AB and religious beliefs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotoX

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent
I am Catholic (which is Christian contrary to most people beliefs) and a diaper lover. I am no theologian or anything but I do feel like I grasp the faith fairly well. The whole guilt thing, that's a normal human emotion. As far as diapers being against Catholicism, they aren't. When a fetish becomes a sin according the Catholic faith is when it leads you to sin(sex outside of marriage for example). A fetish shared with a married partner and brings you together is fine, as long as it doesn't lead you from God. Being a diaper lover or adult baby with your spouse is not a problem. Its when it takes precedence over God or your spouse. Being a diaper lover or adult baby can bring you closer to your spouse in the right light. Its the same with anything, too much of something can lead to an unhealthy life and unhealthy relationships with God and/or your spouse. That's not saying everything is alright and sin free, like you can't kill people but the God I believe in is merciful and is someone who can forgive anything regardless of how horrible, as long as you are penitent.

Now I tried to write that as "professional" as possible. I am far from perfect so I don't want anyone thinking I am some holier than thou person because I am not, but when I first started exploring my abdl side, I felt horribly guilty and didn't know how my religion looked at this topic. I had to piece it together from things I read and listened and I wasn't wanting to bring this up to my priest because, well lets face it, its embarrassing. I had to interpret things and try and make sense of this because there is no Catholic document saying "Diaper Fetishes in the Catholic Faith." I hope this helps if you are struggling with what I struggled with.

Also, just because I know Catholicism is widely misunderstood by most people and people have questions about what we believe, you can ask me questions about Catholicism if you would like. I know some people think we worship Mary for example and that isn't the truth. In a quick short answer, what we actually do is ask Mary to pray for us on our behalf to God. It would be like asking a friend to talk to someone they are closer to on your behalf. I hope that makes sense. I will gladly try and explain things and if I don't know, I'll let you know and try and find an answer, but if you are willing to talk to me, then please have an open mind. I am open minded and can understand other religions, I won't become a follower or believe it, but I can gladly listen and understand and that is all I ask if you want to discuss this with me.

tiny

Est. Contributor
Role
Little
Science does its best, but it is a learning process, and does not always have all the answers. There was a time when science declared the world was flat. 150 years in the future, today's science may look as primitive as did the prescription of tobacco to heal the lungs 150 years ago.
But... science didn't declare tobacco "safe", fallible human beings did. And scientists never declared the world flat! There were no people (scientists or not) who had the necessary understanding to decide whether the world was flat: they simply assumed. If you lived in a time with no such understanding, would you ask whether the world is spherical or conical or cuboid... or would you just have looked around, assume it was more-or-less flat, and simply wonder whether or not it "went on forever", whilst "science" remained silent...?

The only thing anyone knows for certain is that they exist ("I think, therefore I am"). "Science" doesn't refute that; it deals with probabilities and fully accepts uncertainty. In situations where we got it wrong, science hasn't failed; we have been failed by our lack of information. Without access to decades of data comparing the fates of smokers with non-smokers, how could we have predicted something as complex a biological interaction as inhaling the smoke of burning dried tobacco leaves?

The scientific method is a well-established principle for deriving information about how the world works. We can only spot patterns in data, so our scientific beliefs depend on the data collected and on our interpretation of such data. In cases were there is little information, believing in religion isn't an alternative to science! Religion rejects inquiry into the workings of the real world and instructs people to believe in myths and dogma. I can't really see why religion and science could be in competition.

As children we are born scientists, exploring the real world and drawing conclusions about its behaviour. We learn about ideas such as "object persistence" (the notion that the existence of objects doesn't depend upon your observation of them), and only a few esoteric philosophers would deny the existence of the material world... But somehow religion claims that we should suspend our experience and knowledge and believe in absurd ideas and adopt an ideology based on a faith that can never be justified...

I really hope this doesn't sound too harsh... I just don't understand religion... Still give ya a hug, though! :)

AmberBulb95

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
I was also brought up in a religious household and was Christian up until I was around 14 and started asking questions that couldn't be answered without science. I don't intend to mock religion, but while 'developing' and learning I started to question the probability of god, and ultimately formed my own moral code to live by. I reject the existence of god but I acknowledge that it was faith that brought humanity this far, and I'm happy to see that some people still choose to carry that faith.

People evolve through experiences and circumstances, to be the person I had to be I had to indulge my AB side and follow my desire for knowledge while ejecting the religious part of myself. The smartest guy I know is heavily catholic, and I'm envious that he can have such a broad and sharp understanding of the universe but still believe in a deity.

Do whatever feels right; I wasn't happy with religion and my direction of life, so I ditched it. If you can feel natural with religion and your life then great for you!

cm90210

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I think I've shared on adisc more than once that I'm a leader in a Christian church. My interests in this area have created quite the dilemmas for me over the years as many of you have indicated the same.

I essentially have landed through a roundabout means after years of the binge/purge cycle at a place similar to MotoX (welcome again to the forum BTW). I believe God has asked me to place certain limits on my sexuality -- and that my life will be better if I keep in line with them (eg., only have sex with my wife). Fetish/kink is a fine thing to explore within the bounds of that overarching guideline in my estimation. Of course my American scruples have impacted my sense of what seems normal and ok and what seems crazy over the years til recently. Feet? Not weird. Stockings? Not weird. Lingerie. Not weird. Diapers or BDSM or balloons or whatever. Out of bounds because it seems odd.
Shame is a killer in Christian community and i decided im not going to live by it anymore.

One key lack I think we've missed (speaking now of the Christian community) is a desire "theology". In a sense we haven't known what to do with desire and many Christians have written all desire off as evil. In my mind this is nonsense and simply not practiced anyways -- even by the strictest of fundamentalists. Yet we haven't developed a way of thinking about and embracing certain desires and not others In a comprehensive way. The fact is that there are many things people can and do desire that the bible or Jesus or tradition (if you're catholic) doesn't speak of -- and sticking to the fundamentalist literalism won't save us. Acting like desire doesn't exist or like it's intrinsically evil won't help either. We need a way of embracing it carefully -- as clearly there are many things that can be desires that are quite terrible (methamphetamine for example or a shooting-rampage revenge on coworkers or something) and yet others that are benign (hooray for the Dry 24:7 I soaked in bed last night :)

Fascinating

Fascinating Lady - Fantastic in Plastic
Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent, Carer
I think I've shared on adisc more than once that I'm a leader in a Christian church. . . (hooray for the Dry 24:7 I soaked in bed last night :)
Nice combination. My degree from one of the largest Christian Universities in the world and all my love of Bible study and church activities did not prevent me from enjoying wetting a diaper or two last night. You don't have to give up religion just to enjoy a diaper. The Bible has no verse denying diaper use and I am a lover. I do not cringe when I go to church and hear a sermon on diaper use either. LOL has that ever happened? I doubt it. I never heard of a sermon on diapers or a commandment that said, "thou shalt not wet a diaper for pleasure." Anybody that feels guilty about simply wearing a diaper can relax because Christians aren't after you and neither is God. Those that are against it just don't know any better whether Christian or not. God loves us and created us this way.
Psalm 37:4 Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.

LunaCat

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
I'm functionally an atheist, but I grew up in various Christian churches and went to a Baptist middle/high school and church.

How you view this sort of thing really depends on a lot of things other than just "religion". e.g.:
--What religion
----What denomination/distro of said religion
--Is this a sexual fetish
--Do you partake of it by yourself or with a spouse

etc.

e.g. If your distro believes masturbation is wrong, and you are masturbating in diapers, well, there's your answer.

Depending on your level of fundamentalism, even being just sexually aroused by it would be a sin and the fact that you knowingly place yourself in that scenario would also be a sin under the rationale of fleeing from temptation.

In the more lax distros of Christianity, it's really only an issue if you place more importance on it than you do on Jesus/God/whatever. (In which case, damn, son...)

A lot of Christians would suggest that the mere fact you feel guilt over it is a sign of the "Holy Spirit" "speaking" to you about it.

As with most things "spiritual", you're really the only one that can address your issues, unless you believe a deity will speak to you about it directly or indirectly.

I think the safest answer from the Christian perspective would just be "Pray about it."

Why anyone would choose to believe in something with no evidence that admonishes its creations against random things that do not harm its other creations is kind of a mystery to me still :) (Mind you, my intention with that statement isn't "Why are there religious beliefs in general?" so much as "Why does this particular kind of religious belief exist?")

YMMV

Digit

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
"Satanism condones any type of sexual activity which properly satisfies your individual desires be it heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, or even asexual, if you choose. Satanism also sanctions any fetish or deviation which will enhance your sex-life, so long as it involves no one who does not wish to be involved. "

I think that explains itself pretty well :p

Kente

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Well, each man to his own beliefs! But the truth is,that when we die, and there IS God! What are you going to say to Him?.He will say 'Depart from me, I never knew you!!?? Off the Hell you go!
If there is no God, then at least we have lived a decent and clean life here on earth(even in nappies!) and have not hurt anyone!

LunaCat

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
Well, each man to his own beliefs! But the truth is,that when we die, and there IS God! What are you going to say to Him?.He will say 'Depart from me, I never knew you!!?? Off the Hell you go!
If there is no God, then at least we have lived a decent and clean life here on earth(even in nappies!) and have not hurt anyone!
So, Pascal's Wager?

And if there *is* a god and it turns out to be Allah... Or any of the numerous other gods humans have thought up? Or one we have yet to think up? There's about the same rational evidence for many gods humans have thought up as there is for the Christian god.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Christian god, would not be satisfied by such "belief" as it is not really faith at that point but simply risk assessment. This is would be like a child telling you it loves you because it's afraid you'll beat it otherwise. (Except beating a child is by far less severe than what you're proposing god is threatening.)

Also, you can (and plenty do) live a "clean and decent life" without faith where "clean and decent" is defined by you (sans faith obviously). "Not hurting others" is a pretty low bar assuming you're holding everyone to the same standards of success in that.

Anyway, we can all believe as we like, but I never really liked the whole Pascal's Wager mentality. Well, to be fair it sounded ok until I gave it more than a passing thought. Beyond the simple logical issues with it, the morality of it gets quite iffy very quickly. (E.g. What kind of entity would provide no concrete evidence of its existence then condemn others to eternal torture based on their lack of either belief via ignorance or their simple risk assessment and blind luck in choosing the correct entity to believe in?) But this is course all old hat :)

Status
Not open for further replies.