Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Needs more development

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kitty0230

I see some of our newbies have horrid grammar, not all of them, but a few, I propose that we have a social group or something designed to improve their grammar that they are required to join. The social group would be a way to teach them proper grammar, we would measure their success based on their posts consistently displaying an attempt at capitalization and spelling. Not asking for perfection, but an attempt, they would need to get the OK from one of the staff to leave the group, and being part of the group would delay their getting regular status or something like that, still haven't perfected the plan and I was hoping for your input.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
It won't work. Most is at least somewhat legible. It makes us seem like Grammar Nazi's

F

FullMetal

Let me get this straight:

We are a group, aimed...hmm...mostly at teens or people age 13-25 who come here for support.
These teens, or even older people, most likely go to school 5 times a week.
This is more of a break away from their 'everyday' routine.

I am not sure, but if you want less member, sure this could work. And by less I mean, instead of having 1 new member per day, we would have 1 new member per year.

ADISC is fine the way it is, no need to make any adjustments.

FullMetal

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I think they need to learn good grammar and it's correct use in school. They can also learn by our example, and positive encouragement.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
No no no. What about the folks whose 'orrible grammar is due to being 12 or from a learning disability or from speaking not-English as a first language? Not to mention deliberate misspellings/unorthodox grammar? To that thar notion, Oi says "bai bai" . Not all folks making mistakes can help it, nor are they always due to laziness.

We have already-stressed newbies.

I hate the thought of lording my "better English" - over anybody else. Ugh.

Oh, wait, was you being serious, Catty, or did I just have my chain yanked? Does this thread have anything to do with the practical jokes thread? Calling the thread "A Modest Proposal" is a giveaway; well done; yanked my chain surely is.

Last edited:

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
We should definitely eat the poor, even if we don't enact this thing.

Which wouldn't work because English isn't everyone's first language. I think people need to get over bad grammar and look at ideas.

Maxicoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
  6. Little
This is the internet after all. You have to expect bad grammar. Leave grammar to the English teachers.

Last edited:

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
That's the beauty of the English language. You can butcher it pretty horribly, and yet people still know exactly what you're saying. Really, the only thing that really gets me is complete lack of punctuation. I just refuse to read such posts. That, and when people don't know about paragraphs and write everything in one gigantic block :p.

Grutzvalt

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
I disagree with this. I think we should have some mods (Who also happen to be grammar nazi's), who are actually more of just spellcheckers. These people could go through and edit posts, and these edits would be submitted to the real mods. Personally, I feel my finger twitching over the neg-rep button when ever "i reed somthin liek dis." Seriously, you have a backspace key- use it!

Role
  1. Private
I disagree with this. I think we should have some mods (Who also happen to be grammar nazi's), who are actually more of just spellcheckers. These people could go through and edit posts, and these edits would be submitted to the real mods.

Too much unnecessary work, plus it's a little disrespectful. Basically a slap in the face saying "Your grammar is shit! Go back to school!"

I'm sure a lot of people here realise they've horrible grammar, or they just don't care, but is it that much of a problem?

Here's the major points to consider:

We are a group, aimed...hmm...mostly at teens or people age 13-25 who come here for support.
This is more of a break away from their 'everyday' routine.l

Definitely. I'm sure people just want to 'lax and chill out when they visit. We are a social site, people wouldn't come here if they were constantly whipped about how they present themselves - there's nothing relaxing about that.

Which wouldn't work because English isn't everyone's first language. I think people need to get over bad grammar and look at ideas.

Both are excellent reasons to just leave this whole issue untouched.

People may have undeveloped language [English] skills, either through English being a 2nd/3rd language, or via a learning difficulty. You can't tell them to improve overnight, because that's asking for the impossible.

In addition to that, what you say can sometime be more important than how you say it. If your message is clear and well thought out, I don't think many people would have a problem with how you expressed it (although having a clear message is usually the result of having good grammar).

Kraiden

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
We allready have "unwitten" rules about spelling, and I think general community backlash does the job just fine, even if it may take a while.

I've got no problems with the odd spelling mistake, odd missing punctuation, etc. When someone is incapable of spelling simple words right (and they live in an English speaking nation), I've got a problem with it. I don't care if you're 14, if you can't use Paragraphs or type basic english and not mobile phone abbreviation speak, me and other members *will* get pissed off and refer to it, and even give out neg rep if it's called for.

Unwritten Rule #4: If it's worth saying, it's worth saying properly.

B

Butterfly Mage

As someone else pointed out, people with certain learning disabilities are just going to have more spelling/grammar errors than those without. I have mild dyslexia and I make spelling errors all the time. It's not because I don't care about spelling, but when individual parts of words re-arrange themselves on their own accord, I have to look *really* hard to spot the difference between "their" and "their" or "lose" and "loose". I *can* do it, but it doesn't come naturally!

PostTenebrasLux

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
I see some of our newbies have horrid grammar, not all of them, but a few, I propose that we have a social group or something designed to improve their grammar that they are required to join. The social group would be a way to teach them proper grammar, we would measure their success based on their posts consistently displaying an attempt at capitalization and spelling. Not asking for perfection, but an attempt, they would need to get the OK from one of the staff to leave the group, and being part of the group would delay their getting regular status or something like that, still haven't perfected the plan and I was hoping for your input.

So does rampant improper use of commas count as bad grammar too? How about inappropriately leaving out the pronoun "I"?

Just came in to pick nits, don't worry about it.

Dr_J

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I noticed one potential problem that nobody has talked about in here yet: the people who need the help themselves.

Have you ever noticed that when you inform some folks of their not-so-good spelling skills, they sometimes leave the site or just lash out at you? I'm not saying that everyone does this, but there are a few.

Additionally, these folks will have to want to learn, and if they come here on their free time, will they want to use their free time to learn, especially when some of them are in school all day?

The idea is good, but I just don't think it'll work here unless we had some people who truly desire to learn and improve.

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Carer
  5. Other
Wiki article addressing common spelling and grammar errors.
Neutral rep with link.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
That's a horrible idea for the reasons already mentioned.

I disagree with this. I think we should have some mods (Who also happen to be grammar nazi's), who are actually more of just spellcheckers. These people could go through and edit posts, and these edits would be submitted to the real mods.

Too much unnecessary work, plus it's a little disrespectful. Basically a slap in the face saying "Your grammar is shit! Go back to school!"

I'm sure a lot of people here realise they've horrible grammar, or they just don't care, but is it that much of a problem?

Here's the major points to consider:

This is more of a break away from their 'everyday' routine.l

Definitely. I'm sure people just want to 'lax and chill out when they visit. We are a social site, people wouldn't come here if they were constantly whipped about how they present themselves - there's nothing relaxing about that.

Both are excellent reasons to just leave this whole issue untouched.

People may have undeveloped language [English] skills, either through English being a 2nd/3rd language, or via a learning difficulty. You can't tell them to improve overnight, because that's asking for the impossible.

In addition to that, what you say can sometime be more important than how you say it. If your message is clear and well thought out, I don't think many people would have a problem with how you expressed it (although having a clear message is usually the result of having good grammar).

QFE

Peachy

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer
- It's the internet.
- It's a forum where people of all ages, backgrounds and races meet.
- It's a forum with lots of non-native speakers (although those seem to make the fewest spelling errors).

- It's not the publisher's meeting for the Oxford English Dictionary.

- If you have horrid grammar, get a book that teaches you proper English.
- If you're too lazy to try to type properly or to improve your spelling, then you deserve being told off.
- If u typ lik its a txt msg, u dserv all da ridicule u can get.
- If you have a condition that impairs your spelling, you should be wise enough to use a spell checker to differentiate yourself from the lazy dumb kids.

And...

- If you think that mods should correct grammar and spelling, you should keep your credit card ready. We now sell grammar and spell checks for only 20 Euros per message. Call now: 0800 - SPEL CHK!

My :twocents:

Peachy

S

soren456

The one thing I really can't stand is a member who texts in the forums.

They're lucky we're not in the same room, because I would wring their f*cking necks.

(Can I say f*cking?)

angelabauer

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
Perhaps the OP should carefully copy edit. The first post is hardly a fine example of Standard English usage.

Of course in an ideal world young adults in English speaking countries will learn to write in a clear and business-like way when to them this is necessary.

Since I started communicating with the ABDL community I have posted that these forums are a grand venue in which to practice copy editing. Never have I suggested this be mandatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.