A couple questions for experienced diaper wearers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boyhood

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hello. I have a few things I'd like to figure out.

I am currently wearing a Secure X-Plus, and they are awesome because they haven't leaked on me yet, and they also can be retaped because of the frontal taping zone, so I can sleep with one and it's always a decision for me to wet or not to wet, that is the question whenever I wake up.

1.) Are there any other diapers that can be retaped without the tapes getting ruined? (Hopefully the Abena AbriForm X-Plus)

2.) What are the best bags to conceal scent? (Hopefully something that Wal-Mart sells.)

babyemo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
abena x plus will be destroyed trying to retape
bambinos are great for retaping, for the same reason, good plastic front

bags? walmart plastic grocery bags! just tie them tight and it wont smell for days

Nicky

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
as much as i love the abri form x plus..the tapes really do suck.

actually, the tapes suck even before you have 're-tape'. thats why i've adopted the staple method. although if you dont place the tapes in the right spot the first time, you're kind of screwed.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
bambinos are great for retaping, for the same reason, good plastic front

bags? walmart plastic grocery bags! just tie them tight and it wont smell for days

You CAN retape Abena X plus.. there are kind of two tabs on them. The blue part which seams like duct tape to me and the white part which can be removed from the blue tape. Of course the white tab's suck ass when they are not right on the blue tab. So my best advice is tape it on exactly how you want it and use it as much as you want to before you take it off.

So yeah don't even bother retaping X-plus. Its a great diaper but the tabs need work.

As for the printed Bambino's they are the best diaper I ever retapped. Just make sure you tape directly over the prints since its a different plastic then the rest of the diaper. I think its mailing tape and I don't think its printed on the diapers at all at least by the company that makes the diapers.

Also where the hell is Darkfinn? He's the one that's supposed to answer this.

diapeybabybrian

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover

What? I'm sorry, but do you even know what you're talking about? Abena X Plus, Abena Supers....etc...They are ALL great for Re-Taping.

Babyemo, perhaps you tried re-taping the Blue tape?

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
I hate those tabs where its one, with the blue one underneath...I hate them so much!!

Boyhood

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
i'm so confused. yeah-- where is that darkfinn guy when you need him?

Ace

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I'd love to see better tabs on the x-pluses and others. Anyway, in answer to the-ownage's question, I haven't seen other high quality plastic backed diapers that can truly be re-taped like the secure's can. I know Abena's and Dry 24/7 cannot be re-taped as they both have that two tape blue and white system. Other than the secures, I think you will have to go to a plastic backed diaper, the Attend's breathables are re-tapeable, but personally I was not impressed.

As for the disposal situation, I'm not sure what size trash bags you are looking for, if you are just going to bag one diaper, then just use those little plastic bags you get at walmart or something. If you're asking about larger bags like kitchen trash bags, some do come coated with an odor neutralizer. I think some of the more expensive ones, maybe like the glad force-flex may have this. A little something that I do, I put a sheet of fabric softener - the type you put in the dryer with your clothes, in the bottom of the trash can, helps keep things fresh smelling.

diapeybabybrian

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I never understood WHY everyone HATES on Abena Tapes?!?!?!

I've NEVER had any problems with them, but I always hear constant bickering as to their quality.

If you Tape them on correctly, then you can Re-Tape them Correctly.

Moisture from sweat or lotion (or both) will not allow the tapes to re-stick properly...Has anyone ever considered this might be the problem?

All I'm sayin', is that you guys need to give Abena tapes another chance. There's nothing wrong with them (in My opinion).

Last edited:

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur

I've NEVER had any problems with them, but I always hear constant bickering as to their quality.

Moisture from sweat or lotion (or both) will not allow the tapes to re-stick properly...Has anyone ever considered this might be the problem?

All I'm sayin', is that you guys need to give Abena tapes another chance. There's nothing wrong with them (in My opinion).

I find them unpredictable, which is almost worse than totally unreliable. Yes, they can be re-taped quite well, but they can't be adjusted. You have to stick with where the blue tape lands if you ever want to make further adjustments. Over lengthy periods of wear, the fit can change, making the ability to adjust a bonus. Aside from that, I find that the tapes tend to lose their adhesiveness after a few hours under light stress and you get tape popping, which I find annoying. They've obviously spent some time, money, and thought on a good taping solution, but to me, it's not as good as just a regular old good tape to attach to the shell of the diaper itself, and definitely a far cry from the really effective taping panel on the Secure Plus and X-Plus.

If they work well for you, that's great, but I think with this many complaints among people who know their diapers, there's something not quite right with them. I rarely use lotion or powder, and I've been very careful with their product (moreso than with others) to see if it was something I was doing. Sometimes they stick like glue, sometimes they pop off. I also don't really like how they clump when wet, but it's really the tapes that put me off them the most.

PFD

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
You can simply pull the diaper down and take it off that way. Putting it back up demands some care: just keep the wings from the front in hand as you pull up the sides, holding the front and the back of the diaper at the same time. Push up on the legs when they get to the point on your thighs were doing so is best/necessary - pulling up the legs from the waistband is neither necessary nor good for the diaper. Once the diaper is up, adjust the wings from the front part, pulling them back, and up or down, from the top and bottom.
I'll do this when I got a diaper on with "mileage" left in it and need to defecate. As with anything, you'll get better with practice. I wear Abena, by the way, and always use 1" wide waterproof bandage/adhesive tape on them, the tapes do suck.

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer

I am with brian, I think the abena tapes are great! I do not understand why people hate them so much. They stick sooooo well. Like super glue litterally! Also they DO retape, but can really only retape once, but that should be all you need unless you suck at diapering yourself haha.

Oh yeah and for disposing I use a actual diaper pale with a regular trash bag in it. The lid keeps most of the smell from escaping, until you open it, then your knocked off your feet! lol Also everytime I put a diaper in my pale I twist the top of the bag shut (I do NOT tie it) this way it keeps the smell from escaping even more. Although of course a diaper pale is not very plausible for someone trying to hide diapers from other people in the house, unless you have a big closet no one goes into.

Last edited:

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Lets start an ADISC petition to fix the tabs on X Plus.

There's nothing wrong with them. I am sure if we e-mailed the makers they will say the blue tabs aren't made for re-adjusting but the white tops of them are. Though I don't bother with that since if you take those off and put them somewhere else the tabs are a lot weaker. and considering how heavy a wet diaper can get it would really just rip them off.

So if I or any one else wears a X-plus you better be committed to staying in it. Though you can pull it down and up like a pull-up but even that loosens it up a bit.

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Suecure X plus are the only diapers I have used that can be retaped and the tapes stay where you put them, as far a the bag to toss them I was useing walmart zip lock bags, lately I started buying the bags with the little zipper on them, there alot easyer to close.

At one point I was freezeing them, because it is a long time between trash days here, and I was confident they wound not smell in the freezer in those bags.

bebehuey

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
  4. Private
As far as Abena Goes, i've been using them almost exclusively for months, i was however looking for a better diaper out there because my first case of abena, i had far too many with unforgivable tape problems, the rest of the construction is excellent, the best diaper i have ever worn. its just that darned tape issue. i have taken to keeping a roll of med tape in my bag because of this. the first case i got though, i kept pulling up diapers that had the tapes pre stuck to odd and important places on the diaper (imagine pulling up 3 in a row with the bottom right tape stuck to the bottom of the crotch out of the bag) it always seems to be the right bottom tape never, ever wants to hold. aside from that, i consider them an excellent diaper

ShyBaby

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
One solution to the re-taping thing is to add your own landing zone for the tapes, ie: before you put it on, stick some clear packing tape across the front panel in the areas where you would normally stick the tapes. The tapes can be stuck and unstuck without wrecking the diaper's plastic - you may even find it sticks a little more reliably. (It doesn't look as dodgy as it sounds if you do it right)

I had been using Abri Air Plus for the last year or so which seem to have quite reliable tapes, but recently thought I'd try going back to the regular, plastic backed ones and sure enough they pop on a regular basis - most annoying.

As for the reliability of of tapes in general, I think it has a lot to do with your body shape and how you position them. They are less likely to pop if they are stretched around a convex bit of your body, holding them flat. Easier said than done, but things like choosing the best size and adjusting the angle can make a difference.

One other thing I hesitate to bring it up, but how much fat you carry in that area makes a difference. I used to be quite overweight (well, technically obese) and had endless problems with tapes popping. After a concerted effort recently, I lost a load of it and now find the tapes on most diapers work a lot better.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
One solution to the re-taping thing is to add your own landing zone for the tapes, ie: before you put it on, stick some clear packing tape across the front panel in the areas where you would normally stick the tapes. The tapes can be stuck and unstuck without wrecking the diaper's plastic - you may even find it sticks a little more reliably. (It doesn't look as dodgy as it sounds if you do it right)

That's exactly what bambino's are I think. So I am calling bullshit on Bambino for saying its printed on where the diapers are made or whatever. It is cute and what not but really. <_>

Status
Not open for further replies.