Abena M4's are overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 42801

So a month ago I ordered a bag of abena m4's (plastic backed). I had high expectations, because of every review that has been on the internet about them.

However, when I tried them myself as a nighttime diaper, I did not really like them all because they tended to not hold that much. I think I taped them correctly. It is just that when I was lying down it would quickly get to the top of the diaper or to the side it and leak out.

Am I doing something wrong? Or does the diaper just nog fit my body size that well? Or am I expecting too much from them as a night-time diaper?

chamberpot

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
  3. Other
I love the M4, I wet very heavy overnight without issues but every so often, are you doing the stretch from end to end and then the fold lengthwise and fluff up before putting on?

D

Deleted member 42801

Hmm yeah, thats a good one. I always did the folding part. Fluff up not always, but I get what you are saying. However, I am not sure what you mean by "stretch from end to end". Can you explain that a bit more?

RJDodger

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
They aren't the greatest diaper by a long shot, but they're the best medical diaper and the best in their price range.

downtide

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I have tried Abena M4s and I don't rate them as highly as Tena Slip Maxis (the plastic backed ones). I found the M4s were too bulky in relation to their absorbency; the Tenas have at least equal capacity if not more, and they're half the thickness. The M4s were also more prone to leakage before being filled to capacity than the Tenas. I also had repeated problems with the Abena tapes coming off. And Tenas are cheaper. So.. no. I won't buy Abenas again.

D

Deleted member 42801

Sounds like we have got a point of agreement :) I am also currently a happy user of Tena slip maxis (active fit). I especially like their fit and the fact that they can be worn in public discretely

INCONTAL

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I try a lot of different diaper for night time always come back to abena and tykables.

ClickyKeys

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I used to wear them 24/7, but sometime around like September/October of last year I started having more issues with them for whatever reason. Quality control not as good anymore or something.

sandy5144

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
The M4's are very absorbent but the padding seems to really push out the front of the diaper making it fit weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xpluswearer

Moderated
Role
  1. Incontinent
Only if we could go into a medical supply store and get custom fitted for our diapers like a tuxedo we could end the discussions on oh this does not fit this or that. Quite Frankly I am a heavy wetter meaning I use the full diaper for what its intended to before I change out NEVER had a leak in a L 4 the M 4 is the same just cut smaller. There are some companies out there with old defective M & L 4's some companies do not rotate or return to vendor the krappy batches so they can get credit for them instead they sell them to us without out knowledge. However XP did do a special on the defective ones and clearly stated that these were from a defective batch dunno how many they sold from that I do not want them unless they are foolproof and reliable.

Maux

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
Abena AbriForm L4s are my preferred diaper. I literally wear them all the time, with a booster at night because I tend to wet heavier asleep. They're not the highest absorbency out there, but being incontinent I rarely get full use of diapers with that high of absorbency(and they're generally more expensive than an Abena with a booster anyway), as I'll end up having to get changed beforehand. But the only cheaper diapers that are even functional for me as far as absorbency and sturdiness is concerned are Tranquility ATNs, and even so, I can't use those at night or for long periods of time.

So I always end up coming back to the Abenas. Nothing seems to be an adequate replacement, and they're generally always more expensive.

- - - Updated - - -

I will say though, when I first started getting them, I did have a bit of the side leak problem. I weighed a lot more then, and it was my first two tape diaper(before this all the Adult Diapers I'd worn had been the three tape variety) and it took me a bit to get used to the fit. It wasn't until my wife started taking care of my changes that I really started to get the fit right to avoid that.

Slomo

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
So a month ago I ordered a bag of abena m4's (plastic backed). I had high expectations, because of every review that has been on the internet about them.

However, when I tried them myself as a nighttime diaper, I did not really like them all because they tended to not hold that much. I think I taped them correctly. It is just that when I was lying down it would quickly get to the top of the diaper or to the side it and leak out.

Am I doing something wrong? Or does the diaper just nog fit my body size that well? Or am I expecting too much from them as a night-time diaper?

Nope. Abena used to be great, but a year or two ago they cheapened up their diapers really bad. Now they are a sub-par or mid-grade diaper at best. Tape popping, pinhole leaks, ripped backing, and clumping are all common problems for abena now.

xpluswearer

Moderated
Role
  1. Incontinent
Nope. Abena used to be great, but a year or two ago they cheapened up their diapers really bad. Now they are a sub-par or mid-grade diaper at best. Tape popping, pinhole leaks, ripped backing, and clumping are all common problems for abena now.
Slomo,
You may have received a bad batch of Abena's . I was fortunate that I ordered my diapers before that batch was made . There was a few runs that were flat out defective. I also recently placed my order to restock The Fed Ex guy is going to get a workout that day I tell ya. seems that half- 3/4 of his truck is just my packages of Diapers. Of course half of the order is Dry 24-7's too . Also ordered a few cases of the DCAmor Pink ones too.

Argent

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent

Have to agree they used to be a pretty solid performer but when they launched that rubbish cloth like backing product (which in Australia was more expensive lol) what was left of there plastic backed range started on the downhill shrinkflation run.

I just used my last pack of M4s (plastic) from a really old run and found them to be ok (very retro basic) but once a company starts cheapening out its over for me buying from them.

tiny

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
The PE-backed Abena Abriforms used to be better. The padding was bulkier, the plastic was thicker, they had an elasticated rear waistband, and they (subjectively) felt better.

But I still rate them. They fit me really well and are much less prone to leaks than any other diaper I've tried (and I've tried a lot).

Maux

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
I'm also not a fan of the clothlike backed one, but I have not noticed a drop off in the plastic ones in all honesty. And when I say I "keep coming back to Abena", it's in an ernest attempt to find something else. I seriously fear the day I log into XP Medical and they no longer have the plastic backed AbriForms still available.

blob

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Back when they were called X-Plus they were great.

When they changed to m4 the quality dropped a bit but they were still good.

About 4 or 5 years ago the quality became much worse, and what was once one of the best products on the market became one of the worst.

someguy26

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
I bought my first pack of Abenas three or four years ago and was unimpressed. Although they were the comfiest diapers I had ever worn, I could only reliably do one heavy wetting. Any more and I started to leak. I recently purchased a second pack because I found then at a good price and decided to give them a second chance and I must say that I've noticed a world if difference. The Abenas hold way more for me now, and I know it wasn't just a bad pack the first time because I still have a few left over from that old pack and I got the same positive result when I tried one of them recently. Maybe it's the result of my body changing, maybe I was bad at taping them back then. I don't know the reason, but Abenas went from a mediocre diaper to an outstanding one for me.

ClickyKeys

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent

Biggest flaw that was getting on my nerves was the padding would seperate completely out from where the buttcrack was, which besides being uncomfortable would case them to flex too much in that area and eventually start tearing from the flexing. The plastic used on diapers can only take so much before starting to structurally fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.