ABDL businesses

RubberJin said:
I disagree with Topex about needing a loan - enough successful startups have begun with one person burning the midnight oil and their own hard-earned cash to create a concept/prototype and even get the basic business up & running, and IMHO this is the route most suited to littlekyro's idea - I'll explain;

The idea is to make some fairly basic items of clothing, albeit for a niche market. The volumes will be low, initially very low, so he does not need to design or tool-up for mass production - this can be a "person at a sewing machine" creation unless and until it really takes off.

So, you don't need piles of cash to order miles of fabric and gear up a factory full of people and machines - you can find the nearest willing person who's skilled with a sewing machine and who'll work for a bit of cash to knock up a few examples for you. This could be as simple as shopping round people on etsy who are turning out textile work until one agrees to help you, ideally one who'd be willing and able to take on some regular orders if stuff took off. Cost - very little.
However, the OP specifically said that he has no clothing experience and couldn't make a prototype and was thinking of raising 30-50k just to hire some people to make the prototype(s)

littlekyro said:
well I tried looking for investers but it seems none want anything to do with an ABDL business which is a shame
You're unlikely to get investors even outside of an ABDL business without a prototype and knowledge of the field and a clear cut business plan. And if you don't think you can get a loan nor are you willing to put your own money into it, idk where you think this can go

Topex said:
You're unlikely to get investors even outside of an ABDL business without a prototype and knowledge of the field and a clear cut business plan. And if you don't think you can get a loan nor are you willing to put your own money into it, idk where you think this can go
well I can't make a prototype without having to employ others to make it. I don't know how to make clothes myself, I know how to conduct the business side, such as meetings running the logistical side, human resources and I can't do that with the budget I have

I've got a wicked nice sewing machine I'd part with for the right price. A Mitsubishi ls120 with the controller, and 1hp Mitsubishi motor.

littlekyro said:
well I can't make a prototype without having to employ others to make it. I don't know how to make clothes myself, I know how to conduct the business side, such as meetings running the logistical side, human resources and I can't do that with the budget I have
Which is why I suggest you don't get into starting your own clothing business

subietodd said:
I've got a wicked nice sewing machine I'd part with for the right price. A Mitsubishi ls120 with the controller, and 1hp Mitsubishi motor.
well the main things needed is talent AKA human resources AKA employees a store to run the business out of plus making deals with outside assets for designs and more and setting up distribution, hopefully if I can find a funding method ie GoFundMe payoff or invester who is interested, I will cover many bases for funding that won't involve a bank looking over my shoulder and being in debt with them should my business fail. also we'd need to establish the prototypes and then have them customised to fit better on a subject to ensure maxiumum comfort and babyishness

Topex said:
Which is why I suggest you don't get into starting your own clothing business
well I like to think of this is the first roadbump we can't get anywhere playing it safe, harder the struggle the more you learn and the more you grow, I like the challenge this presents because it gives me a chance to be creative about it

littlekyro said:
well the main things needed is talent AKA human resources AKA employees a store to run the business out of plus making deals with outside assets for designs and more and setting up distribution, hopefully if I can find a funding method ie GoFundMe payoff or invester who is interested, I will cover many bases for funding that won't involve a bank looking over my shoulder and being in debt with them should my business fail. also we'd need to establish the prototypes and then have them customised to fit better on a subject to ensure maxiumum comfort and babyishness
You're basically saying "I need money, money, and more money", none of which you've found. GoFundMe is not going to get you anywhere for a niche business like this which is not distinctive and when you don't have anything to show for it (a prototype). Investors are not going to bite without a prototype: they need to see that they're going to get their money back. In a niche business that tbf is seen as part of the fetish scene and without any prototype, etc. no investor in their right mind is going to bite. Most small businesses need to take out a loan at some point--the fact that you aren't even willing to do this and put your money into it shows you don't have faith in your business.

littlekyro said:
well I like to think of this is the first roadbump we can't get anywhere playing it safe, harder the struggle the more you learn and the more you grow, I like the challenge this presents because it gives me a chance to be creative about it
This isn't a bump, it's a wall. You don't have money or expertise or a business plan or opportunity or a distinctive product. I know lots of people are going to push the entrepreneurial spirit, but you have to know when you have nothing and to stop wasting your time

Last edited:
You'll be lucky to raise $50 from GoFundMe or other crowd funding, much less $50k. Likewise no investor is going to invest in something where you've got no skin in the game.
These strict banking laws you keep speaking of, no where does that mean that you can't get a loan. Almost guaranteed every sleezy strip joint and smut shop at some point has taken out a business loan. Banks don't care about the what. They care that you have all your ducks in a row and can demonstrate that you have an actual real business and not some pipe dream or scam.
It's the same story here in Canada. If you want a small business loan, you're going to have to write up a proper business plan where you've done actual market research to determine if anyone is willing to buy what you are selling, actual estimated start up cost and profit projections, case studies, a rough timeline of when you expect to become profitable based on those projections, your plan for dealing with logistics and supply chain, marketing strategy, and proof that you have the resources to actually pull it off. Basically you need more than "gonna hire some guys to make a prototype then sell it to people in my store".
Banks are risk averse and most small businesses fail even when there is a solid plan and solid people behind it, but they are still willing to take a weighted risk, it's the business they are in after all.
Here in Canada, the BDC has a pretty good example template for a business plan. I have to assume your country has similar. Even if you don't plan to apply for a loan, at least fill it out just as an exercise. You'll note that its quite long, but if you can't invest the time to fill in the blanks, there is no way you'll be able to make a business work.

Last edited:
Topex said:
You're basically saying "I need money, money, and more money", none of which you've found. GoFundMe is not going to get you anywhere for a niche business like this which is not distinctive and when you don't have anything to show for it (a prototype). Investors are not going to bite without a prototype: they need to see that they're going to get their money back. In a niche business that tbf is seen as part of the fetish scene and without any prototype, etc. no investor in their right mind is going to bite. Most small businesses need to take out a loan at some point--the fact that you aren't even willing to do this and put your money into it shows you don't have faith in your business.

This isn't a bump, it's a wall. You don't have money or expertise or a business plan or opportunity or a distinctive product. I know lots of people are going to push the entrepreneurial spirit, but you have to know when you have nothing and to stop wasting your time
no its a bump in the road because regardless eventually i'll find a means of funding regardless, even if it means finding a business partner I said I was covering all my bases that don't lead to me being in debt with the bank, I may fail more times but eventually I will succeed, i'm not naïve, I've just got many contingencies lined up incase one fails besides we don't exatly know what people are going to do when they see it when I share the link around you may think its gonna fail but then again I can always say your a pessimist while I'm an optimist and I have $0 to put forth in this my bank account is literally almost dry I don't have the funds. I however do have faith in people and am optimistic about it but please don't confuse it with naivety

Last edited:
littlekyro said:
no its a bump in the road because regardless eventually i'll find a means of funding regardless, even if it means finding a business partner I said I was covering all my bases that don't lead to me being in debt with the bank, I may fail more times but eventually I will succeed, i'm not naïve, I've just got many contingencies lined up incase one fails besides we don't exatly know what people are going to do when they see it when I share the link around you may think its gonna fail but then again I can always say your a pessimist while I'm an optimist and I have $0 to put forth in this my bank account is literally almost dry I don't have the funds. I however do have faith in people and am optimistic about it but please don't confuse it with naivety
You've exhausted all the means of funding and I doubt you'll find a business partner. You're not just naive, but in complete denial. When people pull the "you're a pessimist, I'm an optimist" I always respond the same way: I'm a realist. Faith doesn't get you 50k

Last edited:
Topex said:
You've exhausted all the means of funding and I doubt you'll find a business partner. You're not just naive, but in complete denial. When people pull the "you're a pessimist, I'm an optimist" I always respond the same way: I'm a realist. Faith doesn't get you 50k
well your wrong about that I've not talked to everyone who could bankroll this endever once I exhaust the pool of each funding means then you can say that, if you were a realest you would give suggestions that could help me point me to investers or potential business partners

littlekyro said:
well your wrong about that I've not talked to everyone who could bankroll this endever once I exhaust the pool of each funding means then you can say that, if you were a realest you would give suggestions that could help me point me to investers or potential business partners
If you haven't caught on yet that no one will grab after what you've already done you shouldn't need to try to talk to everyone. Remember that investors and banks need to see that they'll get their money back. You don't have a prototype or any proof of concept, no business plan, no experience in the clothing space, and none of your own money in it. No one will want to get in on that. You say you know business but somehow you still can't seem to understand this. I can't give you suggestions to point you towards potential investors or business partners because you're not going to find any

Topex, Bound Coder and RubberJin have told the OP the bare truth from an entrepreneurial standpoint. There's a line in an old Rod Stewart song that I've found helpful in these situations: "Ain't no point in talkin' when there's nobody listenin'."

littlekyro said:
well the main things needed is talent AKA human resources AKA employees a store to run the business out of plus making deals with outside assets for designs and more and setting up distribution
You still haven't answered my questions / points / suggestions...

For a startup like this you absolutely DO NOT and SHOULD NOT need to be employing people and renting premises just to take the first step / get to the first sale.

OK you can't fly a sewing machine but that doesn't mean taking on staff - it means outsourcing a small task to someone with a sewing machine and a bit of experience.

You're using lots of business terms which sound like they're straight out of some textbook aimed at very different businesses, possibly from a very different era - you don't need to be thinking about human resources, premises, distribution, bank loans and whatnot, you need to get from zero to a minimum viable product & online presence with the absolute minimum of outlay.

I'm not an entrepreneur but I've worked for a few and also refused to work for quite a few, the business we're in we get people phone us up with brilliant ideas for products fairly often and it's usually the case that their great idea doesn't survive first contact with someone who actually knows their stuff. From there it goes two ways - either they listen to what they're told, take it on board and go away to think more carefully, or they dismiss us as negative / not forward-looking and keep ploughing on until they find someone less ethical / more "forward thinking" who will happily take their money to develop something that's utterly doomed.

Likewise, the bank etc. won't loan you money for this and if you shop round until you find someone who WILL give you 10k, 30k, 50k... it'll only be because their terms will have you by the short & curlies and they win big whether you succeed or fail.

I've also got friends who have taken small "spare bedroom" businesses from a tiny hobby to significant established businessess with employees, premises, and large turnovers, and they didn't do any of the stuff you're trying to do, so I do have some knowledge of that process and I'm trying to communicate it to you here.

Reactions: Trevor
Topex said:
If you haven't caught on yet that no one will grab after what you've already done you shouldn't need to try to talk to everyone. Remember that investors and banks need to see that they'll get their money back. You don't have a prototype or any proof of concept, no business plan, no experience in the clothing space, and none of your own money in it. No one will want to get in on that. You say you know business but somehow you still can't seem to understand this. I can't give you suggestions to point you towards potential investors or business partners because you're not going to find any
well I've only started looking weighing individual options and there's many out there. i'm covering all my bases because in the event the business collapses I don't want to be stuck in debt because I know where that leads

RubberJin said:
You still haven't answered my questions / points / suggestions...

For a startup like this you absolutely DO NOT and SHOULD NOT need to be employing people and renting premises just to take the first step / get to the first sale.

OK you can't fly a sewing machine but that doesn't mean taking on staff - it means outsourcing a small task to someone with a sewing machine and a bit of experience.

You're using lots of business terms which sound like they're straight out of some textbook aimed at very different businesses, possibly from a very different era - you don't need to be thinking about human resources, premises, distribution, bank loans and whatnot, you need to get from zero to a minimum viable product & online presence with the absolute minimum of outlay.

I'm not an entrepreneur but I've worked for a few and also refused to work for quite a few, the business we're in we get people phone us up with brilliant ideas for products fairly often and it's usually the case that their great idea doesn't survive first contact with someone who actually knows their stuff. From there it goes two ways - either they listen to what they're told, take it on board and go away to think more carefully, or they dismiss us as negative / not forward-looking and keep ploughing on until they find someone less ethical / more "forward thinking" who will happily take their money to develop something that's utterly doomed.

Likewise, the bank etc. won't loan you money for this and if you shop round until you find someone who WILL give you 10k, 30k, 50k... it'll only be because their terms will have you by the short & curlies and they win big whether you succeed or fail.

I've also got friends who have taken small "spare bedroom" businesses from a tiny hobby to significant established businessess with employees, premises, and large turnovers, and they didn't do any of the stuff you're trying to do, so I do have some knowledge of that process and I'm trying to communicate it to you here.
i don't think you quite understand it. i'm not just talking about the prototypes i'm talking about step one findining someone to make the prototypes now no one will want to do that for free they want to be payed ie employed. step 2 and on is presenting prototypes establishing a store ie leas or having one built and there's other steps after that and in between but those are the big ones to take

sbmccue said:
Topex, Bound Coder and RubberJin have told the OP the bare truth from an entrepreneurial standpoint. There's a line in an old Rod Stewart song that I've found helpful in these situations: "Ain't no point in talkin' when there's nobody listenin'."
well no one has presented options for me to speed the prosess up that doesn't leave me in debt in worst case scenario I cant get a loan don't want debt to my name nor will the banks give me one for this kind of business, not just because of that its a fetish one its targeted group is far too small for it to be on their margin of success also

You are dealing with a small market with a lot of competition. A store front is too expensive to maintain. Work from home and produce a product that everyone could use.

I knew someone eons ago who had a catalog of household items. When you sent him your order by mail, he would send a check and his mailing label to the manufacturer and they would drop ship the item to you. The only item in his house was the catalogues. Now we use the internet and things are still drop shipped.

Reactions: RubberJin
Me and my wife baby boys & girls if you choose it. You'll sign a contract stating what you want done to you and how long you want to be the baby. You will print your name and sign your signature. We will print our names and sign it. (the contract is there so we can't get sued) Our kids will be more than happy to be your New Big Brothers.

We've been doing this for about 12 yrs now and no problems, even some babies that have returned.

Last edited:
Back