Absolute capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

melancollie

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Sissy,
ok. well being as, alot of diaper companies lie about how much their diaper can hold. I figure how about we all post up our experiences with diaper capacity.

NAME:
CAPACITY:
FEATURES:

Sticky potential? would for sure help.
i would post but i ran out of ATN's, more should be here monday. other than that, i haven't really had much of an experience testing capacity.

SO FAR. PLEASE NOTE, WETTINGS CAN VARY BY PERSON, I AM TAKING ADVICE FROM FELLOW MEMBERS. I HOPE IT HELPS, AND ALSO, NAMES OF THE DIAPER/NAPPY MAY BE DIFFERENT THAN IN STORES/ONLINE.

Abena X-plus
about 3-4 wettings

Attends extended wear
about 2-3 wettings

Attends style 10
about 2 wettings

Bambino Printed
about 4 wettings

Depend Maximum Protection
about 2 wettings

Depend Super plus absorbency
about 1-2 wettings

Dry 24/7
about 4-5 wettings

Goodnites
about 1.5 wettings

Secure X-plus
about 3-4 wettings

Tranquility ATN
about 3-4 wettings

Last edited:

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
well abena x-plus held 3 wettings for me once. No idea how many oz that is but I got sick of wearing the diaper before I had to change it.

The attends style 10 with out the leg gathers and waistband held like 2 wettings but you had to let it out slow other wise it would flood and leak.

Depends fitted maximum could hold two wettings as well.

Role
Diaper Lover
I don't like wetting my diapers so I used water instead.

Girls goodnites L/XL held about 17 ounces (it would've held more but I decided to stop because I wanted to wear it without it leaking). I had to pour the water slowly though, otherwise it would've leaked all over the place.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private

Girls goodnites L/XL held about 17 ounces (it would've held more but I decided to stop because I wanted to wear it without it leaking). I had to pour the water slowly though, otherwise it would've leaked all over the place.

That seems like a waste of diapers...

Role
Diaper Lover

Seconded.

LittleAdam

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Incontinent
Abena x-plus hold the most of any diaper I've ever worn. Secure x-plus are very, very close but don't seem to fit me right (gaps at the legs). Tranquility ATN would be third for me, which is what I usually wear if I need a "day diaper" to be discreet.

As far as capacity, since i wet in small amounts often, I haven't actually measured. But I can wear the abena all night and well in to the next day if I want to.

Features wise, the problem with diapers like abena and ATNs are the tapes, which is where Secure really wins. I just wish they fit better.

awesomeness787

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover

Seconded.
Some people just like the feeling of a wet diaper. So to say it's a waste isn't fair. It probably was not a waste for him if he enjoyed the experience. For you, it would be.

Neither of you even posted any helpful information relating to this topic. :confused: If you ask me, that was a waste of post. :D But seriously, you both have the right to share your thoughts yes? I won't stop you from doing that, it would be wrong. But can I suggest sticking to the topic?

Anyway, I really like to test different diapers to see how much they can hold. And sadly I've only tried a few. Depends pull-ups can hold 1 wetting, if you let it go slowly. Would strongly NOT recommend buying them. The depends diapers however can hold around 2 to 3 wettings, and you still have to go slowly.

Dry24/7 are an excellent diaper in my book. They can hold several good wettings and not leak. From what I remember I think it can hold about 4-5 good wettings.

Attends extended wear are really nice, the tapes can be adjusted many times to get the perfect fit. They hold around 2-3 wettings, maybe more..

quattrus

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur, Carer
Neither of you even posted any helpful information relating to this topic. :confused: If you ask me, that was a waste of post. :D But seriously, you both have the right to share your thoughts yes? I won't stop you from doing that, it would be wrong. But can I suggest sticking to the topic?
I wonder how could I be able to exactly measure the absolute capacity of a diaper, since that's what the OP originally requested. Taking the "number of wettings" as a measure unit is too subjective, since everyone's wettings are different, provided that the proper way to use a diaper is - as baseball4life19 pointed out - doing it in small amounts so that it gets absorbed more uniformly.

I think one of the possible ways would be to measure the weight of the diaper after having taken it off, but I've never done it myself, and the results I could obtain won't be objective since I nearly always wear boosters inside my diapers. What I can for sure confirm is that Abriforms are without any doubt the most "heavy-duty" and best designed diapers I've ever tried.

LittleAdam

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Incontinent
I wonder how could I be able to exactly measure the absolute capacity of a diaper, since that's what the OP originally requested. Taking the "number of wettings" as a measure unit is too subjective, since everyone's wettings are different, provided that the proper way to use a diaper is - as baseball4life19 pointed out - doing it in small amounts so that it gets absorbed more uniformly.

I think one of the possible ways would be to measure the weight of the diaper after having taken it off, but I've never done it myself, and the results I could obtain won't be objective since I nearly always wear boosters inside my diapers. What I can for sure confirm is that Abriforms are without any doubt the most "heavy-duty" and best designed diapers I've ever tried.
That's not a bad idea, though you would probably need a more accurate/fine measuring scale, as it is going to measure in single pounds, probably, rather than 10's or 20's as most house scales do.

quattrus

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur, Carer
If an accurate measurement is necessary, I think it would be enough to use a precision scale, weighing the dry diaper, then the same diaper after the use, and therefore calculating the amount of liquids it has absorbed.

In medical tests, this is one of the conventional methods used to determine the amount of urine that bedwetters release during sleep.

Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
A great way to measure a diaper's holding capacity is to weigh one dry, and weigh one full of liquid and subtract the dry weight from the wet weight.

See, 1 Litre weighs 1000 grams, or 1 kilogram. Seeing as though 99.8% of pee is water, it's safe to use the water weight measurement for it.

Just something fun to think of if you want to seriously measure capacity.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
The weight test is an excellent suggestion to measure capacity. I find that the "scientific" tests that are done on diapers by manufacturers do not show how the product works out in the real world. They typically tape the diaper around some sort of test container with a few small holes in it and see how long it takes for the diaper to leak.

This is obviously not accurate b/c the size and shape of the container do not mimic the human body... and factors such as sweat, weight (sitting down), and movement are not accounted for.

Since I wet frequently and in small amounts I find it easier to measure a diaper's capacity as a function of the number of hours I can stay in it, consume the "normal" amounts of fluid, and urinate as the need arises without needing a change. I will typically change the diaper before it gets to the point of leaking b/c a leak out in public or at work would not be good at all. I'd rather play it on the safe side and use a few more diapers than fill one to capacity and risk an embarassing situation.

Attends w/ 6-tapes and waistband: 3-4 hours
Tena Super: 4-6 hours
Secure X-plus: 6-8 hours
Dry 24/7: 10-12 hours
Abri-form X-plus: 8-10 hours
Bambino: 6-8 hours

As far as living diapered 24/7 goes... I find that it has worked best to keep a selection of several absorbancy levels on hand. This enables me to pick a diaper that will work best in a given situation. If I am not going to be out long, or will be in a place where I can change frequently with no trouble I will typically stick with Attends b/c they are super-comfy. If I plan to be out for several hours and would rather not change I can wear a Secure X-plus and not have to worry. If I am in a situation where I don't want to change for a very long time and can deal with the added bulk I will go straight for a Dry 24/7.

redtails

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer, Other
Diaper manufacturers don't necessarily lie when they write "1500ml" on the package. But, as you may know, a lot of the polymer never gets wet to begin with, while it is actually there.

Think of the absorbing polymer around the backside of a diaper. It's there for when you lie down, but if you stand up that part hardly gets soaked. I think by "1500ml" they just imply "throw it in a bucket of water and 1500ml will disappear from it" :)

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
XP Medical's tests are decent. However several of the diaper brands and types they tested have changed throughout the years (those tests are O-L-D) so they aren't as accurate as they once were. For example... a new Attends breif w/ waistbands will not hold as much as the old ones did.

jenoleander

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Incontinent
24/7

I have been using the 24/7 for about a month now. I have not had one leak yet. I will 3 or 4 large wettings and not have a problem except for the sag factor.
They end up getting pretty heavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.