ABDL Swim Diapers and Pull-ups

ChristianDiaperLover

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Little
I’m so surprised that the ABDL community has a lot of options of ABDL brand diapers yet the companies who make them haven’t even tried to go further and try making ABDL swim diapers and pull-ups. I know some have tried making pull-ups in the past but they sounded like they were terrible in quality. All the companies have to do is just make them the same way they make their diapers except just in a pull-up fashion. And disposable ABDL swim diapers shouldn’t be that hard as well. I don’t know why this hasn’t been attempted yet. Just feels like the companies don’t want to try to hard with products that aren’t just normal tab diapers. Don’t get me wrong I prefer a diaper over a pull-up but it would be nice to see pull-ups as a choice for some ABDLs. What’s your guy’s thoughts?

Reactions: bigtoddler96
If the ABDL diaper companies were to start making some ABDL disposable training pants, then those training pants should have a lot of padding, high absorbency and babyish prints. I think that ABDL training pants are more likely to come out than ABDL swim diapers, because of the way swim diapers are made, unlike regular diapers and training pants.

Reactions: MarshallfromPawPatrol and ChristianDiaperLover
Rearz has several washable swim diapers!

So here's the thing, adult proportions, pee volume, and fit expectations are just way different than that of kids. There's a reason that most abdl nappies are 4 tape, and on the 2 tape diapers the tapes are very wide. You can't just scale up the exact design of a baby product and call it a day. Can't remember who it was but one of the ABDL companies mentioned that it's hard to make a pull-up that the abdl community would actually like because they basically wouldn't stay up while being able to take adult wettings.

Also, unfortunately, some of the tech and designs that pullup manufacturers use that we may want to emulate are proprietary.

I'm still keen to see something but it's unlikely we ever get anything that closely matches the vibe of a proper pull-up

Last edited:
Reactions: ChristianDiaperLover
I’ve never understand how swim nappies can work at all, surely anything absorbent under water is just going to the soak water up no mater how waterproof I would of thought it would seep in under the top or around the leg hole

Seabear said:
I’ve never understand how swim nappies can work at all, surely anything absorbent under water is just going to the soak water up no mater how waterproof I would of thought it would seep in under the top or around the leg hole
They aren't absorbent at all they just hold #2

Last edited:
distract said:
They aren't absorbent at all they just hold #2
Oh that makes sense thanks, not sure I would want to try one though even if they did do adult ones, it could go horribly wrong!

There's two primary things that are responsible for this lack of good pull-ups- patents, and production.

Patents take 20 years to expire, so unless you're Kimberly-Clark or Proctor & Gamble, your diapers are either going to be 20 years behind, or highly innovative (in which case, you might get bought just for your patents, putting everyone else back to square one.)

In either case, almost all abdl diapers at the moment are manufactured in China- they've got the industrial equipment to do it, and can do it cheaply. That's the reason why across multiple abdl brands, you'll notice the same style tapes, elastic waist bands, et cetera- they're all made by the same handful of suppliers. There's outliers to this, like Thrust Vector, but they still suffer from the same patent issue.

Take positional print diapers as an example- the technology isn't new, so why did a handful of abdl brands suddenly introduce them as a product now around the same time? well, around 20 years ago, baby diapers were getting their first positional prints on a scale that was sustainable.

So, in regards to pull-ups, patent expiration is the issue. The same companies that manufacture the very high quality abdl diapers also offer pull-up options, but they all have those terrible granny-panty style elastics because the patents are only just now expiring in various stages for "modern" swim diapers. This patent for Pull-Ups sides is from 2009, and thus won't be expiring until 2029... ouch. Many similar useful patents expire anywhere from then to 2030, so, we're sort of just floating until then, no pun intended.

In my own diaper-company pursuits, I'm trying to figure out a way around these patents, whether it means inventing a new production process, licensing something similar, or whatever else. If none of that is possible, then basically we're not gonna see any good ABDL pull-ups (including swim diapers- there's patents on more advanced leg cuffs and such as well) for 5 to 10 years, unless there's some older patents I've missed. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

AquaticDiapers said:
There's two primary things that are responsible for this lack of good pull-ups- patents, and production.

Patents take 20 years to expire, so unless you're Kimberly-Clark or Proctor & Gamble, your diapers are either going to be 20 years behind, or highly innovative (in which case, you might get bought just for your patents, putting everyone else back to square one.)

In either case, almost all abdl diapers at the moment are manufactured in China- they've got the industrial equipment to do it, and can do it cheaply. That's the reason why across multiple abdl brands, you'll notice the same style tapes, elastic waist bands, et cetera- they're all made by the same handful of suppliers. There's outliers to this, like Thrust Vector, but they still suffer from the same patent issue.

Take positional print diapers as an example- the technology isn't new, so why did a handful of abdl brands suddenly introduce them as a product now around the same time? well, around 20 years ago, baby diapers were getting their first positional prints on a scale that was sustainable.

So, in regards to pull-ups, patent expiration is the issue. The same companies that manufacture the very high quality abdl diapers also offer pull-up options, but they all have those terrible granny-panty style elastics because the patents are only just now expiring in various stages for "modern" swim diapers. This patent for Pull-Ups sides is from 2009, and thus won't be expiring until 2029... ouch. Many similar useful patents expire anywhere from then to 2030, so, we're sort of just floating until then, no pun intended.

In my own diaper-company pursuits, I'm trying to figure out a way around these patents, whether it means inventing a new production process, licensing something similar, or whatever else. If none of that is possible, then basically we're not gonna see any good ABDL pull-ups (including swim diapers- there's patents on more advanced leg cuffs and such as well) for 5 to 10 years, unless there's some older patents I've missed. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(
I did some more digging regarding this and found some good news! We might be getting Pull-Ups style sides sooner than I thought.
There's three things to go over here: granny-panty side construction, Pull-Ups side construction, and the material design for Pull-Ups sides.
1682166379655.png
Most adult pull-ups on the market today use this design, which came from Kimberly-Clark, patent USD438614S1. It was filed in 1999, and expired in 2015, which was around when we started seeing those adult pull-ups with these designs (other than the brands already owned by Kimberly-Clark, like Depend)

Pull-Ups, and other Huggies style diapers like Goodnites, Little Movers Slip-Ons, et cetera, use variations of this design, also patented in 1999 but only expiring very recently, in 2019.
1682166685195.png
I'm not sure of an exact patent because there was a slew of patents surrounding this design that came out in 1999, many of which have very recently still been listed by Kimberly-Clark as used in their products, but the gist of it is that the patent only expired in 1999. Furthermore, there are some later advancements to the design, like non-irritating seams, that are separate patents which have not yet expired or only expired last year.

So, within the next year or two, we might start seeing adult pull-up style diapers which incorporate this Pull-Ups design.

However, it's still a maybe, because the material the Pull-Ups sides are made out of is still under patent until 2028. I can't find the patent for the material used before 2008, but that's the material that's been used since then on the tabs, and it has a higher strength. In other words, an adult pull-up with the Pull-Ups design might not have enough strength without the newer composite, or it being thicker, or something, and regardless, it will still be the very old style design from the late 90s and early 00s.

I hope these various patents expiring within the past year or two allow for manufacturers to start looking at more modern side panel designs! Pull-ups are not terrible in theory, and I believe it would be a very good thing for all people, not just ABDLs, for these designs to be made available.

YES - It would be very nice to have something like that to wear 🥰

Reactions: bigtoddler96
BabyJackJack said:
Rearz has several washable swim diapers!
I have the Mermaid Tails swim diaper

Last edited:
Reactions: PaddedRita
Distract,

Your post, and AquaticDiaper's as well, have some truth but have some industry norm rhetoric as well. Please don't take this personal but I'm going to pick apart your post to shed a bit more light on this.

distract said:
So here's the thing, adult proportions, pee volume, and fit expectations are just way different than that of kids.
Children have multiple body shapes just like adults do. Skinny, tall, short, chubby. Their shapes are not that different from adults than people assume. For every adult you can find a child that can fit a baby diaper that is proportionally similar. What you and others say is what the industry tells us so they don't have to upgrade their extremely expensive machines that were most likely stamped out in the 80's. The extra volume can be easily handled by a properly designed product. More on that below.

distract said:
You can't just scale up the exact design of a baby product and call it a day.
You can and I have proven it. Oh yeah! I'm linkin' the article again!

This links directly to the scaled up baby diaper creation and results. If you find it interesting I recommend reading the whole article. It's basically the progression from where I started modifying many years ago to what I do now after learning that all we have been told are pretty much lies.

distract said:
Can't remember who it was but one of the ABDL companies mentioned that it's hard to make a pull-up that the abdl community would actually like because they basically wouldn't stay up while being able to take adult wettings.
Difficult but not impossible. NorthShore Go Supreme have the potential to hold a lot. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. The product quality is very inconsistent. When they do they stay up fairly well. With a bit heavier duty elastic, a full size pad and more space between the leg elastics and padding they would be the ultimate adult pullup. They would need to be cut a bit lower in the rise too. they don't need to go up past your belly button to be able to stay up. And if you're plus size, no, they won't. But chunky kids have the same problem. Pull ups and diapers just don't stay up all that good.

distract said:
Also, unfortunately, some of the tech and designs that pullup manufacturers use that we may want to emulate are proprietary.
Yes and no. Yes there are patents but if you root around you'll see both P&G and KC have similar patents. They simply had good attorneys that carefully constructed those patents to be able to overlap but not infringe. The adult diaper distributers could easily do the same. The real issue is that all of these products are being manufactured on extremely expensive machines that the manufacturers don't want to retool. Pull ups for adults were meant for a very narrow audience that only dribble occasionally. After they were created came the desire for patients that weren't completely incontinent and wanted more independence with higher absorbency products that could be easily removed and reapplied. Basically the industry missed the boat and alienated a large group with the initial designs they came up with. Now we're stuck with them. It does seem that some manufacturers are starting to come around and invest in their product though. We are seeing diapers with clothlike backing, hook and loop fasteners and a few nicely done stretchy sides. I'm thinking within the next 10 years we might see some changes that actually improve the fit and function of adult pullups.

Seabear said:
I've gone swimming in few different nappies, I've find the nappies acted like a vacuum, if i leave it alone and its on tight enough around, my nappies acted like a swim nappy for a fair while

Reactions: Seabear and ChristianDiaperLover
I don't like how all the existing adult pull-ups are too thin and don't have enough padding and absorbency. Hopefully, the ABDL diaper companies can fix the design flaws of adult pull-ups by making high-absorbent ABDL training pants that are thick and have more padding that goes all the way to the top instead of stopping in the middle. I wish that I'm able to simply pull up a diaper without having to use tapes and worrying about leaking after one wetting.

I would just like adult swim diapers to have cute designs on them as well as adult pull-ups

Reactions: MarshallfromPawPatrol and lilbabyjooce
Back