

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur, Other
Hello,

Thanks for keeping the system running and mostly glitch-free.

Today when attempting to reply to a private message, I received this error:

"Sorry, but while you can reply to private messages you were sent in the past, you are unable to message people who have not previously sent a message to you.

This limit is usually caused by a low post count, although other possible causes are :

* A negative reputation score
* A recent infraction
* Your account awaiting email or admin activation

To contact the webmaster or a moderator, you should instead post a new thread in the requests forum. "

The last few words are a link to http://www.adisc.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18 which gives a "you do not have permission to access this page" error message.

However, I apparently can still go to the administrative area manually to post.

Reactions: Moo

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I think this is probably because your account still has "Newbie" status (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

d4l

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Other
That link is to the regulars forum which to you don't have access to yet. Newbies also can't send pms until they become regulars if i remember correctly there some restriction (not sure on the exacts)

BitterGrey

Est. Contributor
Role
Oh.

In that case, we should remove the "you can reply to private messages" part of the error message, since newbies apparently can't reply.

BitterGrey

Est. Contributor
Role
Possibly a new issue...

This might be a recent change, since I was able to reply to private messages as recently as Feb 16th.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
In that case, we should remove the "you can reply to private messages" part of the error message, since newbies apparently can't reply.
How old was the message you tried to reply to?

And the forum that you were linked to is the request forum, but I'm fairly sure you got blocked from that due to you being a "newbie" Anyhow, hang around and you'll get regular status soon.

BitterGrey

Est. Contributor
Role
How old was the message you tried to reply to?

And the forum that you were linked to is the request forum, but I'm fairly sure you got blocked from that due to you being a "newbie" Anyhow, hang around and you'll get regular status soon.
The private message that I was trying to reply too was dated 04-03-2008, 12:57 AM. After becoming a regular just now, I can apparently respond to it.

The link was from the error message. Perhaps it should be replaced with the one that Diapered4lyfe posted. Also, if newbies can't respond to private messages, we should change the error message which states that they can.

~Grey

Ben

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
Moo changed the requirements on what is newbie and what is regular. The new requirements probably dropped him down to newbie where he was a regular under the old requirements. That would explain why he was able to PM before then not at a later date. I think the post count for going from newbie to regular was changed from 10 posts to 20 or something like that.

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
heheh And now BitterGrey has 21 posts and is a "regular" so he should be able to reply to PMs again! YAY!

BitterGrey

Est. Contributor
Role
Thanks,

Yes, once I became regular, I was able to reply. I'm told that 'quick reply' should have worked even though 'reply' did not. I must have overlooked the 'quick reply' button. I still can't find it on the private message screen.

~Grey

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
Thank you for reporting these bugs BitterGrey :)

To address the points:
* Regular status was changed from requiring 10 posts to requiring 20 posts. This might be why you started getting this error again - people who had between 10 and 20 posts when this was changed fell back to newbie.
* The bug where the "requests forum" link text tried to send you to the regulars' forum (instead of the requests forum) is now fixed.
* There is no "quick reply" button. Just do a text search for "Quick Reply To Sender" on the page while viewing the pm. That will highlight a header in the page. Below that header there is a text entry area. Just fill this in and press "submit message" to reply. I thought that people used to using the quick reply box while viewing threads would be able to use this without an introduction. It only just occurred to me that some people might not have been aware of the quick reply box on threads either, as you have to scroll down past the "Post Reply" button to see it.
* The text given to people with low post counts is now changed to reflect the fact they can use the quick reply to sender area, but not the reply button. This should save confusion.

As you've probably guessed there are a lot of different software modifications and addons which enable us to have such a unique site.
Sometimes, due to the complexity of the code, bugs creep in.
I can usually fix bugs that are reported within 24 hours, but... I do need people to report them first!
Thank you for reporting :)

Status
Not open for further replies.