A remedy against Suicide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Target

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Surfing the net, I've found this site:
FT.com / Video & Audio / Interactive graphics - When death is a reminder to live

Some companies, in Korea, as suicide prevention, send their employees to this courses where they experience their funeral.
They lays down in a coffin for five minutes with a whit flower on their chest and they read their last wills in a dark room in front of the persons who will be there in case of their real funeral.
Many of them feels sad, decide to not commit suicide and, sometimes, employees increase their productivity.

The same person who created this "well-dying" courses is now creating new experiences, like a fake cremation and a fake day in jail (to dissuade people to commit illegal actions).

This is happening in Korea with good results.
Do you think it could be useful to in America and Europe?

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I think it could work...But I think we may have a higher suicide rate, which would mean we would need a lot more people dedicated to making these fake things

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I don't think any situation is hopeless enough to do harm to yourself, there are ways to get help with everything, but you need the courage to ask for help.

FluffyFluffers

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur, Sissy
But....But....But... BUBBA Was nice to me..... He made me feel special.. XD

Yeah It might help in other countries.

quattrus

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur, Carer
It's something similar to what was shown some time ago on a French TV channel about what they do on French highways to prevent accidents.

When someone gets caught speeding, drinking drunk or behaving in a potentially harmful way as a driver, cops not only give him the fine he deserves, but take him into their van and show him a video that collects horrible (real) scenes of car crashes with people burning alive inside their cars etc... etc... and I bet everyone who has seen such things is going to think twice before engaging in crazy driving again.

If seen under this perspective, the fake funeral can be an interesting idea, but the fact that you have to show people their own funerals to make them realize that life is better than death clearly tells that we're living in a very sad world of mentally ill people where madness has taken the place of logic and common sense.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
Eh... I've seen horrible car crashes... I've seen faces of death... I still drive fast.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Eh... I've seen horrible car crashes... I've seen faces of death... I still drive fast.
But have you experienced it? That's what these things are showing...What it would be like if it happened to you, by you experiencing it...Watching it happen to other people isn't as must of an impact

Target

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
the fact is if you experience something shocking, your mind will remember it easily, so the shock of laying in a casket or being involved in a car accident, will prevent you from doing it again.
In this case fear turn useful.

About car accidents, I've experienced it by myself with a scooter, and probably I'll never drive a scooter anymore.

care_a_lot

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
It sounds like an interesting idea. But those people who are so down on themselves mentally may still take that final leap even after they have been shown what happens. There are some people out there who really believe that nobody would care so to see people show up might be a bit of a shock. But when the mind starts revolving around suicide and how it would make things easier for all around you there's not much that would magically stop you from doing this.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I think the fake suicide-funeral would only work if your own loved ones were at the funeral. It might be a good bonding experience. You would have to have the right kind of family/loved ones however.

I remember back in the '70s I think, they had "scared straight". They would take a bunch of kids in trouble to jail, Trenton, N.J. I think, and the jail inmates would scare the crap out of them. The show Malcom in the Middle did a funny take-off of it when Reese went to jail and behaved horribly.

I too remember the car crash movies they showed us in driver ed. Nothing made an impact on me however, as the accident I witnessed leaving work one day. (Danger Will Robinson! He's leaving topic!) A woman with her 3 children ran a red light to save a minute. At the same time, a big loaded cement truck was barralling through the intersection with it timed so he wouldn't have to down shift. He caught her square in the side of the car with his big raised bumper. I came out our back door because I had ridden my bike to work.

The carnage was unreal. The boy in the front seat had been smashed between the engine and the frame of the car. He had been so ripped apart that you could smell his intestinal food/vomit and the ripped large intestine/excrement. The cement truck bumper also caught the back side of the car, pushing in and up, catching the two younger children in the head. I understood later, that they were permanently and profoundly brain damaged. The mother was seriously injured, but otherwise survived to live with what a moment of misjudgement caused. I will never forget that accident as long as I live. It always makes me think, "Do I want to run this light? I don't think so."

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
First off I don't think laying in a coffin would prevent me from wanting to kill myself. If I did die I won't be awake for the funeral, I won't be there well my body will be I won't.

Anyway my car accident wasn't nearly fatal at all to me or anyone else in the van that day thanks to seat beats (Seat Belts For The Win!)
But even before that I was scarred to even drive. I do know I don't ever want to be in a rollover again, once is surely enough.

ZodiacPup

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur
I think that's a good idea, but also focusing on other things will help more. I know this will sound stupid, but when I was deeply depressed, it happenned that my dad bought a new Nintendo console. At first I didn't even want to touch it, but after I tried it, I didn't think in other thing than the videogame. Also having a job and going to the gym has prevented me from having sad impulses (ADISC works the same too ^^).

Anyway, if you feel bad, you should go and walk around and take some beautiful photos of your surroundings. That might sound odd, but it is a good help, and it is a lot easier than faking a funeral.

X

xdeadx

I think it's different when you see something than when you experience it. I used to play around on monkey bars a lot when I was younger depsite the fact of seeing people fall and get hurt. But then I fell and snapped my arm in half. I'm like afraid of monkey bars now >.>

So I think this could help on some people, but others are just so bent on death that it might encourage them.

Titus

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Carer
I wanted to ask a question, but I didn't want to make a thred, to all of you who deem the act of suicide as immoral: If we are not brought into this world by means of natural selection, of free choice nor of the choosing of a supreme being.
Do you believe, looking away from any obligations and responsibility as a member of society, a family member or simply as a human being, that we have the right to choose how we live our lives? Do you believe that we are free to do what we think we desire the most?
Do you not believe in the right to choose not to live? For what then is freedom? Is it an actual gift or is it just another illusion?

quattrus

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur, Carer
Do you not believe in the right to choose not to live? For what then is freedom? Is it an actual gift or is it just another illusion?
Personally, instead of morality, I prefer to believe in logic and rationality.

And logic tells me that, for how bad things can seem, if you're alive you can make new choices, and thus give yourself new possibilities. Death, being the unreversible end of the individual, is the negation of any further possibility or choice.

If you choose to live you may regret it, but you may also be glad you did. If you choose to die, you won't have this option anymore.

I'm not saying that someone cannot choose to kill himself, I just find it an absolutely irrational decision. But after all our world is full of irrationality, so no big surprise people still kill themselves.

Titus

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Carer
Personally, instead of morality, I prefer to believe in logic and rationality.

And logic tells me that, for how bad things can seem, if you're alive you can make new choices, and thus give yourself new possibilities. Death, being the unreversible end of the individual, is the negation of any further possibility or choice.

If you choose to live you may regret it, but you may also be glad you did. If you choose to die, you won't have this option anymore.

I'm not saying that someone cannot choose to kill himself, I just find it an absolutely irrational decision. But after all our world is full of irrationality, so no big surprise people still kill themselves.
I understand, I can definitely relate to your way of reasoning.
Thank you Quattrus, for giving a well thought through answer to a slightly silly and morbid question.

I didn't quite know what answer I was expecting in the first place in that last post of mine either. It's just that in several threads now, where suicide have been the topic at hand, I've read that some think of it as highly immoral, almost as an act of heresy or betrayal against the gift of life and the human race. I guess I just wanted the reason for that particular philosophy.

Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Carer, Other
Honestly it's just scare-tactics, if the person was serious about killing his/her self, laying in a coffin would not stop him/her from doing it. If you're distraught enough even to remotely consider suicide a plausible option, putting someone where they want to be won't exactly help.

Honestly it just seems like they're taking the lazy way out of trying to stop someone from committing suicide, if you were serious about it you would get them mental help and try to keep them safe from themselves, not try to scare the depression away.

Status
Not open for further replies.