Accesible newbie information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goose

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
I've been on the forum long enough that I've figured most of this out, but when I started up just a few weeks ago, I had no idea what meant what in the forums. Some of the questions can be links to other threads, but some of them I think could only be found through searching the forums, and that doesn't always return the results you want. Some questions I think that need to be put in a "Look here first" thread somewhere on the forum:

How to attain VIP or regular status? What does lurker mean? Who are the staff? How do you get your identity verified? What (dis)advantages do regulars/VIP/newbies/lurkers have? Why do we frown upon lame screen names? Where can I find more info on the IRC?

I know when I first started here, there was no one central post that answered all my questions, and I think it'd be very useful. [Yes, I checked through all the current "newbie" threads, none of them were extremely helpful.]

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
VIP: http://www.adisc.org/forum/announcements-news/6997-secret-vip-requirement.html

Lurkers are those who don't post on the site and, well...'Lurk'

Staff: Staff roles - ADISC Answers Wiki

Verified thing: http://www.adisc.org/forum/regulars...ead-now-100-more-poll.html?highlight=verified
It's basically a way that shows that you are who you say you are for an extent. There's not benefits behind it, and it doesn't really help you seem more trustworthy.

I don't know of any disadvantages, but the main 'advantage' is have more access to the site, and VIP's get a title under their name (Where yours says 'Regular' currently)

Screen names that have something like 'diaper' and whatnot just appear unoriginal and make the user look like all they think about it diapers. Granted, it's a diaper related site, but show some creativity. It's not to say that all users that have a name like that fit the description, but it doesn't help the image that users generate about that person.

IRC: http://www.adisc.org/forum/regulars...ead-now-100-more-poll.html?highlight=verified

Goose

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
While the information is well and good here, I just think there needs to be a thread where newbies can go to get all the questions answered in one fell swoop. I found it relatively difficult (in comparison to many other forums I've been on/staffed) to find this kind of information. And still, how do you get out of lurker? I know it's not permanent, but how long does it take to get it? And does it do anything besides turn your name maroon?

Dream

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
To get out of lurker....all you have to do is post and you should go back to normal in no time.

Role
  1. Private
OP is asking for codification of tribal knowledge, and compilation of pages that are spread all over the forum.

This is a good thing to devote a bit of thought to. I'd be happy to help in pulling together all the threads and making a sort of "meta-post" (made sticky) to assist in this effort.

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Carer
  5. Other
There probably should be a big link to what Peachy just linked.

Perhaps where that notification for the member map popped up, there should be one that links to the About ADISC page that appears for all newbies.

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
There has been notices at the top of the forum, so maybe as soon as one signs up a newbie will get the notice at the top with the link? I could see that helping

I don't particularly like the Wiki for official news and rules. Because I would prefer official publications rather than let them be tweaked by the public.

But yes, I feel the same when there are reference to this and that, and to understand them you have to chase pages, and those pages are linked to more. It can become tiring and still leaving questions half answered or not at all.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
Unmarth makes a valid point. I would not mind if wiki edits were made pending until mod review, at least the really important things on site policy and information that is to be relied on, which might do harm if unclear or inaccurate.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
They can be protected and Danny AFAIK checks all edits.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
funny-pictures-evil-raccoon.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.