AB/DL Parent Question #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
We've all said it. "Why did I give them up?" Well this crossed my mind earlier today. We all wish that we hadn't have given up our diapers and I was wondering because your a *B parent would you incurage or want your kids to try to stay in diapers as long as possible? Instead of giving up diapers at 2 or 3 would you like your child to be in them intil 4 or 5 and in some rare cases as old as 6 and still in diapers?

As for myself I wouldn't mind if my kid didn't give up diapers intil they turned 4 or so. If they get to 4 and still don't show interest in potty training I would try to casually get them interesting but wouldn't force them like some parents do. To me, it's the child's desition when they want to give up diapers and not the parents.

miles

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I'd try to get them to be as "normal" as possible.
I don't want to influence them in any way about diapers.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
It's kind of a judgement call as to when to start getting them off diapers. It's hard to explain, but you can just tell from how your child reacts/adjusts to sitting on a pot, or doesn't adjust, whether they're ready to start being trained. As I've mentioned before, every child matures at a different rate. I would never force them to train if they weren't showing signs of being ready, even if it took until 3 or 4 years of age. On the flip side, I wouldn't keep them in diapers if they appeared ready to grasp the concept of learning to use the pot at an earlier age. It doesn't take long to determine whether they're ready or not. Being an AB parent didn't influence me in any way with timing when to start their potty training. As a responsible parent, which you are first and foremost, you really shouldn't ever let it.

~Pramrider

dprdinky

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Carer
You have to be normal with kids no matter what. I don't feel it's right to force your wishes on a child (wanting them to be in diapers for a longer period of time), although a parent really can't force anything on their kids. Give them time to make up their own mind when they are ready.

Mitsukuni

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Diaperfur, Sissy
I would start potty training around the age of 3 with my child, that's when I learned. I wouldn't *force* them to do it, but I'd offer rewards if they did it, such as, if they did it for two days, I'd take them out for ice cream, etc.

Hex

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy
[font="Calibri,Arial"]I would toilet train them normally. If they happened to be a tb, I wouldn't mind but I can't imagine it being likely.[/font]

Mitsukuni619

Moderated
Role
Babyfur, Diaperfur,
There is no point in forcing your child to stay in/get out of diapers
at this early age, i would just let them hang loose, occasionally giving them gentle reminders that "if you need to go you need to go" ^-^

Peace
Master L

Nam Repaid

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I would hope they potty train as any other kid, being different Is a burden I would not want them to bear at that age. If they became AB/DL in their teens I would try to look the other way unless they wen't overboard.
Nam

FluffyFluffers

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur, Sissy
I'm going to beat my ideals into my kids that my wife will have with a stick....:D

Come on people I'm not serious I'm gay and if i did get kids I would potty train them normally.:p

spacemanBEN

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
I certainly would not put any pressure on my children to toilet train as all kids eventually reach the point where they're ready for it. There's no reason for trying to force it upon them before this really. I would however encourage using the toilet. I assume I might become quite worried if my child was four or more and still wearing diapers in which case I would encourage it to a larger degree.

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
first off.... If the child starts hiding to go to the bathroom, its obvious that he/she has some idea of when they get the urge. Knowing "its coming" is a good idea of when to introduce the concept of toilet training. Some parents immediately stop diapers cold turkey and do nothing but pullups. I think it should be weaned into the child's routine, say 1 in 5 days in a pullup--- adding more days if the pullup session was sucessful, staying the same if not(all this over the course of a months). Think of it as any other type of training to do a new thing---I mean people training for their first marathon don't start out running 25 miles a day.... I would think a child would become burnt out if all you did was drill potty training 24/7, which could be a really good reason why a lot of kids train so late now. I myself was trained in 24 hours, but my parents said I explicitly asked to be trained(...a lot of good that did). If you make it a fun game, I think in the end the child want to be good and win at the game(i.e. getting a new toy/trips to the park/special treats).

Even from an AB/DL's viewpoint I think that children past the age of 2.5 HAVE the necessary mental and physical awareness to attempt potty training. This notion of the potty trained "elimination communication" infant fad is completely ridiculous.

In the end, its your child and I think we all would want the smoothest possible transition for any of our children as they potty train.

Eulogy

ADISC Moderator
Staff
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
I'd rather try and keep my personal feelings on this issue out of my kids life, help them be normal(Abnormality at young ages can cause both good and bad things, better to be safe and avoid it imo)

Z

Zeit

I'd encourage potty training at the normal age which would be around 2-2.5. Just because I happen to have my personal quirks about it doesn't mean I can't be a serious parent about it.

Besides changing kids diapers really isn't all that glorious. It'd be nice if I didn't have to past 3 years old.

mizzycub

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I'd try to encourage it when the child came across as ready. I don't feel you should force it upon the child, though prolonging it because of your personal idiosyncracies just seems wrong to me. I wouldn't be aiming for a particular age, just whatever age the child seems ready. The problem in the UK is that primary schools, or even nursery schools (like kindergarten) usually refuse to change diapers, which mean that the child needs to be out of them by 3, or 4 at the latest. A late developer would probably have quite a few problems getting a place in school and so on.

When you have a child, the childs needs should come first, as long as you are not actually harming yourself in the process. The best thing for the child is to train them when they are ready for it, as opposed to when you want to. It doesn't harm you, doing it when they are ready, so that is what you should do.

BabyJesus

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
I would let them grow out of diapers naturally, encouraging frequent toilet use.

virgindiaperboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy
I'm not a parent, but, I do want to say that I "think" (not sure) that most schools have a potty-trained policy before a child is admitted to kindergarten. I suppose unless a doctor gave a note. I'm pretty confident that this is the case but I don't know for sure.

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
I'm not a parent, but, I do want to say that I "think" (not sure) that most schools have a potty-trained policy before a child is admitted to kindergarten. I suppose unless a doctor gave a note. I'm pretty confident that this is the case but I don't know for sure.
That seems possible but we have a member on here that wasn't fully out of diapers intil 7 so I don't know.

Talula

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I've lived in a house with children being potty trained, and as a babysitter I've been through it then as well. All I can say is that you just *know* when a child is ready. And sometimes it takes some children longer than others, and there's nearly always an accident or two to clean up, the best you can do is hope its on linoleum or wood, and not the nice new carpet.

I wouldn't force my children to potty train, although I would encourage toilet use as and when they're ready.

BearCub22

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
It sounds like you want then to be DL's their whole lives and this is not fair to them. No matter how much you might enjoy seeing them, or changing, them in diapers. Us all wearing them is still a little wierd and the last thing I want is to push it onto my children. Plus I'm not keen on changing a diaper. I have not yet in my life. I half understand what you want out of keeping your kids in diapers, but as most have said keep your influence on wearing to a minium. Remember other kids are cruel and if a friend of your child finds out he is a "late bloomer" to toilet training then its all done for him/her.

Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
This is a touchy issue because as some of the veteran members know I had some really traumatic expeirance from potty training. So because of that I am 100% for letting the child decide when their ready and only guiding them in the right direction.

For example, I would not say a single word about potty training until 2 years and 6 months, which at that age I would introduce the potty to them and explain to them the purpose and so on. If they seemed scared or resistant I would drop the issue until they turned 3 and then try to get them to use a little kids plastic potty. Of course I would only verbally encourage them, and maybe sit them on it once, just to show them how to use it. I would never make them sit on it, for any reason after that. If the kid kept showing no interest I would keep repeating this cycle, just verbally encouraging the kid and keeping a kids potty in the bathroom for easy access. I would be okay with them being in diapers up until 5 years old at the latest. Beyond that I would be resistant to have them still in diapers, but if was to go beyond 5 years old, when they start kindergarden I would teach them how to change themselfs because I defiantly would not be doing it when they start school. Plus they would need to know how to do it themselfs so they can change at school.

So all in all, I would be hopeful for them to potty train sometime between the age of 2 years 6 months and 3 years 6 months. If it goes beyond that then so be it, I do not see anything wrong with it if the kid is presistant with staying in diapers. Also like I said, the day they turned 6 years old would be the day I stop changing them, if their still in diapers then, which I hope to God not.

Status
Not open for further replies.