• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Accidents & Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohio_Male

Contributor
Role
Incontinent
I'm new here :smile: [adult male]

I'm incontinent, but the degree varies quite a bit, and I don't always wear diapers. Often I get by with just a guard, and sometimes I don't need anything at all.

But that means that occasionally I'll get into a situation where the guard isn't enough, and it starts to leak. Or I'll be without any protection at all, thinking that I didn't really need it, but find myself unable to hold it due to bad planning or some unpredictable chain of events.

:eek:hmy:

I'd be interested to hear from others who have had this experience.

LM

B

Butterfly Mage

Generally, I'd probably recommend using one absorbancy higher than you really need -- just to be on the safe side.

BabyKat

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Incontinent, , Private
Yeah, or just make sure you always have at least a guard on, just in case.

I would say here, if you expect there to be problems, go for more protection than you expect to need, and if you think you'll be fine, just wear the minimum just in case you do need it.

dprdinky

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Carer
You can always uses other diapers as stuffers or find stuffers or additional padding. Tranquility has them, as does Abena.

Lot's of *B/Dl use baby diapers and trim them in a way they do a wonderful job of acting as additional padding. I've heard a few can pull back the plastic outside from the padding in the diaper and slip a baby diaper in between, then it shows the print of the baby diaper through. Kinda neat.

Others will make slits on the inner adult diaper (usually one that is a lower quality diaper) then wear another adult diaper over top the inner diaper. Some like to see how many they can wear at once (some I've heard have worn 6 or more disposables) and then keep them on till all diapers are completely soaked.

maccracker18

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Little, Incontinent
Im kinda in the same boat as u, except my issues usually go with how my back is doing. i've gone a few months with out hardly and accidents and then all of the sudden i mess up my back and im back in them again. Ive also had to figure out the hard way that you should always wear a higher absorbency than what you think you'll need lol. Plus the higher absorbency usually means that i have to change less often, which is fine by me lol.

Ohio_Male

Contributor
Role
Incontinent
Truth is that I don't mind the occasional accident...

depends on who I'm with, but I've gotten used to it

if it happens, it happens :smile1:

catman

Est. Contributor
Role
Incontinent
have you tryed pullups they are like regular underware but hld a lot if you have an accident.

Spaz

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little, Incontinent
Truth is that I don't mind the occasional accident...

depends on who I'm with, but I've gotten used to it

if it happens, it happens :smile1:
I've had urge incontinence all my life and too many accidents to remember. I've learned over the years to wear the best protection you can afford because it's far less stressful. I also have occasional bowel incon and that is much worse with inadequate protection. There are times though when I wear nothing but a pull-up (at home or playing sports, for instance).

In my opinion, it's really no fun being in a public place and overflowing your cheap diaper (been there, done that).
Spaz

incon50

Est. Contributor
Role
Incontinent
I've learned over many years to wear one "up" from what you think you need. Leaks use to really frustrate me but with what has already been said about abena supers, the leak guards are indispensible and if you must use plastic pants just in case.

Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent
I think the advice you have got so far is pretty good. I too have urge incontinence due to an overactive bladder and will sometimes have accidents and they can be quite large, although most of the time they are not. I tend to wear the highest absorbency diapers going, just because I know that I have been caught out before and waddling to the toilet trying not to spill urine out of an overfull diaper is not something I want to do in public again! It can be a pain having to wear the highest absorbency that you might need, but it might be best.

checkingoutall

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent, Other
For me I don't like dealing with accidents when I am out or at work so it is a must to wear protection. The level of protection is different for each of us. Many have already said, use a little more than you think. For me, I always have a change or three with me at all times.

It's much easier to change a diaper than wet pants.

bebehuey

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Incontinent, Private
keep a change of those around too. i keep at least 2 changes of clothes ad at least a couple of diapers in my work truck

angelabauer

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Incontinent
Hi Ohio Male, I have only been a member here a couple of days and I am a woman. Still because I have been incontinent most of my life, a whole lot of urologists have told me a whole lot about urology. Also, in January 2007, when my husband Don was 74, his annual physical showed a significant elevation in his PSA. Don's father had been diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1961, long before PSA was invented, and died of that despite having surgery. Consequently since PSA was approved Don has had them twice a year. His primary physician referred Don to a urologist the day the bad PSA came back. Don phoned me at my office so I could be with him when he met his own urologist for the first time. That is an entirely different urology office than the one treating me.
The second PSA done by the urologist agreed with the other as to numbers, and all the ultrasound and other tests pointed to prostate trouble. A surgical biopsy was schedules. The finding as an agressive prostate cancer. By then Don had been using a lot of research I have been doing for decades, so he understood the treatment options. His father had tried radiation, then chemo and finally had surgery, which in 1962 was really life-changing. Then Don's father also was 74. Coincidence.

The way Don thought, and I agreed, is that he has three adult children with his late wife and we have a daughter. Given the type of cancer, chemo was a long-shot. Radiation might slow it. The new robotic prostate surgery has a high success rate and recovery of bladder control now almost always happens. With my full support Don asked to be scheduled for the robotic surgery and his medical plan agreed. The good news is it only took Don six weeks post surgery to regain bladder control.
Even before the surgery Don's urologist had a physical therapist and physician's assistant coaching and counseling Don. Right away Don told them his late wife and I are incontinent. Nevertheless this support team explained all the options including catheters and collection bags as well as different kinds of diapers.

Okay, Ohio Male, what does your own urology support team have to say about selection of containment options?
Don does not mind changing my diapers, as he sometimes did for his late wife, but he had never changed himself. Still he realized that he would be incontinent for a spell and would dribble after that.
We bought Don some classic poly-plastic and also newer cloth-like briefs. In addition we bought him a bag of Depend Adjustable. Don tried them first, in the days following the biopsy. He needed no practice wearing those pull-on undies, which had more than enough capacity to deal with dribbles and minor spurts. Don found that for him following surgery the pull-on undies were no less convenient than ordinary boxers or cotton briefs.

The advice Don got from his support team was that slip-in and guards work a lot better for women than for men. You might want to talk to them about pull-on undies. Depend will be introducing the gender specific kind in April, but already many stores have them. For men that are similar to Adjustable, but offer advantages for women.

I'm new here :smile: [adult male]

I'm incontinent, but the degree varies quite a bit, and I don't always wear diapers. Often I get by with just a guard, and sometimes I don't need anything at all.

But that means that occasionally I'll get into a situation where the guard isn't enough, and it starts to leak. Or I'll be without any protection at all, thinking that I didn't really need it, but find myself unable to hold it due to bad planning or some unpredictable chain of events.

:eek:hmy:

I'd be interested to hear from others who have had this experience.

LM

Status
Not open for further replies.