Abena L4 Slip - What’s Happened?!

Slip92

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent
I bought several packs of Abena L4 slips last week (I’m in the IK) and can’t believe how poor they’ve become.
I wear nappies for incontinence and absolutely hammer them most days - the Abena’s of old (plastic and then the cloth) were superb and could last me a whole night or several daytime hours. These newer ones were ready to be binned after 1 wetting as they turned into a nasty saggy papery mess - tried several more since and it’s sadly been the same situation :(

SgtOddball

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur, Little
It can depend, sometimes I've had with the L3s were the tapes can be substandard. It is most likely just going to be that batch, as what tends to happen with these kind of products, one batch can be very different to another.

DanielW

Est. Contributor
Role
Little, Incontinent, Other, Private
They've gradually declined to the point that they are little better than generic brands. Abena used to be my everyday brand, but I switched to ConfiDry 24/7's, until my size went out of production recently. I'm still looking for an economical replacement with a good fit, but its beginning to feel like hunting unicorns.

winterheart01

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Incontinent
same here, I quit using abena when they switched to cotton feel, their tapes didn't stick right, the damp and smell got through like most cotton feel diapers and something that bothered me a lot with abena even when they were still plastic backed is that the absorbant material broke up really fast, and I was basically wetting against the plastic.
I recently started using their abri-san pads for short transit trips and these perform really well, it's almost like they're made by a different company xD

but yes, I too was looking for an economic replacement, ID Slip Maxi prime performs better than the abena L4 but is also cotton feel, and not cheap.
For the exact same price of those ID slips I can get a pack of Betterdry and they're much better.

Molicare: old ones with plastic backing have their absorbant mat breaking up easily too but they wick moist really well. New ones perform better but the center is still very narrow. Main problem here is they're way too expensive over here.

Tena slip Active Fit: comfortable, need faster changes but they're very discreet and a bit pricier than betterdry.

Those are the mainstream brands pharmacies get here, Attends too but they're definitly not worth my money.

blob

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Several rounds of cost cutting over the years have made them garbage, don't waste your money. The X-PLUS was a great product.

Same with the ID Slip mentioned above, they had a fantastic PE backed version and ruined it.

pampers4U

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I bought my first bag of abena M4 11-12 years ago, these were the cats meow of diapers back then, sadly its just been down hill from there, I had 2-3 great years with abena then the product turned to crap, the milestone was when in the US they switched from plastic outer shell to cloth like, about 6 months later with the help of Gary (xp medical) abena did a special run of plastic backed M4's & L4's but the damage was done and the new plastic M4's were not the same as the previous years past ones.
Its really unfortunate, I use to love those diapers, there were thick, had great padding that would hold up to daily routine, strong tapes, good waist bands..ect, now today it seems as though the quality has gone down hill and theres no coming back to the product it use to be, but thankfully we have so many better new diapers out there in the world today.

mayhem

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent
Abena lost their quality over 10 years ago. I long for the day when they pull their heads out of their asses and return them to their former glory.

winterheart01

Est. Contributor
Role
aye, I will never forget the 2003 model, those were top notch diapers!

PampersboyLondon

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
Tens Ultima are the best diaper ever the core is fantastic it feels like pampers and the fit is lovely too they absorb buckets of pee and don’t let the smell out either, even on a warm day or after a long time in them

Calico

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
They've gradually declined to the point that they are little better than generic brands. Abena used to be my everyday brand, but I switched to ConfiDry 24/7's, until my size went out of production recently. I'm still looking for an economical replacement with a good fit, but its beginning to feel like hunting unicorns.
I would recommend Better Dry or Northshore Supreme. They hold well.

Antientmariner

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
same here, I quit using abena when they switched to cotton feel, their tapes didn't stick right, the damp and smell got through like most cotton feel diapers and something that bothered me a lot with abena even when they were still plastic backed is that the absorbant material broke up really fast, and I was basically wetting against the plastic.
I recently started using their abri-san pads for short transit trips and these perform really well, it's almost like they're made by a different company xD

but yes, I too was looking for an economic replacement, ID Slip Maxi prime performs better than the abena L4 but is also cotton feel, and not cheap.
For the exact same price of those ID slips I can get a pack of Betterdry and they're much better.

Molicare: old ones with plastic backing have their absorbant mat breaking up easily too but they wick moist really well. New ones perform better but the center is still very narrow. Main problem here is they're way too expensive over here.

Tena slip Active Fit: comfortable, need faster changes but they're very discreet and a bit pricier than betterdry.

Those are the mainstream brands pharmacies get here, Attends too but they're definitly not worth my money.
Time to switch to dry 24/7 then. They've never let me down. I've tried every diaper on your list. The dry 24/7' Trump every one

winterheart01

Est. Contributor
Role
Time to switch to dry 24/7 then. They've never let me down. I've tried every diaper on your list. The dry 24/7' Trump every one
Dry 24/7 is not available in EU anymore. I intend to switch to betterdry once my old stock is depleted.

woolybobs

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Confidry are impossible to get hold of in Europe now, they were expensive but worth paying for the supreme quality.

Honeywell6180

Contributor
Role
Private
I would go for the ABUniverse Cushies or SDK in the small size. The SDKs are on sale, at 15% off. They never run out of stock on the small size, and the quality is very high. Absorbency wise, the ABU products will perform very well, at least as good as the discontinued small 24/7s. ABUniverse has enough of their small sized products to last at least 10 years, maybe even 20 because the demand is so low compared to their supply on hand. Their medium size, which is the most popular, is an entirely different situation, as those sell out within a few days after being stocked.

The primary reason Dry Care discontinued their small size, is lack of warehouse space. Demand was so low that it just would not make economic sense to continue with their production. An adult with a 26" waist can just as easily fit into a Pampers Size 7, and have something that is not only breathable, but also very discrete. And for this reason, nearly everything available at the local drug store is a medium size or larger, with Goodnites filling in the gap. There are plenty of better options for a smaller adult, besides what ABUniverse offers, and I believe this is why they can't find enough buyers for their small sizes. There is no profit in making them, so they should have been discontinued a long time ago.

Topex

Est. Contributor
Role
Little
An adult with a 26" waist can just as easily fit into a Pampers Size 7, and have something that is not only breathable, but also very discrete. And for this reason, nearly everything available at the local drug store is a medium size or larger, with Goodnites filling in the gap. There are plenty of better options for a smaller adult, besides what ABUniverse offers, and I believe this is why they can't find enough buyers for their small sizes. There is no profit in making them, so they should have been discontinued a long time ago.
I doubt with almost complete certainty that "adults can fit into Pampers Size 7" is the reason drug stores carry only medium size or larger. No, Pampers Size 7 won't fit an adult since they're made for small children, even at a 26" waist you can try and maybe get it to stay on but I'd hardly call it a fit, and nearly all of the general public who need these kinds of products and are adults wouldn't be wanting or even choosing to wear baby diapers. Plus, they wouldn't be even nearing the absorbency many people would need. I also know that my local drug stores and even grocery stores carry small or S/M sizes in at least some of the brands for adult diapers, as well as in general at least one option for medical-oriented youth diapers, so the lack of small diapers is not universal. I'm confident they're still turning a profit on them (I'm sure there are lots of petite adults and know for a fact there are a good deal of older special needs children who use them)