ABU Sizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophiaa

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
So I'm almost certain I'll be buying some ABU's to try in the near future - I need help with the sizing. I've not measured myself in a while, but I'm a 34-44" waist I think. Could anyone leave some sizing recommendations or charts that work with the current batch of ABU's? :)

34 to 44 is a pretty large range. A more precise measurement might help.

With as big of a gap as that you are somewhere between medium to large. If your not sure abu offers sample packs and you can order one medium and one large and decide which fits better.

Yeah, what MolicareMan said, that is a pretty large range. ABU's size point between medium and large is 36"

If you're somewhere in there I'd suggest trying a sample of medium and large.

ABU has a nice sample order option, you can get a variety of models AND sizes. I'd suggest two orders of samples.

I'm going to measure myself soon, what part of my body do I need to measure? Just near my bellow button (I know that's where diapers usually sit) or anywhere else?

Sophiaa said:
I'm going to measure myself soon, what part of my body do I need to measure? Just near my bellow button (I know that's where diapers usually sit) or anywhere else?

The most important measurement is your "belt line". That's just where your belt on your pants goes. Measure around there with a flexible tape measure or with a string etc and then measure that. The top tapes will need to go around there.

In theory, that's what a diaper should size to. Unfortunately, in practice they just look at whether or not the top tapes will hit the front wings. The lower tapes will always require more distance because your lower hip is wider (otherwise your pants would never stay up) and the middle/front of your diaper has to come in, and then up, and then back out. That adds 2-4" of distance. So despite being say 38" waist, a daper that claims to fit say 26-40" will probably not quite fit because your "diaper size" is more like 42". Not all of them are sized like that, but most are.

If you have any doubt, get samples before making a larger order.

Also, some people, (more often women than men) have wider than average hips, so you may have to add even more to your diaper size. At any rate, too large is a lot easier to work with than too small.

This is incorrect. Look at most manufacturers own sizing and they clearly state waist line. This is approximately where your belly button is (maybe a little lower). The waist line is also where diapers are supposed to extend up to, and is the measurement used to determine the size range needed.

When you incorrectly size a diaper on your belt line, and that measurement is smaller than your waist line (which it is for most americans including myself), then you will likely be getting one size too small. The diaper will be too tight around the legs due to how its cut and shaped. You will also have an increased change of diaper blowouts and ripping, tapes popping off, and you will be much more likely to leak out over the top waist band (notice its proper name isn't belt band.....).

As further proof, look at any baby. Their diapers often extend up past their belly buttons. (Though this height is often lowered with older children and pullups). This is the one thing I've never understood with some people. They want to experience that same feeling a baby would have, but then they try and put on a diaper that is clearly one or more sizes too small. Babies don't wear undersized diapers, so would they too?

Slomo said:
This is incorrect. Look at most manufacturers own sizing and they clearly state waist line. This is approximately where your belly button is (maybe a little lower). The waist line is also where diapers are supposed to extend up to, and is the measurement used to determine the size range needed.

I don't mean to start an argument over this, I'm just looking at my experiences and also practical reasoning. The top tapes work just like the belt on your pants, they go around the narrowest part of your hips that they can reach up to, and keep your pants/diaper from falling down. Diapers with lower tapes seal the lower front and back part of the wings around your legs, and help prevent leaks. (they play little or no part in keeping your diaper up)

I've discussed fitting with several diaper retailers and most of them size their diapers based solely on getting the top tapes to hit the tape zone on the front. All diapers are going to require at least several inches more distance for the lowers to fit because the hips are wider as you go down, plus the wings won't be able to reach as far around the hip at their bottom. (unless your diaper is very oversize) So you can't expect to be able to attach all four tapes at the high end of most stated ranges.
As further proof, look at any baby.

As has been discussed in many prior threads, a baby's hip geometry is considerably different than that of an adult. They tend to be more overall "round", whereas adults are anywhere from "square" to 'trapezoid" depending on body build. That's why baby diapers don't have four tapes, they don't need them. There are some important differences between fitting a baby's diaper and fitting an adult's diaper, you can't just assume what's true for one is true for the other. Addressing your "belly button" comment though, remember the top tape runs around the beltline to work like a belt - so if there's only one pair of tapes, the tape is going to be in between where the upper and lower would have been, so yes there has to be a higher rise above the tape, getting close to the belly button. Two tape diapers try harder to fit more like a baby diaper for design reasons. They'll fit an adult differently than a four tape diaper, and will be more prone to leaks, all other factors being equal. ABU and Rearz's two tape diapers try to make up for that with wider padding and faster wicking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back