PooMinara

No DMs please
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Sissy
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
I wonder if anyone has a theory - or a set of theories - that can describe the vast differences between individual ABDL experiences. I'm thinking of those who live an elaborate ABDL lifestyle on one hand, and on the other hand those who might just occasionally jerk of in a nappy / diaper or wear one for comfort when the situation allows it (and obviously anyone in between the two extremes).

Sure, generally speaking it can be explained by individual 'circumstances', 'needs' etc. But to me that appears like an over-simplification that treats the human mind as something that is static and immutable. Circumstances change, and often people can - within limits - change their own circumstances. Equally, a person's needs can change over time. The above formula also fails to address the factor of happiness or discontent with one's own situation and the desire for (or fear of) change, instead treating everyone as if they are living exactly the life they want (which we know is often very much not the case).

So what is it that drives us and influences our decision-making process? Can the question even be answered unambiguously?

littleph0enix

The Right Honourable Lordship Of Giggles?!
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Other
I think I am a middle ground in this, if I was not going to get to deep in to stuff I think it was more or less my curiosity/ this want to try. Like that's all I needed to try things here and there and then move on to do more even more. curiosity started it all really and I am so thankful for it

Dragon64

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
There are just so many variables and the most random or unexpected things can make someone interested in or even obsessed with diapers and or being little.

I use to have a total dislike of diapers even cringing at diaper commercials, but then when I was in middle school I had a weird dream where I was in a situation where wearing a diaper made total sense and the next morning I suddenly had an interest in diapers which then became an obsession.

Reactions: PooMinara

PooMinara

No DMs please
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Sissy
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
Dragon64 said:
There are just so many variables and the most random or unexpected things can make someone interested in or even obsessed with diapers and or being little.

I use to have a total dislike of diapers even cringing at diaper commercials, but then when I was in middle school I had a weird dream where I was in a situation where wearing a diaper made total sense and the next morning I suddenly had an interest in diapers which then became an obsession.

That's really interesting, thank you for sharing! Dreams can be incredibly powerful.

Anemone

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
  3. Little
  4. Other
Our drives and influences are essentially the same as anyone else's if you zoom out far enough. ABDL is an arbitrary and subjective category, it has no intrinsic core of reason.

Belarin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
I think a lot of the differences do come from each persons individual experiences while growing up, maybe parents were abusive so ABDL is about finding security and that missing love, or maybe someone was over babied as a child and now as an adult they need to escape back to that time when adulting becomes too much, maybe they were a bedwetter for a prolonged time and how they were treated during that has led them to where they are now. It could be that they discovered diapers during puberty and so a sexual attraction developed but if that person had discovered diapers later in life it would not be so sexually charged.

Each person's past definitely has an influence on the choices they make as ABDL but you're right there is more to it than that, as you say people change over time.

I always thought of myself as DL in the early days, When I discovered ABDL stuff online I thought some of the AB things were cute and enjoyed seeing/reading about it but never really thinking the AB side could be part of my life I still focused more on the diapers than what people were doing in them. Then I started to experiment with little space and being little myself and had some fun, I enjoyed it for a while but it didn't really click with me. Now I see myself as DL with an interest in the CG side and maybe very slight AB tendencies

So our past experiences growing up may lead us to ABDL but the choices you then make and the things you are exposed to as you continue on that path determine where you end up. We are also influenced by those around us, if you are completely DL but hang around with people who are AB you are more likely to begin finding an interest in that and depending on what you see, read, hear etc. will determine how you explore that side and what you enjoy. For example, even when exploring littlespace myself I never really got into the whole paci thing, I have a whole bunch of them but can't keep them in for more than like 30 mins it feels wierd, but as a child I was very rarly given one and so they are not part of my experience.

I don't think there is or ever will be a definitive answer to what drives us and why there are so many differences between us all, there are just too many things that can influence a person and even the same influence can affect each person in a different way based on their experiences.

Reactions: littleph0enix