• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Abena X-Plus vs. Bambino Bianco Quantitative Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeeter

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I have to say that the results surprised me quite a bit.

I tested the absolute absorbency of the Abena X-Plus and the Bambino Bianco by first weighing them dry and then weighing them after soaking them in water for 10 minutes, then letting them hang to dry for 10 minutes. I also did the same thing for the Abri-Let Maxi and the Bambino Quadro. I used a kitchen scale that measures to the closest 5g; not that it really mattered in the end, there was one very clear winner...

Dry weights:

Abena X-Plus - 185g
Bambino - 165g

Abri-Let Maxi - 70g
Bambino Quadro - 45g

Wet weights:

Abena X-Plus - 4255g
Bambino Bianco - ~6600g !! It actually exceeded the kitchen scale's range so I weighed it on my bathroom scale (14lbs.) and converted the result.

Abri-Let Maxi - 620g - this had a lot of press out/runoff when I hung it up because it is mostly pulp. It also compressed in thickness as well.
Bambino Quadro - 1880g !! This one swelled to almost quadruple the thickeness of the Abri-Let !! I will post a picture to my gallery of the comparison. It is impressive considering the dry comparison pictures.

Wet Bambino Quadro and Abri-let Maxi Picture

Needless to say the Bambino products have, by far, the greater absolute absorbancy (and much better press out characteristics).

The only thing is that, I've never come close to reaching the capacity of Bambinos; whereas, I always seem close to maxing out the Abenas. The Bambinos always leak well before full capacity for me. I seem to get more wear time out of the Abenas.

Last edited:

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
Very interesting (and scientific) results. Thank you for posting them.

I have made Bambinos leak a few times... though this was always out of sheer negligence on my part. I typically know when to change... but when you are just too lazy you pay the price.

Nam Repaid

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
The test I’ve envisioned but never tried would be to pour in a known quantity of water and sleep over night in it checking for leaks in the morning. Using more water each night until they leak would give a fair comparison of the various brands real world capacity.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Honestly the only real-world testing for diapers involves real-world wearing. Trying to pour in various quantities of water does not simulate urination or the way urine enters the diaper. Plus the amount of salts and fats in your urine can effect a diaper's capacity, plus the weight of the wearer and etc. Bench-testing is only useful in a laboratory... different things occur in the real world.

If you want to know how a diaper really performs... ask people that use them regularly, they'll let you know.

TallestBabyEver

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
im kinda surprised that the bambino won, but at the same time im not. I would think the Abenas would produce more consistent results than the bambino seeing as they are a largely mass produced diaper while the bambinos are not as highly produced. In any case i would go with the abena over the bambino

Skeeter

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I have made Bambinos leak a few times... though this was always out of sheer negligence on my part. I typically know when to change... but when you are just too lazy you pay the price.
The only reason they leaked is because I was intentionally pushing them. I can usually last a whole day at work in an Abena, without leaks. With Bambinos I always leak at about the 6 hour mark.

The test I’ve envisioned but never tried would be to pour in a known quantity of water and sleep over night in it checking for leaks in the morning. Using more water each night until they leak would give a fair comparison of the various brands real world capacity.
The Bambino would win a test like this hands down. The SAP does not let any water out once it's locked in.

Honestly the only real-world testing for diapers involves real-world wearing. Trying to pour in various quantities of water does not simulate urination or the way urine enters the diaper. Plus the amount of salts and fats in your urine can effect a diaper's capacity, plus the weight of the wearer and etc. Bench-testing is only useful in a laboratory... different things occur in the real world.

If you want to know how a diaper really performs... ask people that use them regularly, they'll let you know.
I completely agree. That is why the test surprised me. I would have thought the capacities would have been closer given my experience with both of them.

im kinda surprised that the bambino won, but at the same time im not. I would think the Abenas would produce more consistent results than the bambino seeing as they are a largely mass produced diaper while the bambinos are not as highly produced. In any case i would go with the abena over the bambino
Actually I think the Bambinos have better quality. They are really trying to cater to a niche market. Abenas just don't have the consistent quality that Bambinos have in my experience.

Nam Repaid

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
The Bambino would win a test like this hands down. The SAP does not let any water out once it's locked in.
That is the info I was seeking however I ordered the X-Pluses just a few minutes ago. Next time! Ive tryed most of the major brands and store brands too and am still looking for that perfect soggy sleeper that won't leak.

Lazy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Incontinent
Water =/= to urine but a good test indeed. I believe the salts and other minerals not absorbed by the water [only?] absorbing super-crystals that eventually cover the surface of the diaper aren't factored in when you do these water absorption test so a real-world test can and may be indeed drastically different.

FoXPuP

Est. Contributor
i've never tried Abena myself, but i have (and am wearing now) a bambino, and i must say the absorbency is amazing.

I noticed some people saying they had leaks after awhile, which confused me. I wear a Bambino from morning till night sometimes, and it only leaks when i've flooded it beyond it's capacity, but never just in walking/sitting around in it.
I guess it's just how you put them on, body type, and what size you wear, which is why people always disagree on performance of a particular diaper.
However, i can't really say because as i said i've never worn an Abena

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
The only reason they leaked is because I was intentionally pushing them. I can usually last a whole day at work in an Abena, without leaks. With Bambinos I always leak at about the 6 hour mark.
Ah... this illustrates exactly what I am talking about. As long as I'm not intentionally drinking large amounts of fluid a Bambino will last me from 8AM to 6PM. Abena X-plus is typically right there with it, but the padding in the X-plus tends to clump up when you are active and moving around... Bambinos don't do that.

Also, I have noticed that Abenas have a tendancy to seep moisture through the outer cover as they get close to capacity... Bambinos don't do that either.

Nicky

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
Wow, that is pretty interesting. I could have sworn it was the other way around. Thanks for the findings

Skeeter

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
That is the info I was seeking however I ordered the X-Pluses just a few minutes ago. Next time! Ive tryed most of the major brands and store brands too and am still looking for that perfect soggy sleeper that won't leak.
No worries, the Abenas are still excellent (and still my favorite). I sleep in wet Abenas sometimes, although I do not wet the bed, and they haven't leaked once. Abenas are also better able to handle flooding. The Abena was soaked to capacity within a minute of immersing it in water, the Bambino took a couple of minutes, at least, to swell up completely.

And honestly, you'd probably never be able to wear a Bambino that has been wet to capacity. It weighed 14 lbs fully wet and the lining was barely holding everything together :sweatdrop:. I think in actual usage Abenas and Bambinos are closer in performance (with the edge given only in personal preferences, usage habits, or fit).

You'll see the next time, when you order your Bambinos :).

P.S. You should have seen the trash bag I took out with the soaked items, it weighed close to 30 lbs!

WoXxY

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Incontinent
I don't think using a bathroom scale is a good idea, they usually aren't very accurate, especially on the lower end.
How fast the diaper absorbs actual urine and in what positions are much greater factors in the diapers effectiveness.

I guess if you drank a LOT of pure water then you could reach that capacity..

adriansurley

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Incontinent
If this test was done using a saline solution (emulates urine) then it would only play to Bambino's advantage in absorbancy because Bambino uses more polymer in their diaper then any other diaper on the market. Which polymer reacts better to a saline solution then it does water. (there goes that Chemical Engineering degree at its best ;-) )

mizzycub

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
There is a different between absolute capacity and when the product actually leaks (due to differences in design, the person wearing it etc.). Just soaking in water won't show this. Very interesting to see though. I'm going to get to try some Abena X-Pluses soon - getting Bambinos is a bit too hard at the moment. In this country getting some is about equivalent to getting access to a Swiss Bank Account that you don't know any of the access details to. So close to impossible there isn't much point bothering.

Rheeer

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Sissy, Carer
They're both amazing diapers...the absorbency of both is commendable. The reason I choose to wear Bambinos now is they are designed to be more babyish. The Abenas have a slightly clinical feel to them in my opinion.

WoXxY

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Incontinent
Umm.... I think you got that backwards.

The salts interfere with absorbtion in the polymers. That's why plain water tests are unrealistic and always 'gel' biased.
The saltier the fluid, the less capacity.

BabyMullet

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
I think medical X-plus did some good tests, using a jug of water that tested the speed of absorption along with total absorption, both of which are important.

Status
Not open for further replies.