A little embarassed here, need to talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zedmain

Contributor
So for some reason I feel very weird about coming to this part of the site. Semi-lately, i've been having some, uh, bedwetting issues. It is about as common as 2-3 times a week right now. Now this makes me feel very uncomfortable, and i'm not sure why it is happening, so that is why i'm posting here ofcourse, maybe to get answers because you guys are familiar with this stuff. I'm going to say now, these aren't "wet dreams" (I would actually be rather relieved if they were because that would make a lot more sense). I do go to the bathroom every night before I go to sleep...

Look, I just want to know, is this normal or something for someone my age? I'm 19, and I think i'm healthy. I do have asperger's, and I have been on anti-anxiety medication for about 3-4 months now.

I don't think anything is medically wrong with me. I work out 3-5 times a week, I actively participate in sports and outdoor activities. I don't see what the issue could be, but this has been making me very uncomfortable and I don't like having to keep washing my sheets, so please if you guys know what's up please tell me. Should I go to a doctor or...? I'm truthfully not comfortable with this at all and I don't want to address my parents about it, as I still live with them.

Any advice or knowledge you guys could share would be heavily appreciated.

Thanks.

Bedwetting can be stress- and anxiety-related, but even so, it seems reasonable to see a doctor about it. Do you have any reason to believe that your parents would react badly to that? Prolonging or compounding your anxiety by not simply addressing a (possible) medical issue seams really unnecessary, and might even exacerbate the issue if it is anxiety-related.

I agree wholeheartedly with CottonTail.

There are many reasons for starting to wet the bed, both mental and physical. Some I think the best course is to start at the beginning and see a doctor to rule out your medications and any illness.

That's a shame. I'd get some goodnites bedmats or another brand or where some sort of pull-up or lowkey type diaper.

I just read your very first post to ADISC, and from this it seems these problems have been happening longer than just "lately". Please don't suffer in silence. Have you told anybody about this so far besides us? If you haven't seen a doctor yet, please make an appointment no later than Monday. Preferably with the doctor who prescribed the anti-anxiety drug, I think, otherwise your GP. Like Cottontail said, anxiety and stress are very common causes of bedwetting, and it seems you've been dealing with both in abundance. If the problem has gotten worse lately...well, college classes just started again, so that seems like a reasonable cause and effect. In any case, you'll also want to get checked for other possible causes. How have you been dealing with this so far?

I realize that bedwetting and diapers can be embarrassing, but try to think about it in general terms. It's a medical problem, no more and no less, and no different from diabetes or asthma or some food allergy, except that it's thankfully never going to land you in the hospital. If your doctor prescribed a different medication or increased the dosage and the problem magically went away, that would be worth the effort, wouldn't it? If you haven't spoken to your parents, hiding it all this time is just adding to your stress. Doctors are professionals and deal with this a whole lot more than you think. And I'm sure your parents want the best for you and would be happy to shoulder some of the burden if it would help, i.e. getting you some supplies. Yes, it's going to feel weird talking about it, but 10 minutes later you're going to feel so much BETTER. Try to focus on that.

I hope this helped. Let us know what happens.

Zedmain, I am incontinent and a bedwetter, so I can understand your anxiety. What you are experiencing is not normal. Please talk with your doctor soon. He should refer you to a urologist for testing. The testing is embarrassing but very necessary. Many of us have been through it and, while not pleasant, it is not as bad as most people expect.

Good luck.

--John

jdinvirginia said:
Zedmain, I am incontinent and a bedwetter, so I can understand your anxiety. What you are experiencing is not normal. Please talk with your doctor soon. He should refer you to a urologist for testing. The testing is embarrassing but very necessary. Many of us have been through it and, while not pleasant, it is not as bad as most people expect.

Good luck.

--John

The testing is definitely a must. I have had them all not fun but at least I know why I am incontinent and it isn't life threatening. Just incurable but I can live with it.

Hi Zedmain, my medication (celexa) did exactly what's happening to you about 15 yrs ago. It was horrible and took some tests to figure the cause. Cutting the dosage didn't help much so we cut it out. No more problem until my latest accident. Good luck.

It could be related to the medicine you've been taking.

From another website:

Antidepressants and other mental health drugs

Which ones: Drugs with anticholinergic effects, which means drugs that block the neurotransmitter acetylcholine; brand names Norpramin, Cogentin, Haldol, Risperdal; generic names nortriptylene, amitriptyline, desipramine, benztropine, haloperidol, risperidone

Why they may be culprits: These medications affect the elasticity of the bladder, preventing it from contracting all the way, so it doesn't fully empty. But urine continues to enter the bladder, leading to overflow incontinence, which happens when the bladder overfills and leaks without giving the signal to go.

What to do: If you think your antidepressant or another anticholinergic drug is affecting your bladder, talk to your doctor about switching to an alternative medication. Interestingly, some tricyclic antidepressants have been found to help with incontinence, so you may need to work with your prescribing doctor and try different ones until you find the one that works for you without unwanted side effects.

There is a chance your anti-anxiety medication could be responsible for your enurisis. They are often a benzo, which could be keeping you in a deep enough state to not be able to wake up. If this is the case, weigh the pros and cons. Benzos can be addicting and cause long term problems.

First off don't be embarrassed bed wetting is very common and does happen in all ages. I would talk with your doctor some medications can cause bladder issues and have them check you and make sure your not diabetic. I have a couple friends that are diabetic and they both have bladder issues 1 of them even wears diapers 24/7 the meds they gave him did not help with holding his bladder. So please see your Doc as I'm sure he can help!

I am diabetic and incontinent.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a part of this forum or webpage as most of us are in a similar situation to you, Suddenly having incontinence related problems can be a nightmare and you can sometimes feel like your a freak or like your all-alone out there.

But it is important not to think this way as it's only going to depress you further we've all been through experiences like the one mentioned above and you should take heart in knowing that you have friends and support on this webpage, I myself have been through exactly what you are experiencing right now and I have had to resort to wearing diapers as my prefers form of protection and I can tell you there's nothing wrong with that as long as your not hurting anyone or breaking any laws.

If you reach out to help don't be scared as most of us myself included are just like giant teddy bears in heart and will understand if you need a virtual hugging so to speak, I myself have disabilities in the form of Autisum and neurological damage from past epilepsy suffered in 1992-1993 when I was 12-13 years old, thankfully I don't have diabetes although I do understand that going through this is never easy as I have had friends and relatives who have suffered from this debilitating condition at some point in their lives and the thing is not to look at I as I you have a problem but to look at it as an opertunitunity to find people who are like yourself and to reach out to those who need it at times of crisis and to triumph over adversity in life after all we only get one life so don't worry about it too much.

Obviously it's a good idea to get yourself checked out by a doctor or nurse once you start having these problems but it is important that you don't have to feel alienated from society because of your medical conditions.

Anyway if you need a friend I am right here for you as I will support you 100% and will always listen to you when you need my help and advice so please don't hesitate to contact me at any-time before midnight or on Saturday when I am unavailable.

Yours sincerely

Chinababy888.

Last edited:
Well worth talking with your doc about it - esp if its meds related - and grab some protection in the mean time to save you the laundry! Hope its going ok

bedwetting is not normal. If you've ever been dry at night for 6 months or longer and it restarts later in life it's called secondary nocturnal enuresis and is almost always the sign of an underlying medical condition. It could be something as minor as overactive bladder to more serious things like diabetes or even cancer (unlikely).

Secondary nocturnal enuresis should be discussed with a doctor to rule out major problems.

This happened to me. I started wetting the bed earlier this year. It started with one time...then again a few weeks later, gradually becoming more and more often. Now it's every night. I ended up seeing a urologist and had a whole slew of uncomfortable and invasive tests done. He ultimately diagnosed me with overactive bladder and prescribed me some useless pills. I tried 5 different meds. None worked and all had unbearable side effects. I'm NOT ab/dl and would rather just wear diapers to bed. That's how I manage it. My wife is very supportive.

"Stress/anxiety" can cause bedwetting but my urologist told me that's pretty rare. Usually it's in younger kids (parents divorced, parent died etc or abuse). When people in their late teens or adulthood start wetting the bed it's usually a medical issue.

So yes, ABSOLUTELY go see a doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back