A suggustion for a sticky in story forums. And issue with finished stories section

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyMullet

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
Lordly, that is a long title.

So I like the story forums, I also like writing in the story forums, and in my humble thoughts, I think a story section of a *B/DL forum should be a really solid place for people to see.

So currently we have two stickies in that forum. The first is a friendly reminder to add tags to your stories. Alright, sounds good so far. The second one is a sticky that has a link to some solid advice from our members on some basic writing tips to make the start of a good story. A very good thing to have in that section.

But I do want to point out, that the posts of writers is vastly outnumbered by people who are posting their comments on the stories. Now I am not saying that comments on stories are bad, I love when people comment on my story. That being said, from the standpoint of a writer, the comments of "I like your story, keep it up" or the "Next chapter NOW" isn't helpful. Sure it strokes the ego, but it does not tell me how to improve my stories, or any troubled areas.

So I suggest the following. A short thread that quickly goes over some helpful things when it comes to commenting on a story. How to quickly and concisely mentioned something you liked about the writer's style of writing, while still plainly expressing you enjoyed the story. I will gladly undertake the effort needed to make this post if I have knowledge that it will be a sticky, or attached to another sticky in the forum.

If you like this idea, please post some thoughts you would like to be said in a "How to write good comments for stories" sticky.

The second issue, the finished story section. Due to the default thread cutoff in the user control panel. People do not see stories that exist in the finished story section unless they are explicitly looking for them. While a person can go into their control panel and change the cutoff for old threads, I think that section of the board could be improved if the age of thread cutoff point was removed. Allowing people to read any story that has ever been posted there easily and simply.

TL;DR

So, to summarize my two issues.
1) Create a sticky in the stories forum for teaching people how to leave constructive comments in a story thread.
2) Remove the age cutoff for story threads in the finished story section.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
So if a person very much like myself has no input on how to improve the story I shouldn't say anything at all even if it's not negative at all?

Really if the comments don't help then they don't help, your not going to change that. All you would be doing is stopping people like me saying "Hey I like this, please keep going".

BabyMullet

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
So if a person very much like myself has no input on how to improve the story I shouldn't say anything at all even if it's not negative at all?

Really if the comments don't help then they don't help, your not going to change that. All you would be doing is stopping people like me saying "Hey I like this, please keep going".

Of course not, Doing such a thing would be stupid, and difficult to enforce. I realize that most people will just leave a comment saying "Hey, I liked the story, good job." The purpose of the sticky would be just to get people thinking on how to improve their comments on stories, not make them comment a certain way. I'm sorry if I didn't make that bit clear.

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Carer
  5. Other
I think the sticky is a good idea.

I would definitely sticky a thread explaining how to give constructive criticism or other good story comments.

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Oh I don't like the "good story" comments either, and I really like critiquing a story. I did that here in the beginning for a while.

One writer accused me of being jealous, and left...
Another had me basically write the next chapters (or tried.)

I generally will only critique a story now if I'm asked, or pm'd about it, because frankly, I don't feel like getting bitched at because joe schmoes story isn't perfect, and I point that out.

Sadly, a lot of writers here only want an ego-stroke for their writing (that may or may not be horrible.)

I will not read stories now, because I can't stand not pointing out the flaws. I think it's a crucial part of reading. But again, people are whiny and bitchy, or lazy. Or maybe I'm just jealous. ;)

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
It's a shame that people have gotten on you for giving critiques, Abby. There is never a perfect story, and there is always something to critique, even if that bitch has been published worldwide!

If you "like a story" and want it to "keep going," then for God's sake, tell the writer why! Tell them the characters are well written, tell them that you like the plot, the situations, the writing, their use of words, their choice of setting, anything. If you like a story, there's a reason why, so elucidate. Saying, "I like the story" is sort of like saying "I don't like dogshit." Usually, there's a reason we don't like dogshit (smell, texture, look, taste).

Er, wait....

Well, you get what I'm saying! If you want a writer to keep going, then you need to encourage them by speaking to their sensibilities. Any writer who is a writer is not just not encouraged by "I like your story, please keep going," but is probably easily pissed off by it. They took the time to write a good story for you. The least you can do is spend some time to give them a good critique and not just show them that you read, but that the story spoke to you.

BabyMullet

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
Alright, so went forth and created a thread here

Please feel free to add on to the post. Hopefully we can create a good article for the community that covers as many bases as possibly in a concise way.

I am now going to sleep and improve on the handful of hours I have slept in the past few days.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
  1. Private
re: a sticky thread of useful feedback... that's a very good idea. If you write one, I will stick it. This goes for anyone else too - if you want to write a sticky aimed at improving a certain forum, please drop me a line - the answer will likely be 'yes' :)

re: defaulting the 'finished stories' forum to show all threads... it should already do this. Please check if it does. If it does not, that is a bug, and you should PM me about it so I can take a look if it is some account-specific setting that is hiding them for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.